House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bemusedmover

Denbighshire/north Wales

Hello everyone....

I have been a long time (very impressed) lurker........

finally couldn`t stand it any longer and signed-up

It is our intention to shortly be in a position to buy in the above area. It will be cash, no finance and Yes we intend to retire there.

I have "property-bee" and a lot of "saved" properties under "watch"

BUT was interested in the forums views on this area

propery-bee has highlighted some very interesting up-down, sold-available shenanigan's

.....I only asked because this area seems to have been overlooked

thanks

I'm in Gwynedd. Moved last year.

For me, North Wales is the undiscovered country. Beautiful place to live and retire - shame there's hardly any jobs (but less relevant with home working and internet). Friendly people - less yobbish than most areas of the UK now. It's not quite the land the HPI forgot (that's Stoke on Trent) - but there is value if you keep looking. It took us two years to find the place which met all of our requirements.

Generally, I think the market is slowly drifting down. Some of the stuff has been on here for years - best avoided as the seller likely has no real plans to sell. Reasonable levels of reality and less BS within the EA profession compared with elsewhere. Particularly if you talk to the old guys.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Hello everyone....

It is our intention to shortly be in a position to buy in the above area. It will be cash, no finance and Yes we intend to retire there.

propery-bee has highlighted some very interesting up-down, sold-available shenanigan's

thanks

Can you swim?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=961&q=denbighshire+floods&oq=denbighshire+floods&gs_l=img.3..0i24.2068.7488.0.7882.19.10.0.9.9.0.89.582.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.Y5hL-Xzg8P0

Hello everyone....

thanks

just the info I was after - it sort of confirms my impressions

Hello everyone....

thanks

just the info I was after - it sort of confirms my impressions thanks

@ democcuruptcy - Yes I can swim thanks for the piccies I wet myself at your reply

Edited - due to missing "thanks" off post

just the info I was after - it sort of confirms my impressions thanks

@ democcuruptcy - Yes I can swim thanks for the piccies I wet myself at your reply

Edited - due to missing "thanks" off post

There is a flood map on here, enter a postcode or place in the box on the right. Then zoom in.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31650.aspx

There is a flood map on here, enter a postcode or place in the box on the right. Then zoom in.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31650.aspx

have already done so...........

...........you got to live a little!!!!!!!!!!

.........my great Aunt has lived closer to the sea than my "dream" choice and she has been dry for 40 years

Thankfully not!!!! - interesting article though

(my opinions on wind power are currently being discussed in the off topic section)

.....still not sold ours yet but have saved over 180 properties on rightmove, hopefully one will suit when the time comes.

I note houses are still going up, down, up again SSTC then for sale again

unfortunately my preferred choice has just gone SSTC too :(

Thankfully not!!!! - interesting article though

(my opinions on wind power are currently being discussed in the off topic section)

.....still not sold ours yet but have saved over 180 properties on rightmove, hopefully one will suit when the time comes.

I note houses are still going up, down, up again SSTC then for sale again

unfortunately my preferred choice has just gone SSTC too :(

Hmmmmmmmm! clearly this area is "booming"

out of 192 "saved" properties 7 are "removed" and 15 are SSTC :unsure:

well today has been a sobering experience :o

finally in a position to start viewing houses in this area - offer now accepted on my existing house

MY GOD - what a load of completely knackered shite :o

what planet are these vendors and estate agents on????????????

viewed 5 today, all been on right move for in excess of a year (or some 7 years or more)

..............hardly any completions on land registry since January (less than 200 across whole coastline)

I/we ask to view a house and suddenly they are so busy we may have to wait a week or more - yet when pooping in to agents offices they are full of staff chatting and reading papers, which are quickly put down and hurried phone calls rejecting offers to purchasers are made..........

3 of the 5 mysteriously had another viewer in the house as we arrived...............

(on one wreck a viewer who had supposedly made a full asking price un shakeable offer having never seen it arrived as we left with a car full of kids- he was supposed to live in Birmingham but had a welsh symbol on his number plate) All todays houses were in a terrible state and were effectively a building plot..........(cheaper to demolish and start again).

even viewing agent was embarrassed about the house with a massive illegal extension on back which had started to fall away from house (but it had potential of course) the crack at the top was 8inches wide yet this was the one mentioned above with the offer on it

3 of the houses had had no attention to garden since photos taken 3 years ago, one house had a for sale board from an estate agent who acted over 2 years ago (its on its third since then)

driving round area loads of sold signs - so where are the completions?

and are there any sound property`s left in north wales

but it had potential of course

I have discussed the word 'potential' with quite a few agents, my premise being that it is the same as the covenants should planning be obtained on a green field site and why should I pay the seller for work that is required to make the property habitable or to a grade A standard. Usually I am accused of not being a serious buyer and shown the door. Some have agreed with me, but do state that someone will pay the asking price and the seller is advised to wait for the mug, because there is always one.

