House Price Crash Forum
EmmaRoid

Wot? No Frances Coppola? The Housing Conundrum

I agree with her analysis, but disagree with her conclusions. I posted this:

Frances, I agree with your analysis, but disagree with your conclusions. A short sharp correction would indeed be devastating, but delaying the process adds new problems - lack of moral hazard for both the banks who over-lent and borrowers who over-borrowed (and this isn't a Calvanistic response - avoiding moral hazard has consequences); dragging in another soon-to-be-over-indebted-generation; high living costs preventing competitive trade with other nations - and so on.

If I must have a leg amputated, I'd prefer clean and quick rather than this rusty blunt saw approach.

It is an interesting article, but we could do with some numbers. What % write-down could the banks stand? And a reasonable calculation of how much building would be requried and what that might do to price.

Peter.

It is an interesting article, but we could do with some numbers. What % write-down could the banks stand? And a reasonable calculation of how much building would be requried and what that might do to price.

Peter.

+ 1