House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Thin Bacteria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22458428

Mice on a high fat diet - which led them to put on two to three times more fat than normal, lean, mice - were fed the bacteria.

The mice remained bigger than their lean cousins, but had lost around half of their extra weight despite no other changes to their diet.

They also had lower levels of insulin resistance, a key symptom of Type-2 diabetes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22458428

Mice on a high fat diet - which led them to put on two to three times more fat than normal, lean, mice - were fed the bacteria.

The mice remained bigger than their lean cousins, but had lost around half of their extra weight despite no other changes to their diet.

They also had lower levels of insulin resistance, a key symptom of Type-2 diabetes.

Yep, the human microbiome is a little unknown entity and could cure a wide range of ills. Anyone for a faecal transplant?

Yep. Read about this years ago. The vast majority of human gut flora are unknown to science. Some people are fat because their mix of gut flora extract more energy from food than other people's flora. Sometimes it really isn't the fat persons' fault.

Yep. Read about this years ago. The vast majority of human gut flora are unknown to science. Some people are fat because their mix of gut flora extract more energy from food than other people's flora. Sometimes it really isn't the fat persons' fault.

cake.jpg

It's not just about fat or thin, gut flora has a strong effect on mood and personality too:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/science/gut-bacteria-may-influence-our-personalities-study-56415.html

A team of Canadian health researchers at McMaster University, Hamilton investigated the effects of antibiotics on the gut bacteria of mice and any corresponding behaviors, and found that changes in the bacteria affect brain chemistry.

The scientists observed that the mice became less anxious or cautious when dosed with oral antibiotics, with an accompanying increase in brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a chemical associated with depression and anxiety.

The gut bacteria normalized when the antibiotics were stopped. “This was accompanied by restoration of normal behavior and brain chemistry,” said co-author Stephen Collins in a press release.

When bacteria from mice exhibiting active, exploratory behavior were introduced into mice that had been bred for passive behavior, these mice became more daring. Similarly, active mice given bacteria from passive mice became more passive.

:lol:

I saw a programme where they put cameras in the houses of a number of fatties who made the claim that they didn't eat much, and asked them to note down what they ate for a week. Then they compared what they had noted down with what the watching cameras had enabled the programme makers to note down.

The reaction of the fatties when confronted by the comparison between what they thought they'd eaten and what they'd really eaten was very amusing.

If you're fat, you almost certainly deserve to be, with very few exceptions.

It's not just about fat or thin, gut flora has a strong effect on mood and personality too:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/science/gut-bacteria-may-influence-our-personalities-study-56415.html

So we should be saving the sh1t of all the most healthy active daring and brilliant people and shoving it up all our backsides?

If I thought it would make me as good as him I'd take this guys, even though he's Welsh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22154392

So we should be saving the sh1t of all the most healthy active daring and brilliant people and shoving it up all our backsides?

If I thought it would make me as good as him I'd take this guys, even though he's Welsh.

I doubt it's that straightforward (especially because sh1t is probably not the best way to transfer gut bacteria :blink: ) but the conclusion of that study is certainly quite interesting:

The take-home message is that gut bacteria influences anxiety-like behavior through alterations in the way the brain is wired,” she added. “We have a hypothesis in my lab that the state of your immune system and your gut bacteria—which are in constant communication—influences your personality.”

:lol:

I saw a programme where they put cameras in the houses of a number of fatties who made the claim that they didn't eat much, and asked them to note down what they ate for a week. Then they compared what they had noted down with what the watching cameras had enabled the programme makers to note down.

The reaction of the fatties when confronted by the comparison between what they thought they'd eaten and what they'd really eaten was very amusing.

If you're fat, you almost certainly deserve to be, with very few exceptions.

Yes.

On a similar note - of all the countless 'biggest loser' shows around the planet - i have yet to see anyone who has failed to lose a huge amount of weight due to simply eating better and exercising hard.

Maybe they have just got lucky with their choices . . .

Yes.

On a similar note - of all the countless 'biggest loser' shows around the planet - i have yet to see anyone who has failed to lose a huge amount of weight due to simply eating better and exercising hard.

Maybe they have just got lucky with their choices . . .

The "biggest" loser shows select participants for their TV appeal and with obvious lifestyle issues.. I'm not seen anyone diagnosed with any condition that could explain their weight.

I put weight on after dieting and exercising so I have an interest in news like this. It was after a year on antibiotics for a stubborn infection that my weight problems started so I keep an open mind on causes.

Have a friend who runs marathons who also developed a weight problem after AB use. She had a virus, developed infections then steadily put on weight after that. No amount of exercise or diet control makes enough difference to get her out of the obese category now.

More recently I picked up one of the AB almost resistant bugs in hospital and was very sick between 2007-2010 roughly. Huge amount of different drugs. Even though I was malnourished (and blood tests showed this) I didn't lose any weight.

