House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Science Fiction

Came across an interesting list of novels, with summaries - I've read two of the authors, but not these books.

"Really, most science fiction is about economics. What makes most future visions interesting is not just the technical particulars of the cool new Stuff, but the social ramifications. Here are some of the sci-fi books that I thought dealt with important economic issues in the most insightful and interesting ways. I also chose only books that I think are well-written, with well-conceived characters, engaging plots, and skillful writing."

http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.it/2013/05/science-fiction-for-economists.html

According to the comments section someone named Hari Seldon is a glaring omission.

Would like some views on the economics angle and what I've been missing.

[Fiction is about people, so there should be sex scenes (not intense) with a fat tail distribution.]

Sci Fi is all about scantily clad gorgeous chicks and lots of blasting stuff.

Whilst I was supposedly revising for my finals I developed a tremendous interest in Asimov's Foundation (cue the Hari Seldon reference) series and read the lot.

At the end of which I concluded that moving images of scantily clad gorgeous chicks and lots of blasting stuff was definitely the way to go.

edit: ...and mixed shower scenes. They're good too

I'm not sure that most science fiction is strictly about economics. Unless we're talking a loose definition of economics which encompasses all social issues

Most science fiction is arguably about social science and employed to explore contemporary issues and possible solutions.

Before it was branded as sci-fi it existed as political allegory, myths and fairy tales. It's all the same stuff.

edit: I'd argue that Thomas Moore's snappily titled A Truly Golden Little Book, No Less Beneficial Than Entertaining, of the Best State of a Republic, and of the New Island Utopia is an example of 16th century 'sci-fi'.

I wouldn't say most, but a lot of space opera involves economic speculation. Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth books are centred around the heads of a group of families made obscenely rich by inventing worm hole technology for example. The social structures he predicts are a big part of the story, although not as much as the space ships, hot women, exploding spaceships and scary aliens of course.

The sci-fi alien chicks I find most attractive go to a great deal of effort to avoid being scantily clad - or even the tiniest bit unclad.

Economist and sci-fi eh?

Try...

Colossus: The Forbin Project

any online novel?

I enjoy 'good' science fiction, by which I mean writers, etc., who explore the potential outcomes of developing technologies and warn us of what may happen in an entertaining and accessible way.

Generally that excludes spaceship shootouts and little green men of any colour. Star Trek bores me.

Wyndham's "The Trouble With Lichen" is an example of the sort of stuff i enjoy and find thought-provoking. Not a UFO in sight.

I enjoy 'good' science fiction, by which I mean writers, etc., who explore the potential outcomes of developing technologies and warn us of what may happen in an entertaining and accessible way.

Generally that excludes spaceship shootouts and little green men of any colour. Star Trek bores me.

Wyndham's "The Trouble With Lichen" is an example of the sort of stuff i enjoy and find thought-provoking. Not a UFO in sight.

"A Billion days of Earth" by Doris Piserchia! Could be a film, but would be a strange one!

I think this is the classic argument - Ellison makes your point (7:09):

I still love Aliens.