House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Should We All Be A Bit Psychopathic At Work?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22488328

Most of us will probably think of psychopaths as dangerous knife-wielding maniacs who are better off behind bars.

But we've got it wrong, and contrary to our expectations, we could actually learn from psychopaths, argues Oxford University experimental psychologist Kevin Dutton.

"It's true, when psychologists like myself use the word psychopath, images of killers like Ted Bundy go flashing across most people's minds," he says.

However, he argues that we could all benefit from sometimes being more ruthless, fearless, self-confident, focused, mentally tough, charming or charismatic - all of which are traits of a psychopath.

None of these is a problem in itself, he says, the danger comes when "all these traits are turned up too high, and that's when you start getting individuals who are dysfunctional".

"I am not glamorising violent criminal psychopaths," Prof Dutton points out, "because these guys completely devastate other people's lives."

In his new book, The Wisdom of Psychopaths, he says that adopting certain psychopathic characteristics can help us improve our own performance in the workplace.

Psychopaths tend not to procrastinate or take things personally, "and they don't beat themselves up when things go wrong", he says.

"If you're putting in for a rise, you might feel a little anxious about doing that - what would happen if I don't get it, what would my boss think about me?

"Well, just have the courage of your convictions and go for it. Don't focus on the negatives, focus on the positives.

"By doing that it makes you more confident, and more likely to get what you want in the first place."

"They are not going to kill anybody - but indirectly they can damage people because they are so focused on their own success and totally oblivious to the needs of others.

"It is basically an abrasive, bullying management style."

So if we all just focus on the positives the consequence would be???

If everyone took certain psychopathic traits would work just become even more unbearable?

It would certainly make for some interesting discussions at work about who contributed the most...

I don't know if I'm rational at work or a bit psychopathic. Is there a test?

Yes. Would you annoy me if you had a plot on my allotment site?

I was passenger in a car today - psychopath didn't wait for us to come out of road - psychopath wouldn't reverse back a car length so we could get out of road - psychopath expected us to reverse 100 metres to a point where two cars could pass - my friend obliges but decides to reverse back at a snails pace, took maybe 10 minutes plus - psychopath gets out of car, opens my friend's door, pulls him out, I get out and break them up - psychopath shouting like a mad man - 40 minutes later we are on our way. Psychopath turns a 2 minute journey into a 40 minute plus journey. If we just held our ground psychopath style, we would've gone no where. Seriously though, I wish they'd give these scientists something meaningful to do.

I was passenger in a car today - psychopath didn't wait for us to come out of road - psychopath wouldn't reverse back a car length so we could get out of road - psychopath expected us to reverse 100 metres to a point where two cars could pass - my friend obliges but decides to reverse back at a snails pace, took maybe 10 minutes plus - psychopath gets out of car, opens my friend's door, pulls him out, I get out and break them up - psychopath shouting like a mad man - 40 minutes later we are on our way. Psychopath turns a 2 minute journey into a 40 minute plus journey. If we just held our ground psychopath style, we would've gone no where. Seriously though, I wish they'd give these scientists something meaningful to do.

Your mate should of fell on the floor and you call 999, the other blokes a right ****. On the other hand he could of just received some really really bad news, no excuse even so though.

I've been in a few scenarios like yours but not that extreme.

I just make sure that I have a copy of Guns and Ammo on my desk at work. It concentrates the minds of my bosses wonderfully.

Or a big red Swingline stapler... ;)

milton_nervous.jpg

I don't have a copy but somewhere I worked a decade ago had an email doing the rounds in which a brief story was described about a murderer who went back to the scene the next day and you had to say why they did that.

Apparently, if you worked it out, then you have psycopathic tendencies.

I was the only one who did work it out without hesitation which drew some odd looks. But then I've probably watched too much TV crime drama.

I don't have a copy but somewhere I worked a decade ago had an email doing the rounds in which a brief story was described about a murderer who went back to the scene the next day and you had to say why they did that.

Apparently, if you worked it out, then you have psycopathic tendencies.

I was the only one who did work it out without hesitation which drew some odd looks. But then I've probably watched too much TV crime drama.

Was it a variant of this one? Although it's obviously not a real test, I do think it shows an aptitude for cold logic. My guess is that the majority of users of this forum would work this out, since a disproportionate amount of us work in IT and are of that same personality type (INTJ?). I got it pretty well immediately; I don't consider myself to be a psychopath :)

Wasn't there a program on TV recently that said a lot of bosses were psychopaths ?

Psychopaths tend to rise to the top in big businesses and yes, I've known a few of them. But if everyone in business displayed those tendencies then the business would grind to a halt. What makes the business "work" (for want of a better word) is the combination of psychopaths and the normal people.

One of the reasons I got out of big business was because there was too many nutters around.

I just make sure that I have a copy of Guns and Ammo on my desk at work. It concentrates the minds of my bosses wonderfully.

I bought a copy of Soldier of Fortune and left it on my desk a few years back (got the idea from a Dilbert book). Honestly, no-one even noticed. :(

Was it a variant of this one? Although it's obviously not a real test, I do think it shows an aptitude for cold logic. My guess is that the majority of users of this forum would work this out, since a disproportionate amount of us work in IT and are of that same personality type (INTJ?). I got it pretty well immediately; I don't consider myself to be a psychopath :)

The question was substandard though. It wasn't specified she did not continue seeing the mystery man after the funeral. So I did not come to the "conclusion".

The tests used by HR in recruitment are supposed to identify sociopaths. they get fast-tracked for management.

The tests used by HR in recruitment are supposed to identify sociopaths. they get fast-tracked for management.

The test I did for the company I work (personality test) will fail people who do not display traits that can quite easily be seen as ...sociopathic (all relative of course). "Borrowing others ideas" are a good thing to say in this test - something not very apparent if you've just finished uni/school. Just an example as it was quite a few years ago now (now I agree with the idea concept actually).

An old boss of mine once confided in someone that my boss had a dream about me in the back garden, at night, dressed in dark clothing, just standing there...

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it already but, by their nature, properly run corporations are inherently psychopathic.

They're entirely focused on extracting what they need (profit) from the people they interact with. They can be superficially charming and attractive but that's a façade which is maintained only as long as is expedient. No empathy whatsoever.

Traits that certainly applied to several of our prime ministers...Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown especlally. And if you are normal, do not show psychopathic tendencies you are considered grey and boring....John Major.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it already but, by their nature, properly run corporations are inherently psychopathic.

They're entirely focused on extracting what they need (profit) from the people they interact with. They can be superficially charming and attractive but that's a façade which is maintained only as long as is expedient. No empathy whatsoever.

Quite. The multinational juggernaut I work for is akin to a church. The amount of faith in the leader does wane depending on the stock price, but all the structures are the same as in a church/religion. Sermons, shared beliefs, visions, sinners (the poorly rated) etc. and of course maximising the value they get out of you and constant overhang of failure spurring you on to drive profit for the greater good (well the shareholders, this mysterious group of demigods).

Now there's a find. That was it, I think, might have had an extra line or two in it. Especially good find since my memory - as you can see from the original post - is a bit faulty on the specifics.

Yes, INTJ and in IT. But then I'd have thought everyone else around me at Tesco.com would have been, too. "Can't you people see this? What is wrong with you all?" (chuckles)

I thought she did it to eliminate future competition, does this make my a Darwinopath?

I thought she did it to eliminate future competition, does this make my a Darwinopath?

I just thought "Sisters. Yes I have 2 of them. I understand"