House Price Crash Forum

Dragon's Den Star Duncan Bannatyne Sees £430M Health Club Fortune Vanish As Debts Hit £122M

Debt is wealth.

As long as they can keep the plates spinning they can claim to be rich. When the time comes to pay cash to clear the debt there is suddenly a problem.

It is nicer though when it's the local successful flash Harry property developer who catches a cold, Bannatyne does have a proper business that isn't reliant on property bubbles so I'd hope he sorts it out.

He did a good documentary on British-America tobacco and their immoral targeting of African children.

At least he's passionate about the welfare of his kids and was willing to stick his neck out to one of the biggest corporations and purveyors of cancer on the planet.

Debt is wealth.

As long as they can keep the plates spinning they can claim to be rich. When the time comes to pay cash to clear the debt there is suddenly a problem.

It is nicer though when it's the local successful flash Harry property developer who catches a cold, Bannatyne does have a proper business that isn't reliant on property bubbles so I'd hope he sorts it out.

What's wrong with a property developer? Did you mean to say property speculator, or property pimp?

They'll all chancers though.

Has he been bankrupt before? (or am I thinking of someone else).

Keep taking massive bets with the bank's money. Some will win.

a leveraged business that is very vulnerable....

the more you borrow, no matter how "rich" you are, the smaller the fall in business to kill you.

He did a good documentary on British-America tobacco and their immoral targeting of African children.

At least he's passionate about the welfare of his kids and was willing to stick his neck out to one of the biggest corporations and purveyors of cancer on the planet.

You obviously missed the TV article a few years back when he was accused of letting children (under 18 from my fading memory) use his sunbeds at his health centers. The concern was the risk of Cancer from their use. Of course he totally denied that sunbeds or UV light had any link to cancer whatsoever.

full story here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-rights-television-programmes/7139-bbc-watchdog-should-sunbeds-have-age-restriction.html

In this case as in a lot of others the wealth is an illusion....

In the good times his business brought in the punters in the bad belts get tightened and perhaps gym membership is one of the first things to go.

His notional wealth always rested on the illusion that his businesses would do well.

When the tide goes out.....The emperor ..you know the rest.

You obviously missed the TV article a few years back when he was accused of letting children (under 18 from my fading memory) use his sunbeds at his health centers. The concern was the risk of Cancer from their use. Of course he totally denied that sunbeds or UV light had any link to cancer whatsoever.

Haha and there are many more stories illustrating what a lovely guy he is such as like when he banned a cancer survivor from all his gyms, effectively put a hit out on twitter for someone trolling him on Twitter...

Guest eight

How much of his turnover originated somewhere in the housing ponzi though? My guess would be A LOT.

What proper business does he have exactly? Go take a look on companieshouse.gov.uk and search for Bannatyne to see how many 'proper' businesses he has as well as which are actually profitable :rolleyes:

Also don't underestimate how much of his alleged 'wealth' he got from riding the property bubble with his care home business first then rising land values of his health clubs during the boom times.

Once you look behind the curtain via his various company accounts you will see he is one of the biggest charlatan's around and he nearly didn't manage to pay off his ex wife during their divorce due to lack of real cash / wealth hence why he had to sell several of his cars for quick cash (reduced) prices at the time e.g. his Cord 810 Phaeton (also owned by Jimmy Page) for about £40k which was about half of what the buyer sold it at auction for a few weeks later ;)

Edited by GeordieAndy

How much of his turnover originated somewhere in the housing ponzi though? My guess would be A LOT.

Whilst a Company has every right to serve whom they choose, this is just spiteful

He calls her a liar on a public medium in spite of a Court of the Land finding otherwise.

Dispicable.

I had not heard of this incident, but it is this kind of behaviour that twitter users could well have campaigned upon and left Bannantynes in protest....maybe he got his come uppence after all.

Whilst a Company has every right to serve whom they choose, this is just spiteful

He calls her a liar on a public medium in spite of a Court of the Land finding otherwise.

Dispicable.

I had not heard of this incident, but it is this kind of behaviour that twitter users could well have campaigned upon and left Bannantynes in protest....maybe he got his come uppence after all.

I tend to judge people by instinct and ask myself the question, "would I have this bloke to dinner". The answer, in the case of Balantine, is a resounding no!

I know quite a bit about this actual incident, him / his companies and believe me that is just the tip of the iceberg - staff and contractors are believe it or not treated even worse to such an extent that those at Head Office were laughing and quietly cheering when they thought his recent heart attack had finished him off :P

Also no amount of public charity work will offset the negatives he and his cronies have done to others and I like many others can't wait to see him fall off his perch and lose the lot.

Edited by GeordieAndy

full story here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-rights-television-programmes/7139-bbc-watchdog-should-sunbeds-have-age-restriction.html

Well, I don't watch broadcast tele, and only sometimes will pick a documentary off the interwebs.

Agree that he's a twit as are all the usurious charlatan ring masters on that dragon show.

Agree that he's a twit as are all the usurious charlatan ring masters on that dragon show.

Personality aside he always struck me as a bit of a one-trick pony business wise.

Guest eight

Personality aside he always struck me as a bit of a one-trick pony business wise.

I should say I have met the guy and his real persona is exactly the same as his public one ie. awful.

Anybody remember the rather lovely Rachel Elnaugh from series one and two? I believe her business got into difficulty and she was unable to continue with the series.