As to the SSTC properties, most buyers are hopefuls that are yet to sell their own and believe that by making an offer that is accepted they have reserved the house that they want. Try discussing "being in a position to actually buy" with an agent or seller and setting a fixed completion date with offer, I usually get told that I am being unreasonable and the seller would never agree.

Wales seems to have a high degree of forebearance and those that are repos the banks will hold on for the agents valuation regardless of what is actually owed on the property.

It is the same thing in Swansea.

I look at wrecks in Sketty or the Mumbles/Gower on for 300K to 350K and I get EAs saying stuff like "If you just spend 100K on it" to which I always ask them how long it would take them to personally earn 100K before tax let alone after it.

Completely deluded IMPO.

I occasionally look at the London properties on for 1 to 2 million - not that I can afford anything near those prices - but I can half understand why they command that money. Most of them have been completely gutted and remodelled inside and out so that they are effectively new houses - i.e. the terraces have often had rooms knocked into one with giant sun doors, etc. Look fab.

Plus such houses are IN London so you could, if you have half a brain, earn a big fat salary.

So when I see knackered, run-down sh*te on for sale in Swansea West for 300K I just can only assume the EAs and sellers are trying it on.

well today has been a sobering experience :o

finally in a position to start viewing houses in this area - offer now accepted on my existing house

MY GOD - what a load of completely knackered shite :o

what planet are these vendors and estate agents on????????????

Yep - propertybee is your friend on these. Anything on for more than a year with tiny reductions is basically unsellable at the price and seller is deluded. Yep - and most of the housing stock is rather tired on account of many people having no cash to maintain it.

I had the same experience as you with the estate agents. Everything moves rather slower here - and even a single day's bank holiday means every grinds to a halt about a week either side of it. The first time I came to view a few places, the estate agents had managed to organise none out of the dozen I requested (and they didn't bother telling me until I turned up at their office either having travelled several hundred miles).

Thankfully, the second experience (well away from any bank holidays) was rather happier and the same staff could not be more eager to help. Saw a dozen houses in 2 days, offered on 4 of them, and successful on one of them.

Yep - propertybee is your friend on these. Anything on for more than a year with tiny reductions is basically unsellable at the price and seller is deluded. Yep - and most of the housing stock is rather tired on account of many people having no cash to maintain it.

I had the same experience as you with the estate agents. Everything moves rather slower here - and even a single day's bank holiday means every grinds to a halt about a week either side of it. The first time I came to view a few places, the estate agents had managed to organise none out of the dozen I requested (and they didn't bother telling me until I turned up at their office either having travelled several hundred miles).

Thankfully, the second experience (well away from any bank holidays) was rather happier and the same staff could not be more eager to help. Saw a dozen houses in 2 days, offered on 4 of them, and successful on one of them.

I take it you have found a house in north wales that was habitable?

.....how the hell did you manage that?

and where?

I take it you have found a house in north wales that was habitable?

.....how the hell did you manage that?

and where?

Plenty of work required and problems with ours I'm afraid. Two which would put off most right from the off - a public footpath through the garden and one of next doors rooms is a very temporary looking structure on the back of our house. Not to mention no central heating, no real improvements for 30 years and rotten windows. Thankfully, the final price reflected the problems. A 3BR house with a decent sized garden in a quiet village surrounded by natural beauty and chilled neighbours for about 40% off peak selling prices for similar.

The way I figured it is that our predecessors must have coped alright - and the price was right so we went for it. It's worked out well so far - and we are slowly tackling the problems with the place.

But you are right the housing stock is generally pretty poor. Very little new build ie younger than 40 years. The local materials eg slate especially are not ideal for house building. Very few people with sufficient cash/motivation to upgrade their house to decent modern standards. The picturesque stuff tends to have the worst problems. I even saw a few places without mains water and electricity - and apparently until recently lived in - usually by some old chap who'd passed on.

