House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Two In Three Families Plan A Summer Staycation Boosting Uk Tourism To £12Billion

As a child, back in the 1960s, I now realise I was very fortunate. My father, who spoke many languages, enjoyed driving and was keen for us to holiday on 'the continent' and as a result we would drive to Spain, the south of France, Italy, etc. years before they were considered 'accessible' to most people.

We picniced by the French roadside, my sister and i spent hours squabbling in the back seat (incredibly, somewhat bored at times). We would stay in les Routiers hotels, often little more than rural farmhouses.

When I returned to school, my friends would tell me about their holidays in Cornwall, and often I was jealous of them! I think mainly because where they went, everyone spoke English, so they had more freedom to get away from their parents. I was convinced their holidays were like Famous Five adventures.

It wasn't until my twenties that I really started to travel much around the UK. I kenw less about the west of England than I did about the south of France.

There are some really wonderful places in the UK to visit. It is all too often let down by an abysmal tourist industry, particularly by awful pubs, restaurants, and similar facilities.

I hope we don't become like the USA. Many Americans are convinced that the USA is the greatest country on earth, everything they need is there, there is no point in experiencing the greater world, and that to take a vacation outside the USA is so unpatriotic it is borderline terrorism.

The Americans you meet in Europe are not typical Americans; they are Americans with enough curiousity to venture outside the USA.

I refuse to spend my holiday cash in the UK as a protest to the way the economy is so skewed towards rewarding the feckless and the corrupt banking and political elite, the mere thought that my money could help in supporting the over pricing landlord/hotelier class of this island makes me sick and I refuse to do so. Not to mention that the cost of holidaying in the UK is prohibitive for any pursuit of quality.

Guest eight

I refuse to spend my holiday cash in the UK as a protest to the way the economy is so skewed towards rewarding the feckless and the corrupt banking and political elite, the mere thought that my money could help in supporting the over pricing landlord/hotelier class of this island makes me sick and I refuse to do so. Not to mention that the cost of holidaying in the UK is prohibitive for any pursuit of quality.

That's the spirit!

Live by the sea and every weekend is a free holiday*

*unless we have more of this cold weather, then you may as well live in an inner-city studio flat.

I hope we don't become like the USA. Many Americans are convinced that the USA is the greatest country on earth, everything they need is there, there is no point in experiencing the greater world, and that to take a vacation outside the USA is so unpatriotic it is borderline terrorism.

The Americans you meet in Europe are not typical Americans; they are Americans with enough curiousity to venture outside the USA.

To be strictly fair, it's a huge country with an awful lot of variety. But I think a lot of Americans are actually afraid of 'abroad' - all these weird foreign places with weird people and funny food - you're just not safe.

My sister lives in a relatively affluent part of Massachussetts (Cambridge) and her friends are mostly highly educated people. But even so they've been horrified when she proposed taking her young daughter on holiday to the likes of Kenya. 'You can't! It's not safe!' This despite my sister telling them it was exactly the same trip our nephew and his wife had recently taken and masses of people take every year.

There have been similar reactions with different destinations - she even joked once - (or half joked) - that Social Services would be on to her for putting her daughter at risk by taking her to all these weird, dangerous non-American places.

Ha. The only thing better about holidaying within the UK is that you miss the worst bit of going abroad - the interrogation when arriving back at the British border.

Seriously, you land in Paris, a smile, "Welcome to France." Land at London, get all sorts of questions about how long you plan on staying until you wind up wanting to hit them over the head with the letter from Lizzie inside the front cover.

The number of Britons holidaying in the UK rose from 35 per cent to 41 per cent between 2011 and 2012, and this year is expected to jump to 65 per cent

and likely for quite a lot "holidaying in the UK" means a "holiday" at home.

Better to spend it somewhere less corrupt like Greece or Spain.

But seriously, forget hotels, get a tent and have the family out camping at one of the many great camping sites in the UK.

Edited by cashinmattress

Better to spend it somewhere less corrupt like Greece or Spain.

But seriously, forget hotels, get a tent and have the family out camping at one of the many great camping sites in the UK.

I am under no illusion of the corruption in Greece or Spain, I have never really been a fan of holidaying in those places either, I would prefer the USA or the east, at least my money goes further, the customer service is excellent and the weather is usually fine, I'm well aware that my other destination choices are also not perfect, but In my own way I am protesting by not supporting my own government in its corruption by making the choice not to support the UK with my holiday cash. I grant you its a small battle in a war I can't win, but for me its a moral issue.

Camping is all well and good, but you will still be paying into the landowner/landlord class coffers in the UK...sorry but I wont support it in any way I am able to avoid do so.

To be strictly fair, it's a huge country with an awful lot of variety. But I think a lot of Americans are actually afraid of 'abroad' - all these weird foreign places with weird people and funny food - you're just not safe.

My sister lives in a relatively affluent part of Massachussetts (Cambridge) and her friends are mostly highly educated people. But even so they've been horrified when she proposed taking her young daughter on holiday to the likes of Kenya. 'You can't! It's not safe!' This despite my sister telling them it was exactly the same trip our nephew and his wife had recently taken and masses of people take every year.

There have been similar reactions with different destinations - she even joked once - (or half joked) - that Social Services would be on to her for putting her daughter at risk by taking her to all these weird, dangerous non-American places.

Yes, my American friends* tell me something similar.

It reminds me of this great scene from that superb film, The Truman Show, where Truman visits a 'Travel Agent'.

tumblr_mejvmp9KhK1r01jqco1_500.jpg

I think a lot of people regard the film as an allegory of what the US (or US, EU...) could become. i think it is more of a case of what our countries have become, particularly since the start of Bushes' 'War on Tourism' - perhaps Bush really did mean tourism...

*Yes, I do have friends, believe it or not. Even American ones.

I would say that the best place to holiday is to venture out to the places holiday makers do not tend to go.....be it at home or away. ;)

I haven't holidayed in 7 years. This year I will be taking a day trip in the UK, I have a voucher for the trains you see, I can do a day trip on less than £10 per person, food and travel included. This will most likely rise to £20pp as alcohol and tobacco will be required. Entertainment will consist of walking, talking and playing cards.

Holiday for me and my boys this year is two days camping at Lydden Hill Truck Festival, £35 for entry fee and camping and £10 in petrol to get there. Maybe a fiver for some charcoal for the barbecue. Not that I'm tight or anything. :P