House Price Crash Forum

First Ea Goes Pop In Maidenhead... Ooh Err.....

HOLA441

I've been expecting this for quite a wee while. Palmer & Price a small local firm ( 3 branches, est 2/3 years ) has closed it's doors due to lack of business, reported in the local rag on Saturday. The town like many has far too many EA's, and so it may just be natural competition which has brought about their demise. However, rather ominously - the partner at one of the biggest and longest established EA's in town was quoted as saying " that he was surprised that only one has gone to the wall, and that he expects several more to follow, in these challenging times ". I think we know where he's coming from :D

Any other reports out there of small local independants starting to go pop ? As I recall from the last crash this was yet another feature on the way down !

HOLA442

I've been expecting this for quite a wee while. Palmer & Price a small local firm ( 3 branches, est 2/3 years ) has closed it's doors due to lack of business, reported in the local rag on Saturday. The town like many has far too many EA's, and so it may just be natural competition which has brought about their demise. However, rather ominously - the partner at one of the biggest and longest established EA's in town was quoted as saying " that he was surprised that only one has gone to the wall, and that he expects several more to follow, in these challenging times ". I think we know where he's coming from :D

Any other reports out there of small local independants starting to go pop ? As I recall from the last crash this was yet another feature on the way down !

ive got my eye on a small local EA, He started up about 10 years ago with a very small office and drove an old ford seira, but about 2 years ago moved to a much bigger office, took on staff, bought a flashy bmw etc, obviously spending all that commission money from the good times, as he started 10 years ago im guessing that he hasnt seem any bad times....yet.. :ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I was in Maidenhead today, there are 8 estate agents on one bit of road about 50m long. At the intersection of that road and the high street there is another estate agent two shops down. 9 estate agents in a pretty smallish town is, well incredible- and thats assuming there arn't any more on other streets. There are also a few of them in Henley, Cookham, Marlow etc its not like they are serving a big catchment area.

HOLA446