House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

No Flag Of St George For Radstock

http://www.somersetg...tail/story.html

The flag of St George will not be flying over Radstock any time soon after town councillors decided it was inappropriate because of its links with campaigns against Islam hundreds of years ago.

The town council decided to not to buy a St George's flag after a discussion about repairs to the civic flagpole to ensure a Union Jack could be flown on Armistice Day.

Councillor Eleanor Jackson (Lab, Radstock), a university lecturer and teacher, said its use during the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries could mean the English national flag could be seen by some as offensive.

Nasima Begum, a spokeswoman for the Muslim Council of Britain, said it encouraged the flying of the St George's flag.

She said: "St George needs to take his rightful place as a national symbol of inclusivity rather than a symbol of hatred. St George actually lived before the birth of Islam and should not be associated with any hatred of Muslims."

So, translated, pig ignorant leftie Councillor makes decision based on her own prejudice.

I wouldn't allow it either. It was the first papal banner awarded to a secular group, the Vikings who had settled in Normandy to show they were conquering England with the Pope's blessing.

It was these very same Vikings from all over Europe, Normandy, England and Sicily/southern Italy (Tancred) who went to the middle east to found new kingdoms.

http://en.m.wikipedi...ince_of_Galilee

Your page is full of holes....

This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2011)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (December 2011)

The Muslims themselves (according to this quoted spokeswoman) do not have an issue with it. What is yours?

Perhaps it is time to re-habilitate the swastika?

After all, it was many things before the Nazis grabbed it

You'd think anyone truly incensed by the sight of the St George's cross might choose not to live in the country whose flag it happens to be.

Here she is:

http://democracy.bathnes.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=266

She now finds herself in the unusual position of being a Labour politician who is defending (albeit misguidedly) the sensitivities of Jews, a rare event indeed. I bet she feels pretty stupid about it all now.

So, translated, pig ignorant leftie Councillor makes decision based on her own prejudice.

Same as when some council from the North West tried to ban a school from putting on a play based on the Three Little Pigs nursery rhyme because it might upset Muslims. Radio 4, to its credit, tracked down the local Imam who gave a very indignant interview, in a broad manchester accent, during which he pointed out that the Koran only says you can't eat pork or touch a pig and says nothing about playing one on stage. He also pointed out that idiot lefties doing that kind of crap increased rather than decreased prejudice.

I wouldn't want it either. Why waste taxpayers' money on any flag?

But if some group wanted to fly it and were funding it privately, I wouldn't stand in their way.

I wouldn't want it either. Why waste taxpayers' money on any flag?

But if some group wanted to fly it and were funding it privately, I wouldn't stand in their way.

We must be aware of the drift which tends to happen in these circumstances,,,,

Council decides not to fly a flag now because of so called minority oppression in 5 years becomes council bans flags because of same minority oppression.

Same as when some council from the North West tried to ban a school from putting on a play based on the Three Little Pigs nursery rhyme because it might upset Muslims. Radio 4, to its credit, tracked down the local Imam who gave a very indignant interview, in a broad manchester accent, during which he pointed out that the Koran only says you can't eat pork or touch a pig and says nothing about playing one on stage. He also pointed out that idiot lefties doing that kind of crap increased rather than decreased prejudice.

A 6 year old muslem girl in my son's class at school berated him for watching peppa pig because 'pigs are dirty'. I had to laugh.

The thing is, that Muslims have no objection to this flag, a loony left Protestant Councillor presumes to imagine that they do without ever having asked them if they do.

A more realistic question would be "Why do taxpayers fund Eleanor Jackson's income when she could be getting off of her backside and getting a job cleaning toilets?"

Labour, a lecturer and female. The set.

Indoctrination, idiocy, elected by the ignorant to pontificate on things she doesn't understand doing more harm than good.

Soneone tell this person that the Union Jack is widely regarded by some communities as a symbol of bloody oppression and even has its own nickname, the "butcher's apron".

And still is- if you're a vegetarian in Asia, look for the swastika displayed on restaurant's signs.

I once encountered a swastika carved into a stone wall in a town in the lake district (it may have been Kendal or Keswick), it had been there since Victorian times as a good luck symbol.The Nazis buggered up the use of runes and such like to.

I once encountered a swastika carved into a stone wall in a town in the lake district (it may have been Kendal or Keswick), it had been there since Victorian times as a good luck symbol.The Nazis buggered up the use of runes and such like to.

Believe it or not, the First World War memorial in Swansea has got swastikas in the corners of the border

So what exactly have the people of Georgia done to upset some Radstock Councillors that they feel the need to insult them.

In truth a bit of a non story apart from the rather bizarre reasoning of one individual (who presumably won't be accepting first aid from the Red Cross or St Johns amulance as they also use 'Crusader' symbols). The Council were actually discussing what flag to buy for Armistice Day and purchased a Union flag which is at the end of the day the flag the British army fought under in the two world wars.

