House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Woman Moaning That Her Car Won't Fit In The Garage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327440/Couples-fury-garage-new-200-000-home-narrow-cars-open-doors-parked-inside.html

A house is meant to be an investment - of course it is love...

A couple have been left fuming after spending £200,000 on a brand new home - only to find their cars won't fit into the garage. Claire Walker, 37, was stunned to discover the garage at the detached three-bedroom property in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was too narrow to accommodate her Volvo S40. Her partner Andy Birkhead, 33, managed to squeeze his Fiesta ST all the way in, but was left stuck in his car because there wasn't enough space to open his door.

The couple, who have a two-year-old son, Billy, only discovered the problem when they cleared out belongings they had been storing in the garage since moving into their new £209,950 home in March. When they complained to developer Persimmon, they were told they should have measured the garage before buying their new house, said Ms Walker.

The furious health and safety manager has been told that the bungle could knock up to £8,000 off the value of their home. She said: 'It's not fit for purpose. The garage doesn't do what a garage should do. I'm absolutely fuming about it.'

She explained: 'We didn't realise for a few months because the garage was stored with our belongings that we hadn't sorted after the move. I tried to get my car in recently but the wing mirrors make it too wide.

'It's a company car so I didn't want to scratch it, so Andy tried to get his car in.

'He could get it inside, but he couldn't open the doors. So unless you have a sunroof it doesn't look like there's any way you can get a car into the garage and step out of it.'

Ms Walker said the neighbours she has spoken to hadn't realised the problem, because none of them had been using their garages to store their cars. She explained that the specification for the house in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, gave dimensions for all rooms in the house - except the garage. She said: 'I've asked a number of estate agents about the problem, and at least two have told me that I can't advertise my house as having a garage if I know it doesn't function as a garage.

'They said they add 8,000 pounds on to the value of a house if it has a garage - so we've lost that off the 209,950 pounds we paid for the house.

'A house is meant to be an investment - and this one feels like a poor investment. 'I wrote to the chief operating officer of Persimmon but he replied saying he had referred the matter to the technical director in the regional team.

'And that technical director suggested that I should have measured the garage before we put down a deposit. It's abysmal.

'When you buy a three-bedroom detached family home with a garage you expect the garage to be big enough to get a car into.'

Ms Walker has since got out her measuring tape and researched the size of popular family cars on the internet. She found that the garage door width of 2m 3cm was too small for eight of the 14 cars she compared.

'Persimmon deemed the size to be appropriate but it's clearly not,' she said.

Including wing mirror width the cars that wouldn't fit included some of the most popular models, from a Ford Focus to a Honda Civic.

The garage is big enough to accommodate the Fiesta, the Vauxhall Astra, the Audi A3, the BMW 1 Series, the Mercedes C Class and the VW Jetta. But while the cars would go in, the 2m 44cm wall-to-wall width means none would have sufficient space to open the driver door. For now the 'garage' is used to store a dryer, two filing cabinets, a lawnmower and a strimmer. The mother-of-one said: 'Because the garage is built into the house we realise that they can't just knock it down and start again.

'We asked Persimmon if they would plaster the third wall - two are already done - and put some lino on the floor, so we could use it as a storage room with at least more insulation than it has now to keep out the damp, but they refused.'

The couple's drive only has room for one car so they've asked for it to be widened to fit two cars, but they have heard nothing back since.

'We're not asking for anything drastic. It's not like we're asking them to knock down the house and start again,' Ms Walker said. Wayne Gradwell, managing director at Persimmon Homes, said: 'As one of the UK's leading housebuilders it can only be a matter of deep regret to us if any customer is dissatisfied with their new home.

'The garage in question is comparable with new build properties across the UK. We continue to work with Miss Walker and Mr Birkhead to try and resolve the situation.'

A spokesperson for Persimmon added: 'The dimensions of each garage are governed by both the size of the house and the relevant planning regulations and are clearly laid out in the marketing brochure. We deeply regret that Miss Walker and Mr Birkhead are unhappy with the size of their garage.'

Absolute Gold innit. Read that on way home..

Funny how it took months to realise, and only did so when tried to put car in garage.

Surely even a complete muppet would sort of notice size of their car in driveway - size of garage opening...hmmm that would be a pretty tight fit.. without having to wait several months to test the theory..

Seems a claim for some compo from the developer case....

"'They said they add 8,000 pounds on to the value of a house if it has a garage - so we've lost that off the 209,950 pounds we paid for the house."

And the rest love......

Do developers still only have to design garages that fit around a 1973 Fiat 127 supermini? The parking space outside my flat is very narrow. I'm no fatty but I struggle to get out of my Nissan Almera.

Developers don't seem to realise how enormous cars have become over the last 40 years. Mainy due to the safety regulations. My Head of Department has a Peugeot 207 that is supposed to be a supermini (B segment car) but the proportions look enormous - about the same as my C segment Almera (Focus/Astra sized).

Quite clearly, the car will fit in the garage. There are several photographs showing the car more or less in the garage - I can't imagine a new Volvo with that spec doesn't have retractable wing mirrors. The fact that she's too fat to get out of it is her problem.

Should have eased off on the lamb bhunas, love.

