House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tcrabb

Property Not Know About At Land Registry

I have come across a few properties that do not come up on the website search with Land Registry. Sometimes they may have details of it and they offer a search of the index map (SIM) by post. I did that one one property and they still had no information on it.

So my question is when a freehold property is for sale and the Land Registry do not know about it, what 3rd party agency validates the ownership of the property by the seller (apart form the deeds themselves). Maybe the local council kept track of property ownership before land registry did this? Any ideas?

I have come across a few properties that do not come up on the website search with Land Registry. Sometimes they may have details of it and they offer a search of the index map (SIM) by post. I did that one one property and they still had no information on it.

So my question is when a freehold property is for sale and the Land Registry do not know about it, what 3rd party agency validates the ownership of the property by the seller (apart form the deeds themselves). Maybe the local council kept track of property ownership before land registry did this? Any ideas?

A series of conveyancing deeds going back a very long time. The land registry was set up a the property register 100 odd years ago, nothing to do with councils ever. Lots of property is still unregistered.

Fatmanfilms is of course right. If a property hasn't changed hands since the registry was set up it won't appear on the registry.

In different areas this date varies. I think Mid Beds was around 1976 ish as a cottage my mother bought had to go on the registry for the first time and this was a novelty.

Another time a house sale may not appear is when a house is reposessed and sold by the lender. This little sleight of hand is justified as 'preserving the market' or more honestly, 'rigging the market' in favour of sellers.

For example, you might look at sold prices in my street and see that next door changed hands in 2011 but my house seems to have last been sold in 2008. In reality it sold a week before my neighbour's in 2011 when I bought it off the bank.

A house I bought back in the 80's had a stack of documents, legally redundant but extremely interesting dating back 200 years. One was certified by a certain Lord Emsworth, stating that a freeman of the parish had built the house by his own hand and that his daughter was to inherit the freehold - an uncommon thing indeed in those days. What was most spooky for me was that I spent my early childhood in the village of Emsworth in Hampshire. The name of the lord was Earl Spencer so we shared a surname and 200 years after that signature I bought that house in Yorkshire.

From an IT point of view I know how easily electronic records are altered. Give me goatskin vellum sealed with a wax coat to prevent alteration and stamped with silver any day.

As mentioned above, sales that are made at a price that does not reflect the "true market value" of the property are excluded....... bent as a nine bob note and apparently soon to be privatised.

As mentioned above, sales that are made at a price that does not reflect the "true market value" of the property are excluded....... bent as a nine bob note and apparently soon to be privatised.

A flat I bought a couple of years ago doesn't show up on the Land registry, it's a reposession. It was new when last sold so the massive price drop doesn't show up on the records either as far as I know.

There's a flat near me on the market for around £40k which was last sold around the £70k mark, it's a reposession and when that sells it will not be included in the figures.

A BIG semi-detached house going to auction soon, will fetch around the £100k at a guess, about the £200k mark in the year2007ish, another does not reflect the true market value.