House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

One In Eight Pensioners Still Has A Mortgage With Average Amount Owed Being Almost £50,000

Sure its wrong for banks to lend to those out of the workforce and no real repayment strategy, but its just as bad for our supposedly wise elders to accrue non-repayable debts.

What is of more concern to a pensioner...

Mortgage and personal debt, or the pain and suffering and associated geriatric/palliative care costs of old age?

I'm sure the common theme prevalent in such cases is "I'll be dead so what does it matter".

If it's still possible to do so, I'm sure a lot of us will do the same exact thing at that age.

System will break before then I reckon.

I would hazard this 1/8 ratio will invert within less than a generation.

So how many of those 'mortgages' are in fact equity release, where the pensioner gets security for life and the lender takes nothing until the pensioner's death?

Oh My God.

Rent and you cant get on with your lives, for some reason.

Get a Mortgage and you cant get on with your lives as your dreams are being shattered.

Just how DO you get on with your life?

Guest eight

I'd never heard of Step Change before last week, but their press releases sure do have the ear of Fleet Street.