House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saving since 2005

Anyone Tried To Get Tickets To Pmq?

Has anyone else tried to get tickets to view PMQ? For some reason I was inspired to apply yesterday and got the reply from my mps office to say he only gets 3 pairs of tickets a year and has already promised them to other people. This seams a little strange only 6 tickets a year, and I'm a Westminster resident.

Has anyone else tried to get tickets to view PMQ? For some reason I was inspired to apply yesterday and got the reply from my mps office to say he only gets 3 pairs of tickets a year and has already promised them to other people. This seams a little strange only 6 tickets a year, and I'm a Westminster resident.

Say I'll take a pair from next year's allocation and see if he has promised those too.

Possibly only 6 tickets a year without a brown envelope/correct hand-shake/arms deal/promise of a directorship etc.

I'll have to take your word its not worth it, although it sounds like you went more than once?

People can get in there early and q for tickets, but I highly doubt it is worth that. Just one more thing to tick off the list before leaving London really.

Why oh why oh Why would you want to go and look? It is people like you doing this that only encourages MPs.

If we all just ignored them perhaps they would disappear into nothing like Queen Mab.

There are 650 MPs and parliament only sits for around 30 weeks of the year. You're asking for tickets to the main event, is it really so unbelievable that each MP would only receive a small allocation for this? Bear in mind that they probably hold some back for people to apply directly and for attendees on the day.

I have no idea of the capacity of the public gallery in the HOC, best I could find quickly was this layout:

_40172095_house_commons_inf416.gif

If we use the quoted six tickets then a guess at capacity would be 650 (MP) x 6 (Tickets)/30 (Weeks) = 130

Would it be reasonable to say that public gallery above could have a capacity of c.130?

There are 650 MPs and parliament only sits for around 30 weeks of the year. You're asking for tickets to the main event, is it really so unbelievable that each MP would only receive a small allocation for this? Bear in mind that they probably hold some back for people to apply directly and for attendees on the day.

I have no idea of the capacity of the public gallery in the HOC, best I could find quickly was this layout:

If we use the quoted six tickets then a guess at capacity would be 650 (MP) x 6 (Tickets)/30 (Weeks) = 130

Would it be reasonable to say that public gallery above could have a capacity of c.130?

been a couple of times. guess it could fit a hundred or so easily. however, most times i have been it has been half empty..... :(

Why oh why oh Why would you want to go and look? It is people like you doing this that only encourages MPs.

If we all just ignored them perhaps they would disappear into nothing like Queen Mab.

If you don't mind I prefer it the way we have it.

The alternative is to live in a country where the people do not have that right.

During the 80s when I lived in London I managed to get in and watch the Westland Debate. In those days the people in power were much more impressive figures than we have these days. Watching such an important event is a memory that I will remember forever.

The alternative is to live in a country where the people do not have that right.

During the 80s when I lived in London I managed to get in and watch the Westland Debate. In those days the people in power were much more impressive figures than we have these days. Watching such an important event is a memory that I will remember forever.

I can't help feeling that the screen probably takes something away from it too.

But you do not have that right. You tried to go there and you found out that you could not.

:D

GO ! It is worth it.

MPs tickets are limited for reasons other posters have given, but you can also turn up on the day and take your chance IIRC. Lot's of people do this and it is 'first come first served' or used to be so.

I would make a visit to the Palace of Westminster and the Houses of Parliament a part of the National Curriculum, if it wasn't impractical because of numbers of children.

Definitely take one of the guided tours before Parliiament sits. I think they are on a Thursday morning. One of the better things to do on a visit to London.

You can also sit in on any debate in the HoC and HoL, the latter can be especially good if it is a 'hot topic'.

Select Committees are worth attending also. More people should visit these to see how Parliament i) holds people to account and ii) seeks expert opinion.

More people should do this.

Another advantage to visiting the Palace of Westminster is if you want to see your MP and have found that getting a constituency meeting is difficult. If you go to the Central Lobby you can ask the clerk to issue a green card to your MP. Your MP, if he is in Westminster - he is likely to be Mon-Thur - then has to come and speak to you in Central Lobby as soon as he/she is available, the MP can't get out of it.

The above enthusiasm for our democracy is separate to being a supporter of individual MPs

Its more the system that surprised me. I mean it doesn't seam like a very fair way to allocate such scarce tickets, for someone to have just promised them to someone else. I contacted my parents mp and they say there is a 10 year waiting list! Surely there is a better way.

Its more the system that surprised me. I mean it doesn't seam like a very fair way to allocate such scarce tickets, for someone to have just promised them to someone else. I contacted my parents mp and they say there is a 10 year waiting list! Surely there is a better way.

Seems you can still turn up and queue as you used to be able. First come first served

Attending PmQ

Question Time

In both Houses, the busiest time is during Question Time. In the Commons it is Prime Minister's Question Time. Free tickets are necessary to ensure entrance, and are only issued to UK residents who contact their MP or a Lord to request them. Overseas visitors and UK residents without tickets can queue but will only gain entrance if there is space after ticket-holders.

I've taken a few people on that basis

Seems you can still turn up and queue as you used to be able. First come first served

Attending PmQ

I've taken a few people on that basis

Any idea what times to arrive to secure a ticket? I work full time so would take a day off if I had a ticket but not really want to spend a days holiday in a q unless I was likley to be successful?

Any idea what times to arrive to secure a ticket? I work full time so would take a day off if I had a ticket but not really want to spend a days holiday in a q unless I was likley to be successful?

These days ? Can't take the responsbility to advise if you are travelling just for this.

A few years ago the queue used to form a few hours ahead and only a few would get in, most would be disappointed.

Another problem today is that the seating area within the gallery has been made smaller due to the installation of a glass front to prevent flour bomb attacks.

Security has also changed since, as have other things, which make getting in slower.

You'd best ask the clerk (forget the correct name) who issues the daily tickets at the entrance to St Stephens.

More info here

the purpose of my first post was to let you know that there are alternatives to an MP's ticket and that while PmQ is worth seeing for the 'spectacle', it is not the only show in town. For example, a guided tour and then off to the galleries to watch general debates or attend a Select Committee will make for a very interesting day. As will a beer in the Red Lion afterwards.

Edited to add:

You can always increase your chances by choosing off-peak occasions e.g.

If you can be spontaneous and do not need public transport to get to London, attending on a Wednesday near when this happens, would probably increase your chances.