Do developers still only have to design garages that fit around a 1973 Fiat 127 supermini? The parking space outside my flat is very narrow. I'm no fatty but I struggle to get out of my Nissan Almera.

Developers don't seem to realise how enormous cars have become over the last 40 years. Mainy due to the safety regulations. My Head of Department has a Peugeot 207 that is supposed to be a supermini (B segment car) but the proportions look enormous - about the same as my C segment Almera (Focus/Astra sized).

cars havent really got that much wider though, after all they still need to fit on the road.

a ford focus is about 1.9m wide

a humvee H3 is 1.9m wide,

bmw 3 series is 2m

a Range rover is about 2m

old ford fiesta 1.8m.

they just look chunkier.

'We asked Persimmon if they would plaster the third wall - two are already done - and put some lino on the floor, so we could use it as a storage room with at least more insulation than it has now to keep out the damp, but they refused.'

Sounds like the money they lost by not having a garage they were trying to recoup with an additional bedroom......;)

'Persimmon deemed the size to be appropriate but it's clearly not,' she said.

If I'm reading the local paper's version correctly, she works at rival Bellway?

Claire, whose Volvo is a company car, said she feared the re-sale value of the house would be hit in the future.

Claire, who regularly visits new housing sites as part of her job, has alerted her bosses at Bellway to the potential problem.

On page 2.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2013/05/18/gallery-couple-left-fuming-after-finding-garage-at-new-200-000-scissett-home-is-too-small-for-family-cars-86081-33347169/

It is not a case of not knowing car sizes, just liek the size of other rooms, garden size, driveway size they pack in as many as they ca get away with, they love regulation, as much as they bleat about building densities they are only too happy to peddle whatever shit they can get away with in what is laughably called a "detached" modern hosue nowadays.

£209K for that house - in Huddersfield? They were HAD.

You can call it detached if you like, but this is high density housing - effectively packing the houses in just as closely as a row of terraces. The house is tiny!

Ford Anglia 105E - Length 3,912 mm (154 in) - Width 1,422 mm (56 in)

Ford Focus mk3 - Length 4,534 mm (178.5 in) (sedan) - Width 1,823 mm (71.8 in)

Ford Anglia! My dad had one which my elder brother inherited. Caribbean blue IIRC. The grille always made it look like it was sulking.

laugh.gif

It is wrong to describe something that cannot accomodate a Fiesta as a garage (simply being able to fit the car in is not sufficient, it must be possible for the driver to enter/exit).

More people have to take developers to task over stuff like this.

Edited by cheeznbreed

so all the two car households will mean cars on the roads, junctions,and on traffic humps in the development?

Edited by Ash4781

I understand that they are dumb, and it may be dodgy reporting on behalf of the DM, but they do have a point, a garage should fit a car.

I noticed a development near me where the garage did not look big enough to fit a car, and it was pretty obvious, but still, I have some sympathy for these guys (although not clicked on link as I'm on the train which incidentally won't fit in to my non existent garage).

It's just another example of why planning laws need to be relaxed to allow self build. My parents currently live in a house that was self built (not by them) and the proportions of all rooms, and the garage are very generous.

The solution to this "housing crisis" is so blindingly obvious, but sadly I don't hold out much hope that it will be implemented any time soon.

I understand that they are dumb, and it may be dodgy reporting on behalf of the DM, but they do have a point, a garage should fit a car.

I noticed a development near me where the garage did not look big enough to fit a car, and it was pretty obvious, but still, I have some sympathy for these guys (although not clicked on link as I'm on the train which incidentally won't fit in to my non existent garage).

It's just another example of why planning laws need to be relaxed to allow self build. My parents currently live in a house that was self built (not by them) and the proportions of all rooms, and the garage are very generous.

The solution to this "housing crisis" is so blindingly obvious, but sadly I don't hold out much hope that it will be implemented any time soon.

Isn't there an average quota of about 30 houses an acre (for new builds)? You go an average new estate, and you have a side gate of one house, which is immediately attached to the wall of the next house...with each plot separated by some cheap B&Q fencing..horribly claustrophobic, where there is no privacy...spending over £200k on these? sod that...

Edited by Dave Beans

Ford Anglia 105E - Length 3,912 mm (154 in) - Width 1,422 mm (56 in)

Ford Focus mk3 - Length 4,534 mm (178.5 in) (sedan) - Width 1,823 mm (71.8 in)

MG Midget - Length 3,480 mm (137 in ) Width 1,372 mm (54 in)

We checked our car fit in the garage before we bought our house (actually, checked it fit in half the garage, since it's a double). Seemed like a sensible thing to do.

I have recently got planning permission for a self build home, but I had months of arguments with the planners about the garage. I wanted to build a garage large enough to get in and out of a large car. The planners were adamant that I should only build a garage with "traditional proportions". I told them that a regular size garage built by most developers and accepted as the norm by planners is not fit for purpose this day in age where cars have got ever wider and longer to accommodate larger crumble zones, and side impact protection. They eventually relented, but it shows that it is not just the fault of greedy developers.

We checked our car fit in the garage before we bought our house (actually, checked it fit in half the garage, since it's a double). Seemed like a sensible thing to do.

Same here. Just re-measured mine. 12ft 10in wide (door is 10ft 5in wide) and 23 ft long (though the rear 8ft is only 10ft wide.