House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

New 100 Mpg+ Micro Car Moving To Old Hummer Plant

Yeah, depressing. It's still 100 year old technology in a fancy wrapper. Heat engines are inefficient, end of.

What an ugly beast.

This company is out to lunch if they think there is a market outside of some silicon valley uber-nerds.

BMW C1 or similar failures...

Beauty / ugliness is a matter of opinion. These vehicles are aimed at hard times ahead designed to save money & fuel.

Future vehicles will have to be thinner & shorter if the increasing congestion problems are to be tackled.

Ideally, as with aeroplane design, form should follow function to produce the most efficient shape to satisfy the highest mpg vs ergonomic practicality vs cost. Not be at the whim of brainwashed consumer like many car designs of the past.

The tear drop shape is the most aero dynamically efficient. 3 or 4 wheel vehicles will look similar to this vehicle.

They can be slightly tweaked of course. Many such vehicles will start by replacing the second family car.

Similar designs

Most Designs Of Powered Reverse Trike

3D printed car is strong as steel, half the weight and nearing production

Yeah, depressing. It's still 100 year old technology in a fancy wrapper. Heat engines are inefficient, end of.

This is a budget machine.

I guess that any alternatives engines are too expensive compared to heat engines. Nothing to stop Ev's / hybrids being added at extra cost

Personally, I'm a fan of chopping & reusing existing cars parts to make them lighter & more aerodynamic, but DVLA / Insurers red tape & cost is a barrier.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Don't get me wrong here SFASS, I'm all for innovative solutions in our modern life.

But this 'car' or motorbike is suitable for one person, and maybe some messages.

Not much market for that. It a toy for rich nerds who live in good climates.

Besides, if I were going to buy a toy like that I'd go for the superior Toyota i-ROAD

Beauty / ugliness is a matter of opinion. These vehicles are aimed at hard times ahead designed to save money & fuel.

Future vehicles will have to be thinner & shorter if the increasing congestion problems are to be tackled.

Ideally, as with aeroplane design, form should follow function to produce the most efficient shape to satisfy the highest mpg vs ergonomic practicality vs cost. Not be at the whim of brainwashed consumer like many car designs of the past.

The tear drop shape is the most aero dynamically efficient. 3 or 4 wheel vehicles will look similar to this vehicle.

They can be slightly tweaked of course. Many such vehicles will start by replacing the second family car.

Similar designs

Most Designs Of Powered Reverse Trike

3D printed car is strong as steel, half the weight and nearing production

This is a budget machine.

I guess that any alternatives engines are too expensive compared to heat engines. Nothing to stop Ev's / hybrids being added at extra cost

Personally, I'm a fan of chopping & reusing existing cars parts to make them lighter & more aerodynamic, but DVLA / Insurers red tape & cost is a barrier.

http://ecomodder.com...difications.php

In fact there is a seriously long way to go as regards weight saving as regards cars. My Exige, and S1 is supposed to weigh about 800Kgs empty. That's about 1,760 lbs. A Vans RV4 2 seat airplane will have a maximum loaded weight of about 700kgs, 1,540 lbs. Empty weight would be in the order of 950 lbs.

Given that the Exige is a 2 seat car with about 180-190 bhp and the RV4 is a 2 seat airplane with up to 180 bhp I reckon that the Exige is seriously over weight. But by the standards of current mass market cars it is light.

In fact there is a seriously long way to go as regards weight saving as regards cars. My Exige, and S1 is supposed to weigh about 800Kgs empty. That's about 1,760 lbs. A Vans RV4 2 seat airplane will have a maximum loaded weight of about 700kgs, 1,540 lbs. Empty weight would be in the order of 950 lbs.

Given that the Exige is a 2 seat car with about 180-190 bhp and the RV4 is a 2 seat airplane with up to 180 bhp I reckon that the Exige is seriously over weight. But by the standards of current mass market cars it is light.

I don't know much about planes but i'd guess if that lightweight plane (minus the wings) was sitting on the road and a car drove into it at 40mph it would split into pieces and the person/s inside be run over.

I don't know much about planes but i'd guess if that lightweight plane (minus the wings) was sitting on the road and a car drove into it at 40mph it would split into pieces and the person/s inside be run over.

I would wonder. Chassis of the Exige is bonded aluminium, fuslage of the RV is riveted aluminium. Exige does have a carbon crash box ahead of the driver's feet but the RV has the engine ahead of the pilot.

I suppose that in fact the Caterham would be a fairer comparison. 500 to 550 Kgs kerb weight, pretty comparable to the RV. Like the RV it doesnt have to carry the heavy separate glassfibre bodywork :)

Yes, road cars are too heavy and too big. Heavy costs fuel when accelerating and big cost fuel when moving through the air. Heavy of course also costs in terms of tyres, brakes and suspension wear and tear.

Congestion problems will be addressed with computer control cars in the not too distant future. This can also lead to greatly increased fuel efficiency with the reduced need for braking and acceleration. This is the next big leap in reduced energy consumption imho.

I don't have a problem with its looks but isn't it the case that most short distance commuters who would use this thing would get there just as quick (or at least close enough) on an e-bike?

I have a 30 minute commute and it would probably be 45 mins on an e-bike.

I cant take the kids to school with either vehicle.