House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Weekend In London

I'm heading to London in October with a couple of mates for NFL UK at Wembley. Aged late 20s/early 30s, planning on a Saturday afternoon and night out, sunday afternoon at the match and out on the lash after. Where would some of you cockney ******* think about staying and heading out?

Will propably be driving down, have Saturday and Monday day time free but not looking for any specific touristy thing. Actually fancy a wander round the Citeh and maybe Westminster and the drinking establishments but will depend upon my powers of persuasion.

At our age, we're not looking for a hardcore clubbing experience but neither are we ready for pipe and slippers. An area (i.e a selection of bars etc) to go out, slightly upmarket or interesting would be good. Turbo-shandys and cheesy 90s tunes at Yates' is less appealing. Happy to dress up/splash out if worth it.

And then accomodation to best suit, from a 3 or 4 berth room in a hostel, up to room in reasonable hotel. Just don't want to pick a location that's utterly wrong for other plans.

I'm heading to London in October with a couple of mates for NFL UK at Wembley. Aged late 20s/early 30s, planning on a Saturday afternoon and night out, sunday afternoon at the match and out on the lash after. Where would some of you cockney ******* think about staying and heading out?

Will propably be driving down, have Saturday and Monday day time free but not looking for any specific touristy thing. Actually fancy a wander round the Citeh and maybe Westminster and the drinking establishments but will depend upon my powers of persuasion.

At our age, we're not looking for a hardcore clubbing experience but neither are we ready for pipe and slippers. An area (i.e a selection of bars etc) to go out, slightly upmarket or interesting would be good. Turbo-shandys and cheesy 90s tunes at Yates' is less appealing. Happy to dress up/splash out if worth it.

And then accomodation to best suit, from a 3 or 4 berth room in a hostel, up to room in reasonable hotel. Just don't want to pick a location that's utterly wrong for other plans.

I'm no Londoner, but been there quite a few times and always seem to end up partying in Camden. Good hostels around there too. Best gigs there...Roundhouse, Underworld, Koko.

Lots of good, cool freaky people that aren't stuck up bankers as well.

At the risk of getting a deserved kicking for suggesting such places...

For a night out in a few bars and what have you...

1. The Angel - Upper Street/ Camden Passage, round there

2. Shoreditch/ Spitalfields/ Brick Lane

+ A brisk afternoon/ early evening stroll along the South Bank between Vauxhall and Tower Bridge and a nose around Gastrodome-land (easily the best bang for your buck time-wise)

Probably best starting from Vauxhall as opposed to ending there, unless the RVT appeals

Unfortunately, now that the places in Borough, Lower Marsh and Exmouth markets have closed, jellied eels, pie and mash are difficult to come by in Central London.

The Brick Lane Beigel Bake is, mercifully, still in business... with mustard, a most definitely on rye.

Stay in a cheap travelodge - next sale June 6th ish. Register to get advance info on a deal, but you need to be quick and willing to stay wherever the cheap hotels are that day. They open the bookings late on the evening before the sale date (tip)

Camden would get my vote, Angel good but a bit drinking like with the city bankers. Nice evening - south bank OK for a beer or two but choose for views not party atmosphere. Brick lane also a good idea, especially if you want food first.

A trip down the Thames from near Westminister to Greenwich is fun. Especially, if the talkative captain is on board to recount a pack of lies about the what you're seeing as you journey down the river. Perhaps even a walk up the Observatory or a look around the Maritime museum at Greenwich itself.

Then onto the DLR - grab the front seats to fulfil boyhood fantasies of driving a train (?) as well as a great view of entering the Underground- back into the city.

If you are free early(ish) on Sunday - then Spitalfields/Brick Lane are good for a mooch (and yes, the bagel bakery must be tried).

Science museum is good for boys toys too. Full size planes, trains and rockets are all there.

Another thumbs up for Camden for music/drinking and observing the general bonkersness. Depending on your music tastes, The Intrepid Fox may be worth seeking out. Dunno what it's like since it moved though - it used to have a strict no suits dress code too.

Ballet at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden?

I went to a nightclub "the Gardening Club" back in the 90's. Not bad if I recall, but I was off my tits! :D

Camden, Primrose Hill, Camden market, Camden palace always used to be good, Roundhouse, marine ices, Hampstead heath, the Highgate Cemetery tour and the canals around little Venice. ;)

See sense man. Drop that London shite and visit Hartlepool instead.

Admittedly you're just as likely to be bummed or mugged.

But at least that sore @rse will cost you 10% of Lahn-dan prices...

XYY

I'm no Londoner, but been there quite a few times and always seem to end up partying in Camden. Good hostels around there too. Best gigs there...Roundhouse, Underworld, Koko.

Lots of good, cool freaky people that aren't stuck up bankers as well.

Camden is it. Of all London things I miss Camden the most.

Apart from people watching at the market, there are plenty of music venues in the area too. I used to go to a comedy club called Jongleurs. I don't actually know if it's still there, but definitely worth a punt.

Shout me some drinks and I'll show you a good time! :D

I jest of course, as a boring married SE London suburbanite I ain't got a fackin' scooby about the current state of Central London nightlife, but you'd have though there'd be some proper Hep Cats on here to be in a position to make such an offer! :rolleyes:

TBH, when I fancied a night out in London, I just used to buy a Time Out, scan the club listings for something that looked to my taste, and just turn up. Time Out's a freesheet now as I understand it, but I daresay it still has the listings in for everything from contemporary art to leather fetish nights. Probably worth a go.

As for daytime entertainment, you're completely spolied for choice in London. Certainly you'd have to be a dull philestine not to get at the very least an afternoon's interest out of the V&A and/or the Science Museum- I've already been but I reckon I could still spend a whole day in Kensington (for free) and come away happy. You might as well see the Palace of Westminster and then walk down The Mall to Buckingham Palace- a half an hour job. Plenty of the scenery along the Thames is splendid. Since I live here, I'm sort of used to it :rolleyes: .

Accomodation wise, if you can't find a Travelodge / Premier Inn typle place to suit, then there are a bunch of backpacker type places near Euston Station, I think. Should be good for a chat, or if you're lucky an after hours fumble with a dreadlocked aussie bird :D .

There is a good comedy club in Greenwich called up the creek, Greenwich a bit of a faff to get to but you could ,take the Thames clipper from embankment, and they serve drink on board. There is a club type thing after the comedy, not too hard core though. You would have to then get a cab back to central or possibly stay in Greenwich, but you are then a bit tied. In terms of daytime activities, there is the observatory and other such stuff in Greenwich, but the Thames clipper is a good way to get around as you can actually see London as you go.

Camden was also a good shout, or hooter nanny in brixton has some live music.

edit to add - can someone help me with my laptop dilemma now - see other thread.

Agree, been to Hartlepool several times, love the place.

Just don't mention the monkey. ;)

Time flies, going this weekend. Getting the train down and staying near Kings Cross, no idea what we're going to do aside from the match.

I still have a few places left for this weekend's open top bus tour around Hackney's fried chicken shops. There will be a guide to tell you

the history of them, when they opened, what they used be, etc.

Just send me a £50 deposit per person by paypal.

Admittedly you're just as likely to be bummed or mugged.

But at least that sore @rse will cost you 10% of Lahn-dan prices...

XYY

Aye, you get bummed and mugged by real men up there. :blink:

On the Hartlepool angle - was just thinking about the monkey story. Genius.

Kings Cross - loads of prossies (or used to be)

The prossies have all been shifted up to mornington crescent direction. Excellent also for tramps and alkies.