House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Oklahoma Tornado

Looks terrifying. Yet people know all this and choose to live there, even though the US is enormous. Still, could be worse. You could be living on a major tectonic fault line.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328071/WATCH-Oklahoma-Tornado-Video--Horrific-footage-shows-devastating-tornado-tears-Oklahoma.html

Wail has some vids of the tornado in action. I'm sure the news this morning reported it was 2 miles wide.

Yep 2 miles wide, 200mph wind speed (although obviously the ground speed is much slower than that and much more devastating). Apparently they had 15-20 minutes notice to get the hell out of dodge.

I was driving up from New Orleans to Nashville last January trying to keep ahead of a weather system. First tornado warning I have ever been through at 2am in Nashville (wife was fast asleep, I was frantically watching circulation patterns on the weather channel and looking out the window at rain falling in all directions. In the end it had pretty much tired itself out by that point but Birmingham Alabama was not so lucky.

Looks terrifying. Yet people know all this and choose to live there, even though the US is enormous. Still, could be worse. You could be living on a major tectonic fault line.

Or you could be living somewhere that exposes you to road traffic whenever you go anywhere. Far worse.

I seems they have never heard of reinforced concrete to build houses... :rolleyes:

I mean building cardboard houses in a tornado area is just plain irresponsible.

I seems they have never heard of reinforced concrete to build houses... :rolleyes:

I mean building cardboard houses in a tornado area is just plain irresponsible.

Pressures, or more succinctly, overpressures;

A 0.01 bar difference will break glass.

A 0.1 bar difference will cause significant structural failure, ie collapse a wall.

Big tornadoes can cause a short 100 mBar drop from inside a house or structure to outside, which is 0.1 bar. Standard atmosphere is 1 bar.

That is the equivalent of approximately 2 tonnes of mass being pressed against a 20' x 10' wall for up to a few seconds.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/

Not many structures survive a large tornado, and concreting does nowt for human health if you have standard windows and doors.

Yes they could make houses like tanks, but nobody could afford them.

Pressures, or more succinctly, overpressures;

A 0.01 bar difference will break glass.

A 0.1 bar difference will cause significant structural failure, ie collapse a wall.

Big tornadoes can cause a short 100 mBar drop from inside a house or structure to outside, which is 0.1 bar. Standard atmosphere is 1 bar.

That is the equivalent of approximately 2 tonnes of mass being pressed against a 20' x 10' wall for up to a few seconds.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/

Not many structures survive a large tornado, and concreting does nowt for human health if you have standard windows and doors.

Yes they could make houses like tanks, but nobody could afford them.

TANKS!

you've hit on the answer - the US must have had 100,000s of obsolete tanks over the years. Every house owner in tornado valley to dig an old tank in their garden. It won't save their rickety wooden house, but when the tornado passes over, the family squeeze into the tank and shut the turret door until it's over. :)

TANKS!

you've hit on the answer - the US must have had 100,000s of obsolete tanks over the years. Every house owner in tornado valley to dig an old tank in their garden. It won't save their rickety wooden house, but when the tornado passes over, the family squeeze into the tank and shut the turret door until it's over. :)

Sounds good in theory.

I'm not an expert but I would expect reinforce concrete to cope with that easily.

The Japanese construct their buildings to withstand earthquakes, if you live somewhere known as "tornado alley" maybe you should not build your houses out of timber and plasterboard.