BTW Radstock Town Council is effectively just a civil Parish Council. This means that under the Local Government Act 1972 it only requires 6 voters to sign petition to call a public parish meeting on the issue. If 10 voters at the meeting ask for the question to be put to the people then a local referendum would have to be called.

I was fortunate to get the chance to visit a fascinating exhibition of Afghan history a few years ago. Among the exhibits, the contents of the graves of six incredibly rich people from the first century AD (the richest contained 5000 gold items). A knife sheaf in the man's[1] grave was richly decorated in swastikas. Definite cognitive dissonance from our generation's point of view: you have to adjust your world view to a time when the swastika was a positive symbol, and bear in mind that these afghan folks may indeed have been the real aryans.

[1] The other five being women.

So what exactly have the people of Georgia done to upset some Radstock Councillors that they feel the need to insult them.

In truth a bit of a non story apart from the rather bizarre reasoning of one individual (who presumably won't be accepting first aid from the Red Cross or St Johns amulance as they also use 'Crusader' symbols). The Council were actually discussing what flag to buy for Armistice Day and purchased a Union flag which is at the end of the day the flag the British army fought under in the two world wars.

BTW Radstock Town Council is effectively just a civil Parish Council. This means that under the Local Government Act 1972 it only requires 6 voters to sign petition to call a public parish meeting on the issue. If 10 voters at the meeting ask for the question to be put to the people then a local referendum would have to be called.

Could they declare UDI and remove themselves from the EU if enough people voted in the referendum? ;)

A 6 year old muslem girl in my son's class at school berated him for watching peppa pig because 'pigs are dirty'. I had to laugh.

Indeed, all you can do is laugh.

Bit random but sort of related - maybe.

Got myself some Haribo fizzy cola bottles from local shop few days ago. Noticed they had a big 'halal' sticker on the front.

Read the back and this was down to using cow gelatine rather than what i assume is the norm - pig.

Got me thinking - if a Jew were to go in the same shop it would be the halal ones they would buy as well :lol:

I imagine Haribo make the same ones but either put a 'halal' or 'kosher' sticker on them ?

Or maybe they just use horse like everyone else . . :D

A few years back I was annoyed to find out my kids Primary School didn't sing Baa Baa Black Sheep either as it's racist apparently. I kicked off to the Governors as the alternative they were taught "Jersey Cow Jersey Cow have you any milk?" ended with a line about making kids fat, you couldn't make it up!. Governors were as feminazi as the staff and I got nowhere pointing out Black Sheep were in fact more valuable than white ones so the ban made no sense.

There are in fact rules about flying flags in this country, public buildings can fly the Union Flag all the time now, used to be restricted but planning permission is still needed for certain flags at certain times. I have a book somewhere about it but the Flag Institute (yes really) website tells all.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=14

Campaigns against Islam?

Hilarious!

barbary pirates, the ottoman empire, the islamic crusades, circassian slavery.

Islam as a single entity has done more warmongering, more oppressing, more butchering than any nation, religion, culture or people on the planet. I highly doubt a wee liccle flag will 'offend' them. It is, after all, a war doctrine.

No, this councillor is probably just hoping they will spare her once sharia law takes over in Radstock.

It is an inconvenient truth for Marxists that different societies have different levels of technological progress, surely if all humans are equal then Uganda should have the same standard of living as Switzerland? The strategy of the political class is therefore to try and raise third-world living standards, by aid, and to lower first-world living standards, by multiculturalism.

The most destructive culture on the planet is Islam so these are the immigrants preferred by the European Left:

http://www.themuslimtimes.org/2013/01/countries/france/muslims-burn-about-1200-cars-on-new-years-eve-in-france

Guest eight

surely if all humans are equal then Uganda should have the same standard of living as Switzerland?

Should have gone with Swaziland.

Guest eight

A few years back I was annoyed to find out my kids Primary School didn't sing Baa Baa Black Sheep either as it's racist apparently. I kicked off to the Governors as the alternative they were taught "Jersey Cow Jersey Cow have you any milk?" ended with a line about making kids fat, you couldn't make it up!. Governors were as feminazi as the staff and I got nowhere pointing out Black Sheep were in fact more valuable than white ones so the ban made no sense.

There are in fact rules about flying flags in this country, public buildings can fly the Union Flag all the time now, used to be restricted but planning permission is still needed for certain flags at certain times. I have a book somewhere about it but the Flag Institute (yes really) website tells all.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=14

Schools are mental. My current bugbear is that ours won't let the kids leave the building unless they're wearing sun cream and hats.

Our local public buildings do fly the gay pride flag once a year - wonder what the Muslims think of that?