House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Property As A Story, Running Out Of News?

Anyone else notice this? Yesterday was a real struggle to find any unique news stories regarding property. I`ve also noticed a slimming down of the property sections of the Sunday`s and weeklys over the past month or so. Yesterday newsnow gave approx. 4 links to property (UK) features. So many articles are simply rehashed versions of others e.g. the Alliance and Leicester one was given the treatment by several sources, still fanning the embers today.

Even this place is not as vibrant as usual, as for the Singing Pig it`s dying IMHO. I remember during the last HPcorrection/recession the subject of property seemed to simply disappear, I see it happening again. I wonder if it`s a domino affect brought on by major advertisers? They have the market intelligence to know that the game is up-no spend-no good news-no articles..any thoughts?

Guest Winners and Losers

It's called the quiet before the storm.

Anyone else notice this? Yesterday was a real struggle to find any unique news stories regarding property. I`ve also noticed a slimming down of the property sections of the Sunday`s and weeklys over the past month or so. Yesterday newsnow gave approx. 4 links to property (UK) features. So many articles are simply rehashed versions of others e.g. the Alliance and Leicester one was given the treatment by several sources, still fanning the embers today.

Even this place is not as vibrant as usual, as for the Singing Pig it`s dying IMHO. I remember during the last HPcorrection/recession the subject of property seemed to simply disappear, I see it happening again. I wonder if it`s a domino affect brought on by major advertisers? They have the market intelligence to know that the game is up-no spend-no good news-no articles..any thoughts?

There's been a steady stream of articles about falling house prices in the U.S. press recently. During the past week or so, for example, there was a major article in the Washington Post, which mentioned how one couple lost $100,000 on a property before they had even moved in. I also read an article last week (NYTimes?) that described how California is losing a significant percentage of its population due to high property prices (a harbinger of things to come in Britain?). There have been other articles as well about how prices are dipping in Florida, San Diego, and elsewhere.

I don't post these articles here anymore because I noticed they were getting few hits. I think most people on this site just want to hear about Britain.

It's called the quiet before the storm.

I agree, and I think the storm will happen spring 2006.

I could be wrong but I think that Spring next year will be the crunch point, the moment when everyone will expect to see the market recover - the much awaited spring bounce - and when people will expect to see SIPPS providing new impetus to the housing market.

During that period I think the VIs will be spinning like mad and HPC will be the only dissenting voice.

In the view of the VI the housing market has to take off in the Spring because if it doesn't people will know there is something very wrong.

Too many HPCers are getting restless, thinking of buying, thinking of giving up on the awaited crash.

A little patience and next year will get much more interesting.

If you think how high HPI was in 2004, realistically 2005 was only ever going to be about HPI slowing down.

That means the real falls that people are waiting for will have to happen in 2006 (I recognise that in some parts of the country prices are already falling but this ripple has not fanned out across the whole country yet).

I agree, and I think the storm will happen spring 2006.

I could be wrong but I think that Spring next year will be the crunch point, the moment when everyone will expect to see the market recover - the much awaited spring bounce - and when people will expect to see SIPPS providing new impetus to the housing market.

During that period I think the VIs will be spinning like mad and HPC will be the only dissenting voice.

In the view of the VI the housing market has to take off in the Spring because if it doesn't people will know there is something very wrong.

Too many HPCers are getting restless, thinking of buying, thinking of giving up on the awaited crash.

A little patience and next year will get much more interesting.

If you think how high HPI was in 2004, realistically 2005 was only ever going to be about HPI slowing down.

That means the real falls that people are waiting for will have to happen in 2006 (I recognise that in some parts of the country prices are already falling but this ripple has not fanned out across the whole country yet).

I think you're right about next spring. When I was in England looking at property last month, lots of people told me that they expected prices to rise in the spring because of SIPPS. Sellers included. It was no use trying to explain things to them.

Like a lot of other people here, I'm getting tired of waiting to buy, but I refuse to throw my money away. (If I had purchased in the fall of 2004, as I originally planned, I would have already lost a bundle.) I've decided not to make any moves until next fall, at the earliest. What have I got to lose? Even in the best bull scenario, prices will stagnate or rise a few percentage points. I can cover that rise (if it happens, which I doubt) with the interest my money is earning. And the pound keeps falling (a good thing for me). Meanwhile, I rent when I come over for extended stays. Interestingly, many of the rental houses in my chosen village are now up for sale!

Yeah I would agree.

Is it me or have there been an increase in the volume of advertising for overseas property?