House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Eight Of The Aircraft Are Missing

A film made later may have had a scrolling page at the end to explain the full after-effects of the raid.

It's been discussed again this week. If it really didn't have that much effect on German production, why did they desperately rebuild the dams as far as possible? We have no idea what total war is really about any more. Over 60 men lost in one night is unthinkable now. Of course, the ones shot down flying so low gave them no chance of bailing out.

We had a group flyout a few years ago to visit the Mohne and Eder dams, and then overflew them (not at 60ft, I might add).

Having stood on them and seen the terrain close-up from the air, how they ever managed to do what they did is beyond me. The approach to the Mohne is comparatively straight forward (although it is an absolutely huge construction), but the Eder..... I wouldn't fancy it in a Cessna 172 in the daytime, let alone a Lancaster at night while being shot at, not even considering the hills they had to avoid the other side.

I also overflew the Sorpe, and looking at it it's fairly obvious why they failed to breach that one.

What is also very moving is if you climb off the Mohne and down the other side, you're also looking straight at a small village nestled along the the dry valley about 1/2 mile away. It must have been totally wiped out when the dam went.

An amazing feat of courage, skill and technical innovation. It also lead to the tragic loss of many civilian lives. But then such is war.

Guest eight

Just imagine the fiendish financial derivatives Barnes Wallis could dream up if he were alive today.

Remarkable bravery and excellent piloting skills to attack these dams, I'm sure many modern military pilots wouldn't fancy the challenge.

Although I thought it was considered a success in the fact the Germans than had to tie up more troops and equipment to protect infrastructure after the raid, even though the raid itself didn't achieve much in disrupting production? However I would have thought the psychological impact of the raid was enough to warrant the attempt?

We visited Scampton on in May 2009 to see a Red Arrows practice (who then proceeded to dump coloured diesel all over the cars in the carpark) and to visit the 617 Sqdrn museum. The plaque was in place - I think it had been taken away and restored.

BTW the dog isn't buried there anyway. No-one knows where it is really buried. One theory is that it was done in secret as rival squadrons had a habit of "collecting" trophies from each other and it was felt that one might have come along and dug him up and taken him off.....

We visited Scampton on in May 2009 to see a Red Arrows practice (who then proceeded to dump coloured diesel all over the cars in the carpark) and to visit the 617 Sqdrn museum. The plaque was in place - I think it had been taken away and restored.

BTW the dog isn't buried there anyway. No-one knows where it is really buried. One theory is that it was done in secret as rival squadrons had a habit of "collecting" trophies from each other and it was felt that one might have come along and dug him up and taken him off.....

Serves you right, should have flown in :lol:.

Serves you right, should have flown in :lol:.

We did! There were quite a few others there who didn't, though....

And I managed to balls up the landing and had to go around (on a 2000m + runway in a C172!)

And I managed to balls up the landing and had to go around (on a 2000m + runway in a C172!)

That must have amused the RAF controllers. I never had much to do with runways, but I believe the trick with those long ones is to fly down it and touch down near the taxi way to save your tyres.

That must have amused the RAF controllers. I never had much to do with runways, but I believe the trick with those long ones is to fly down it and touch down near the taxi way to save your tyres.

To be fair, it was more a matter of spacing. It was a group fly-in and about 10 aircraft pitched up at once. I had to go round as I ended up too close to the one in front and I didn't really want to cause a runway incursion in front of the Red Arrows!

I managed to balls up landing at Aldergrove once in a Rallye 150ST. :D

Heavy duty ATC has that effect.

I used to feel a bit intimidated by Heathrow Special, until one of the controllers asked me what the traffic was like on the M25 as his shift ended in 15 minutes.

Heavy duty ATC has that effect.

I used to feel a bit intimidated by Heathrow Special, until one of the controllers asked me what the traffic was like on the M25 as his shift ended in 15 minutes.

Never bothered to even try Heathrow as a refusal quite often offends! I presume clearance is more likely for helicopters compared to fixed wing?

Never bothered to even try Heathrow as a refusal quite often offends! I presume clearance is more likely for helicopters compared to fixed wing?

Heathrow Special are for SVFR and London heli routes. I have never landed at Heathrow, but I have crossed it on H9 which is fun. You hold short of the runway at low level and wait for a crossing clearance "Helicopter X-XXXX, cleared to cross 27 after the Virgin 747 just landing", you don't hang about as there's not a lot of time before the next inbound heavy.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/20100316LondonHeliChart.pdf