Plenty of work required and problems with ours I'm afraid. Two which would put off most right from the off - a public footpath through the garden and one of next doors rooms is a very temporary looking structure on the back of our house. Not to mention no central heating, no real improvements for 30 years and rotten windows. Thankfully, the final price reflected the problems. A 3BR house with a decent sized garden in a quiet village surrounded by natural beauty and chilled neighbours for about 40% off peak selling prices for similar.

The way I figured it is that our predecessors must have coped alright - and the price was right so we went for it. It's worked out well so far - and we are slowly tackling the problems with the place.

But you are right the housing stock is generally pretty poor. Very little new build ie younger than 40 years. The local materials eg slate especially are not ideal for house building. Very few people with sufficient cash/motivation to upgrade their house to decent modern standards. The picturesque stuff tends to have the worst problems. I even saw a few places without mains water and electricity - and apparently until recently lived in - usually by some old chap who'd passed on.

I am happy to upgrade, wiring plastering, joinery and minor building works are well within me

but wife is in poor health so a dry roof and windows are very important, so is mains gas and NO water meter.

we already burn logs ALOT (saved £300 plus last year) but need central heating too

it has to be liveable straight away too especially as it will be winter by the time we move in

houses being disposed of by grasping relatives seem to be par for the course..... 4 out of yesterdays 5 were "estate sales"

............More to see tomorrow ;) - thanks for the info

but wife is in poor health so a dry roof and windows are very important, so is mains gas and NO water meter.

Good luck. Be careful on the gas front. Large areas of North Wales are without mains gas. We went to see a place that had "mains" gas - and it wasn't we walked past it a few months later after it had sold that it turned out to be two huge gas bottles outside of the house. I think they hadn't been connected up before - hence not spotting.

The good news is that they seem to be in no hurry to introduce water meters as standard round here. I guess there is plenty of the stuff falling from the sky.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Even in Mumbles there are houses not on mains gas, sewers, etc. A relative of mine lived in Mumbles but had neither. This kind of thing is common across Wales. I oftrn view houses in Swansea which lack one or both.

Internet access is another problem. I viewed a few houses near Gower where they had no broadband and I could not even get a mobile signal.

Mobile and internet - definitely worth checking. Our house is a dead spot for mobile (could be the thickness of the walls) - and you can be in line of sight of a mobile tower round here and not . Mobile broadband is very localised and vendor, even weather, dependent. Giffgaff 3G+ for example follows the A55 and the towns on it - and not much else.

Landline broadband not too bad and getting better. I have 6 meg connection without any problems - and BT have been out and about a lot around here recently upgrading connections. Wales is also aiming for a higher percentage of faster broadband connections that other parts of rural Britain.

Well I`m confused...................

...........despite the fact that land registry and zoopla and rightmove all tell us that VERY little property is actually completing.....

........and those that do are all completing for a lot less than asking price

all our full and final offers have been sneered at :blink:

we are in a position to complete VERY quickly

our chosen property`s are in an area where 26 completions occurred in JULY even less in the preceding 6 months...........

(this is an area with 7 estate agents)

yet in each case our above the going rate offer has been categorically rejected :huh:

so..........................

what happens now?????????????????

do these estate agents not want any actual income coming in??????????????

most offices we have visited have at least 6 staff............

................how on earth are they paying them?????????????????????????

......................more beer is required I think :blink:

A lot of spin and hype and bull IMPO.

trouble is we are in a rush...............

..............purchaser wont`s to complete yesterday............

we are now looking elsewhere - Fleetwood maybe?!?

north wales estate agents.................. feck off if you don`t want some money!

.....................the way I see it - understand the difference between maybe money and immediate money.....

My tuppence

1. rent

Do your research again will property bee, zoopla, etc

2. Find an empty property, then go to Land registry and see if the property has a charge and who holds it. Search through the recent auction sales (if any) for the same charge holder and get the solicitor details. Give them a call (or get your solicitor to) and see if they will deal.

3. Ask each agent first if they actually have any property for sale, then ask for details. You will get thrown out for this, same as I have been.

4. Ask agent for written confirmation of sellers response to your offer. If the property is occupied by owner, try to deal direct with them, again ask if it is actually for sale.

5. Look somewhere else.

6. try option 3 on occupied properties.

As to this "the difference between maybe money and immediate money", it is the same as "potential".

Forebearance and SMI has a lot to answer for.

Agents survive on rental, they all are all crooked and have to maintain a local value or else their LTV would initiate an option call that they could not make.