House Price Crash Forum

Recovery In The Real Economy

HOLA441

Take with the usual caveats, but here's a straw in the wind. It's a good sign, in that companies whose profits are recovering are in a position to invest in growth, employment, competitiveness, and all.

Actual dividend payouts from a FTSE 100 tracker (hmm, will this board let me use HTML <pre> to tabulate the data? D***, it won't).

May 2007	17.96May 2008	19.47May 2009	19.12May 2010	17.32May 2011	15.27May 2012	19.60May 2013	21.71
Edited by porca misèria

HOLA442

Take with the usual caveats, but here's a straw in the wind. It's a good sign, in that companies whose profits are recovering are in a position to invest in growth, employment, competitiveness, and all.

Actual dividend payouts from a FTSE 100 tracker (hmm, will this board let me use HTML <pre> to tabulate the data? D***, it won't).

May 2007	17.96May 2008	19.47May 2009	19.12May 2010	17.32May 2011	15.27May 2012	19.60May 2013	21.71

Many companies have quite a bit of cash on their balance sheets, and have been accumulating it for a few years, waiting for opportunities to invest. Seems that some are deciding that they are better giving it to shareholders rather than doing anything else.

HOLA443

Are FTSE 100 companies the "real economy"?

Multinational corporations are seeing vast increases in wealth through this recession.

What I'd call the real economy - wages for people, small businesses etc - isn't recovering at all as far as I can see. Wage growth has been below inflation for years.

HOLA444

Are FTSE 100 companies the "real economy"?

Multinational corporations are seeing vast increases in wealth through this recession.

What I'd call the real economy - wages for people, small businesses etc - isn't recovering at all as far as I can see. Wage growth has been below inflation for years.

Indeed. Real economy is what it is costing us for petrol, the weekly shop and kids cloths, etc...

Not some pie in the sky valuation and subsequent dividend which is the product of government intervention of the stock market.

HOLA445

The party will soon be over ..., because Britain called upon its overseas territories to "get their house in order.

UK looks to lead a global fight against tax evasion ahead of a meeting of the world's wealthiest states. Prime Minister David Cameron wrote to leaders of Britain's offshore territories and other self-governing regions, to push for a global clampdown on complex arrangements used to disguise wealth and minimize tax payments.

The territories receiving the letter were Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Anguilla, Montserrat, the Turks and Caicos Islands, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

Better do what we tell you to do...... or...... did you see what happened to Cyprus.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Many companies have quite a bit of cash on their balance sheets, and have been accumulating it for a few years, waiting for opportunities to invest. Seems that some are deciding that they are better giving it to shareholders rather than doing anything else.

Because they can't think of anything better to do with it?