House Price Crash Forum
darrude

Living In An Apartment, Problems With Management Company

Hi, I've not been on here in ages but remembered how good some of the advice is on here so I've come back in the hope that somebody can help me!

I know this isn't possibly the best forum for this issue but I'm not sure where else to go and any help or advise would be appreciated.

I've bought my first house (well apartment) and we pay quite heavy service charges (over £100/month). For this they are supposed to clean all windows (albeit at an unspecified interval). The issue that we have however is that some of the windows are difficult (but not impossible) to access and the management company seem to have decided not to clean these for the last 12 months).

What options do I have for forcing them to provide an acceptable service. I have complained several times but just seem to be ignored.

Many Thanks,

Darren.

Hi, I've not been on here in ages but remembered how good some of the advice is on here so I've come back in the hope that somebody can help me!

I know this isn't possibly the best forum for this issue but I'm not sure where else to go and any help or advise would be appreciated.

I've bought my first house (well apartment) and we pay quite heavy service charges (over £100/month). For this they are supposed to clean all windows (albeit at an unspecified interval). The issue that we have however is that some of the windows are difficult (but not impossible) to access and the management company seem to have decided not to clean these for the last 12 months).

What options do I have for forcing them to provide an acceptable service. I have complained several times but just seem to be ignored.

Many Thanks,

Darren.

Are you sure it's not just the common parts? You will be responsible for your share of the costs in doing the work, so if scaffolding etc is required your service charge might increase to £300 a month. £100 a month is peanuts...........

are these your specific windows to your flat? how high up are you.

also, sometimes be careful what you wish for, as poster above says, service charge is not fixed as a rule and you could end up getting a big charge just for washing a few windows, or something similar.

Edited by motch

Hi, Thank you all very much for your replies, I'll be a little less obtrusive than I planned in the letter that I am going to send to them!

We are actually in a ground floor apartment, but one side is against a stream (the side where they don't clean the windows as often as they should). Access into the stream is awkward, but not difficult or particularity dangerous. During heavy rain the stream does get to the point where it would be Knee deep and quite fast flowing, but generally it is ankle deep and very gentle (to give you an idea of how gentle, a family of duck live on it.

There are apartments above ours which I assume have the same issue, but we never see our neighbors as we have our own front door, which is quite a bit away from the communal door. Also we don't have access to the main building (even though we have to pay for the lift maintenance communal area maintenance, which is I think is part of the reason I feel so aggrieved that they aren't even cleaning all our windows).

I would assume that the cleaning of the 4th floor windows would be more challenging than our windows.

Again, Many thanks for your thoughts, I think the first step I will take is to write a constructive letter explaining my concerns and how I feel we are been unfairly treated to prompt them to come back with a solution.

Darren.

You have the option of a leasehold tribunal if you've bought leasehold (not clear from your post). Might be worth mentioning ("I don't want to go to a leasehold tribunal at this stage").

You have the right to ask a leasehold valuation tribunal to determine whether you are liable to pay service charges for services, repairs, maintenance, improvements, insurance or management. You may make a request before or after you have paid the service charge.

http://www.leaseholdadvicecentre.co.uk/service_charges__ground_rent.htm

Could a guy with one of those extra long extendable pole washers do the job from the stream, when its at a really low safe level?

I've seen them do some high windows, at least 3 levels.

Could a guy with one of those extra long extendable pole washers do the job from the stream, when its at a really low safe level?

I've seen them do some high windows, at least 3 levels.

Hi.

Yes, this is how it has been done before, so it's not exactley an issue.

Regards,

Darren.