House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Knimbies who say No

Vistits By Activists

Dunno if anyone else is experiencing a similar thing, I've had a couple of visits in the last month from party activists (Labour) as evidenced by leaflets through the door stating they would be back in the area to speak to people in future. I saw them on my street as I was leaving one day, red rosettes and all.

But... there's no election on the horzion. All I can think of is that this is a super-organised local party in a seat which must be a certainty for the reds in the parliamentary poll in 2015 (Con. maj. ~2,500), doubtless one of the key targets for Labour. But two years early? I suppose the Euro elections are next May, but it's still pretty keen.

Any ideas?

Edited by cheeznbreed

Bump, another Labour leaflet highlighting the 'cost of living crisis' (no mention of house prices, natch. Also a rather incoherent column about greenbelt protection, saying Labour would build fewer houses than the Tory council is planning to in the next few years. Totally unrelated to the cost if living crisis of course, so that's alright then. Keep focussing on the cost of teabags instead of £200k+ basic shelter.

It's clearly a key target for Labour with an electorally vulnerable incumbant MP.

The south Thanet polling in the wake of the decision of the decision of incumbant Conservative MP Laura Sandys not to stand for reelection makes for an interesting question.

UKIP are polling higher than the Cons in this marginal seat, with Labour favourite to gain it.

Conservative central office have generally been pushing a (deeply flawed imo) line of "vote UKIP, get Labour"- as have some posters on here of course. In south Thanet it seems Con voters could put Labour in instead, following the logic, such as it is.

Cameron seems to keep making problems for himself.

The south Thanet polling in the wake of the decision of the decision of incumbant Conservative MP Laura Sandys not to stand for reelection makes for an interesting question.

UKIP are polling higher than the Cons in this marginal seat, with Labour favourite to gain it.

Conservative central office have generally been pushing a (deeply flawed imo) line of "vote UKIP, get Labour"- as have some posters on here of course. In south Thanet it seems Con voters could put Labour in instead, following the logic, such as it is.

Cameron seems to keep making problems for himself.

Is south Thanet the actual seat you live in, with all the activity?

Obviously, Labour are taking a leaf out of the Lib Dems' book - 'campaigning for you all year round.'.

Edited by 1929crash

Is south Thanet the actual seat you live in, with all the activity?

Obviously, Labour are taking a leaf out of the Lib Dems' book - 'campaigning for you all year round.'.

Ah no, I bumped the thread perhaps with something not quite relevant, sorry for the confusion. I live in City of Chester constituency, which happens to have a Conservative MP whose views (and majority) are similar to Sandys', albeit at the other end of the country.

The Labour PPC for my seat (Christian Matheson) isn't even in parliament and he's scooping taxpayer's money by renting a London property to a current Labour MP...

The battle in many of the marginals is going to be fascinating imo. I don;t think the Cons have a hope in hell of retaining many of them, it seemed like the South Thanet polling is evidence of the problems they face.

Ah no, I bumped the thread perhaps with something not quite relevant, sorry for the confusion. I live in City of Chester constituency, which happens to have a Conservative MP whose views (and majority) are similar to Sandys', albeit at the other end of the country.

The Labour PPC for my seat (Christian Matheson) isn't even in parliament and he's scooping taxpayer's money by renting a London property to a current Labour MP...

The battle in many of the marginals is going to be fascinating imo. I don;t think the Cons have a hope in hell of retaining many of them, it seemed like the South Thanet polling is evidence of the problems they face.

Many of the marginals are Con/Lib Dem, so the outcome there will be decided by local campaigning and by whose vote falls furthest.

I reckon Labour are pretty certain to win a seat like City of Chester, but they are not leaving anything to chance by going on this canvassing/leafleting offensive eighteen months out.

Many of the marginals are Con/Lib Dem, so the outcome there will be decided by local campaigning and by whose vote falls furthest.

I reckon Labour are pretty certain to win a seat like City of Chester, but they are not leaving anything to chance by going on this canvassing/leafleting offensive eighteen months out.

Yes, I should have been clear I was talking about Con/Lab marginals only.