House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Would You Buy A Refurbed Phone?

A colleague at work has been looking at upgrading her phone and I've had a quick look at some of the phones for sale and there are what appears some decent deals on refurbs.

Anyone on here bought a refurb in the past?

Are these faulty phones that have been "fixed" or phones that people have opened and then decided they didn't like?

A colleague at work has been looking at upgrading her phone and I've had a quick look at some of the phones for sale and there are what appears some decent deals on refurbs.

Anyone on here bought a refurb in the past?

Are these faulty phones that have been "fixed" or phones that people have opened and then decided they didn't like?

Never bought a refurb' phone but it wouldn't bother me as I've bought loads of refurb Apple products for example.

I think a lot of them come from people's obsession with upgrading after 9-12 months for the latest model.

A 12 month warranty means there is little to worry about.

I'd certainly buy one. I don't get on with touch screens so refurbs / old stock are where I'm going when my current phone gets dropped one time too many.

I believe that the answer is, in many cases, b.

I've bought a fair few 'refurbed' electrical and photographic items in the past and they've been, to all intents and purposes, new. Fuji for e.g. sell their returns direct. There's a merchant on ebay that knocks out a steady line of Canon stuff - cameras/ printers/ scanners that have proven top notch whenever I've bought from it.

I'd have no problem. Provided the merchant looks OK

edit: eg. (Fufi XF1 on Amazon = £269, 'Refurbed' Fuji XF1 on Fuji = £219) = no brainer

My daughter bought a refurbed phone (the phone she had just got on her new contract got 'water damaged' (another f*cking con where they put a strip inside to show whether it got wet or ot rather than making them water tight!). She couldn't face buying new so went for a refurb. It was a new model, as good as new and excellent value. Bought face to face though at the market. They said they get lots of people signing up for contracts, being sent the phone and then trading them in straight away...like a strange form of credit.

I signed up for two years to get an improved contract for the same price (£10) and got given a £130 smartphone. I tried it for a day and put it in a drawer and went back to the old one. It's my emergency back-up if mine suddenly dies before I get a refurb. If I was short of cash I'd have sold it as you say; there's nothing wrong with it and I've used it for one evening only.

Guest eight

I used to work for an electrical goods manufacturer. Basically the retailers don't investigate the cause of a return, the product could be faulty or it could just be that the customer didn't like it. It was especially noticeable with catalogue sales where people would order two, try them both and then send one back. We had a dedicated refurb department dealing with these and they were disposed of at a hefty discount, mostly through staff sales. With white goods there was the option of choosing the one you wanted off the production line, whereby a nice man would take a hammer to the most visible panel, withdraw it and send it to refurb, where you then went to collect it with all damaged parts replaced!

Surprisingly, production has since moved abroad....

I believe that the answer is, in many cases, b.

I've bought a fair few 'refurbed' electrical and photographic items in the past and they've been, to all intents and purposes, new. Fuji for e.g. sell their returns direct. There's a merchant on ebay that knocks out a steady line of Canon stuff - cameras/ printers/ scanners that have proven top notch whenever I've bought from it.

I'd have no problem. Provided the merchant looks OK

edit: eg. (Fufi XF1 on Amazon = £269, 'Refurbed' Fuji XF1 on Fuji = £219) = no brainer

I had one off Vodafone once, they said it had been returned after a week of so and was as good as new. Problem was it stank of perfume.

I had one off Vodafone once, they said it had been returned after a week of so and was as good as new. Problem was it stank of perfume.

I had a refurb nokia N95 from vodafone as an upgrade years ago. Was free compared to paying for a 'new' one. It was fine.

Current phone I bought second hand last year for £75 off someone on the internet. Still going strong. Wife just bricked her phone by soaking it. So will probably need to look for something for her now. Bloody women.

I used to work for an electrical goods manufacturer. Basically the retailers don't investigate the cause of a return, the product could be faulty or it could just be that the customer didn't like it. It was especially noticeable with catalogue sales where people would order two, try them both and then send one back. We had a dedicated refurb department dealing with these and they were disposed of at a hefty discount, mostly through staff sales. With white goods there was the option of choosing the one you wanted off the production line, whereby a nice man would take a hammer to the most visible panel, withdraw it and send it to refurb, where you then went to collect it with all damaged parts replaced!

Where they do exactly the same thing, only on a larger scale.

:rolleyes: Bruce I'd of had you down as a brut Man. :P

I guess so... but how long has it been in that chaps sweaty pocket? Does he wash his hands between having a shite and fondling his phone? How about between fondling his bits and his phone? The whole hygiene thing of phones bothers me to a degree - specially the ones with buttons...

Lol.

In fact you better get someone else to wash your anus and your knob. etc

The chance would be a Fine Thing.

What is wrong with a refurbed phone? My current one I got for nothing, from a coleague, after I dropped the old one down the urinal! :blink:

:lol:

extra soapy please.

EDIT: Okay, bend over....

2012-10-18-SoapySponge.jpeg

A friend, who was a nurse, once told me that the worst thing nurses have to do is "tramp washing".

A GP friend says that as long as "bits" have been washed before a surgery visit then all is well in the world.

What is wrong with a refurbed phone? My current one I got for nothing, from a coleague, after I dropped the old one down the urinal! :blink:

Send the old one back to be refurbed?