House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MotoHomer

Proliferation Of "sold" Notices

I've been lurking on this site for many months now and have gleaned a lot of useful information and intel on what's going on underneath the surface of the housing market, but there's something fishy going on in my town at the moment.

I live in Fleet, Hampshire and in the last few weeks most of the many "for sale" signs have been replaced by "sold" signs, almost overnight. It's now almost impossible to find a "for sale" sign. I can't believe that all these houses have suddenly sold and I think that the EAs are introducing a new tactic to try to convince people that the market is picking up.

Just wanderin' if anyone has any thoughts and if this tactic is being used elsewhere.

MotoHomer

I've been lurking on this site for many months now and have gleaned a lot of useful information and intel on what's going on underneath the surface of the housing market, but there's something fishy going on in my town at the moment.

I live in Fleet, Hampshire and in the last few weeks most of the many "for sale" signs have been replaced by "sold" signs, almost overnight. It's now almost impossible to find a "for sale" sign. I can't believe that all these houses have suddenly sold and I think that the EAs are introducing a new tactic to try to convince people that the market is picking up.

Just wanderin' if anyone has any thoughts and if this tactic is being used elsewhere.

MotoHomer

Have noticed EA's windows in Bristol have started to fill their windows with "sold" properties, one in particular has a window display where every property displayed is "sold".

SSTC notices - simple trick to play, take the SSTC down after a week or two and put up a reavailable notice :rolleyes:

Ok, I don't understand.

The sellers would have to be offered some kind of incentive for agreeing to this?

To get the volume required I don't believe the EAs could claim it was a 'mistake'.

So how do we think it works?..

I've seen the same thing, the for sale signs suddenly disappearing, but this time with the more ambiguous, "under offer".

Can't quite see how this benefits anyone.

The seller may lose out on genuine enquiries.

The EA looks rubbish if lots of deals (appear) to start falling through.

Buyers assume its just an EA trick!

Typical uselessly naive thread as usual.

Perhaps the estate agents are delighted to have received several offers over a range of properties and are letting the public know through whatever means necessary. It's no secret that post August the market has begun to stir.

Some of you are going to have to get a grip. Not everybody in the whole world is against FTBs.

I agree with Steve. The stalemate is breaking. Whether this will be good for the bears remains to be seen. But increased activity may mean decreasing prices. Alternatively, it could mean even more debt fueled muppetry.

I don't believe that there's a conspiracy, but this practice does happen especially on new-build developments. Where there is an entire development of unsold houses a few 'sold' signs around the place helps create the impression that they're selling like hot cakes.

Perhaps the estate agents are delighted to have received several offers over a range of properties and are letting the public know through whatever means necessary. It's no secret that post August the market has begun to stir.

That would be more convincing if most of the 'Sold' signs around here didn't magically become 'For Sale' signs again a few weeks later...

Typical uselessly naive thread as usual.

Some of you are going to have to get a grip. Not everybody in the whole world is against FTBs.

Its just an anecdotal keep your hair on! Just as an aside my local EA has taken to sending out a mailing list of properties sold within 500m of the recipients post code - it includes the price they sold for and a link to the land registry. Very helpful as it lets me know the market is moving very slowly and the direction is downwards!

I think the property stagnation of the past 18 months is, ever so gradually, beginning to break. So more 'Sold' signs, shouldn't be a surprise.

The good news is, I reckon it's *beginning* to break in 'our' favour.