House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Another Really Good Wail Article

Well, it's more of an advert for Nick Ross's new book, but it's worth a read all the same:

http://www.dailymail...ause-crime.html

I particularly liked this quote which reminded me of why the 1980s Tories were so popular vs. the modern incarnation:

As the pitilessly direct Conservative sage Lord Tebbit put it: 'When I look at what we denounce as the appalling conduct of "ordinary people" I see the way the rich have always behaved.

Very good article. Some of the commenters want to draft Nick Ross as Home Secretary.

It's odd, since he's clearly not any kind of hang 'em and flog 'em type. I guess the average Wail reader isn't such a dumb-ar5e as you might expect.

Property crime began to tumble around 1995 and violent crime subsided five years later. Hospital attendance for wounding fell every year from 2001 onwards.

Homicide seemed to have peaked in 2002. The speed of crime’s decline had come to mirror the ferocity of its ascent.

It's alluded to (see quote from article above), but I'm wondering if the drop off in crime might also have something to do with the ageing of the population. I remember reading some research in New Scientist a few years back that suggested a similar thing, albeit specifically with regard to terrorism and unrest being found in populations having a large share of young men.

It's alluded to (see quote from article above), but I'm wondering if the drop off in crime might also have something to do with the ageing of the population. I remember reading some research in New Scientist a few years back that suggested a similar thing, albeit specifically with regard to terrorism and unrest being found in populations having a large share of young men.

I think that the fall in crime is also partly due to the rise of the digital age. People are so busy on their phones and tablets these days. Hardly any graffiti around now too.

I think that the fall in crime is also partly due to the rise of the digital age. People are so busy on their phones and tablets these days. Hardly any graffiti around now too.

Also much harder to do something unnoticed when you can assume everyone is carrying a high definition video recorder.

Easily the most rational thing I've ever seen on the Wail site. Very interesting read (caused me a good bit of cognitive dissonance too, always a good thing IMO! ). Thanks for the link.

Easily the most rational thing I've ever seen on the Wail site. Very interesting read (caused me a good bit of cognitive dissonance too, always a good thing IMO! ). Thanks for the link.

Bit of a backhanded compliment there!

But yes, it is very good. The bit about theft of cars is very true also. Now we have car key burglaries - people break into your house solely to get hold of your car keys. Sometimes they fish them out through the letterbox. Never leave your car keys close to the front door!

For a while back in 2005ish, there was a spike in cars being broken into for their SatNavs. Once the price of SatNavs came down, the thefts virtually stopped.

Bit of a backhanded compliment there!

Hardly backhanded, it's the DM website! Surely nobody could argue that taken as a whole it contributes to the advancement of human knowledge and progress? :lol:

But yes, it is very good. The bit about theft of cars is very true also. Now we have car key burglaries - people break into your house solely to get hold of your car keys. Sometimes they fish them out through the letterbox. Never leave your car keys close to the front door!

For a while back in 2005ish, there was a spike in cars being broken into for their SatNavs. Once the price of SatNavs came down, the thefts virtually stopped.

Exactly- the cognitive dissonance was beause it jarred with my idealistic view that most people are basically decent and only commit acquisitive crimes as a result of desperation. If my opinion of human nature takes a beating, but I know better how to protect myself, I'd say I'm slightly sadder but overall better off.

About six weeks ago, I went on a tobacco and booze cruise to France and Belgium. Went to Belgium first and got me baccy, left it in the boot of my immobilised and deadlocked 2005 estate car- with the luggage cover pulled over- while we went round the hypermarket. Came back to find my back door window broken and the baccy gone- unfortunately the button to drop the back seats is on top of them, so they'd dropped the seat and snatched it.

We gave up at that point- gaffa taped over the window, and went to get an earlier ferry. At the UK passport control at Calais, the agent asked what has happened to my window- and then reckoned it was a common sight- gangs of Eastern Europeans following people down the N-Route from Belgium apparently, picking on the unwary. Once he mentioned that, it clicked that a Mercedes Sprinter had been going to overtake me on the way back, but had then unexpectedly changed his mind and dropped in behind me.

Live and learn. I don't know whether, in future, to go to Belgium after I've bought all the booze- an unattractive option, increasing my fuel costs, and decreasing my choice of baccy shops since a lot of them close early; taking the baccy with me round the hypermarket in a rucksack...or taking a crew of burly blokes in a couple of extra cars, and several baseball bats! Half a Sprinter full of baccy would be an attractive haul, play the bastards at their own game! :ph34r:

Freakonomics claims it's due to the legalisation of abortion, at least in the US. I don't know when abortion became legal in the uk.