Far enough, it may only be a subgroup but I'd like to see more research. I've got a neurological disease so who knows about a link. My heart also doesn't work very well and I'm having more tests for that. It will be increasing to see how much of this weight is edema and what else is happening.

Been a long time like that now and the NHS refused to investigate until the sickness bug and they stopped accusing me of lying.

I am sure there are rare cases - however for the vast majority they are just excuses.

People take antibiotics all the time. Why does this result in some people getting obese - but nearly everyone else having no such side effects ?

Is there any actual evidence or research to support this ?

Not having a go - just interested.

From my experiences with getting lean for running, it's better to eat smaller meals but more often and not consume the high calorie snacks and treats, although i'd still eat some treats/chocolate as I was running/cycling a lot.

If i'm exercising loads i'll eat loads of spuds, as long as you don't add fat to them they're a great fuel for your body.

keeping yourself interested in things / not getting bored is a big factor in not wanting to snack/comfort eat.

My weight yo-yo's a lot although not a lot of people notice it, and people often think i'm lighter than I look.

No evidence at all CCC, the research just hasn't been done.

When I do see something interesting I find the actual medical papers and read them. Then I think about my situation and those of other people I know and formulate theories and ideas which I test with any further evidence I can. Very little around. This research on bacteria is new but I've been in touch with people offering treatment and those who have had (failures and all).

Been following as much research as I can and also emailing researchers who have interesting ideas.

No idea if this is feasible or likely. It's too soon to know. Even if it helped 1 in 100 obese people (who didn't lose weight by diet and exercise) then it would be of help. We need proper research on reasonable population of people.

The "biggest" loser shows select participants for their TV appeal and with obvious lifestyle issues.. I'm not seen anyone diagnosed with any condition that could explain their weight.

I put weight on after dieting and exercising so I have an interest in news like this. It was after a year on antibiotics for a stubborn infection that my weight problems started so I keep an open mind on causes.

Have a friend who runs marathons who also developed a weight problem after AB use. She had a virus, developed infections then steadily put on weight after that. No amount of exercise or diet control makes enough difference to get her out of the obese category now.

More recently I picked up one of the AB almost resistant bugs in hospital and was very sick between 2007-2010 roughly. Huge amount of different drugs. Even though I was malnourished (and blood tests showed this) I didn't lose any weight.

Far enough, it may only be a subgroup but I'd like to see more research. I've got a neurological disease so who knows about a link. My heart also doesn't work very well and I'm having more tests for that. It will be increasing to see how much of this weight is edema and what else is happening.

Been a long time like that now and the NHS refused to investigate until the sickness bug and they stopped accusing me of lying.

I'm no doctor Flopsy but it sounds as though you might be a bit of a special case. The majority of people who get fat are in good health before they do so and are just lazy and eat too much.

That said, I have no doubt that our intestinal flora have an effect on us and that people with medical conditions that conventional medicine isn't doing very well with should consider doing all they can to improve their "inner jungle".

I'm no doctor Flopsy but it sounds as though you might be a bit of a special case. The majority of people who get fat are in good health before they do so and are just lazy and eat too much.

That said, I have no doubt that our intestinal flora have an effect on us and that people with medical conditions that conventional medicine isn't doing very well with should consider doing all they can to improve their "inner jungle".

When I am lazy and don't make time to exercise, and combine that with bad diet, I put on up to two stone. when I eat healthily, and exercise, I lose it.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/roundup-quick-death-for-weeds-slow-and-painful-death-for-you/

What has been completely overlooked until now is that the shikimate pathway is present in beneficial gut bacteria, which play a critical role in human health. Gut bacteria aid digestion, prevent permeability of the gastointestinal tract, synthesize vitamins and provide the foundation for robust immunity.

Glyphosate Disrupts the Functioning of Beneficial Gut Bacteria

In synergy with disruption of the biosynthesis of important amino acids via the shikimate pathway, glyphosate inhibits the cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes produced by the gut microbiome. CYP enzymes are critical to human biology because they detoxify the multitude of foreign chemical compounds, xenobiotics, that we are exposed to in our modern environment today

“The take-home message is that gut bacteria influences anxiety-like behavior through alterations in the way the brain is wired,” she added. “We have a hypothesis in my lab that the state of your immune system and your gut bacteria—which are in constant communication—influences your personality.”

They used to call it the humours: the blood, yellow bile, black bile and phlegm, and their associated moods of sanguine, choleric, melancholic and phlegmatic.

This all ties in with the appendix not being useless and vestigial after all.

Shame I killed mine with pizza and beer in 2001 :(

When I am lazy and don't make time to exercise, and combine that with bad diet, I put on up to two stone. when I eat healthily, and exercise, I lose it.

snap

I doubt it's that straightforward (especially because sh1t is probably not the best way to transfer gut bacteria :blink: ) but the conclusion of that study is certainly quite interesting:

I think what you eat has a big effect on what your gut bacteria is like.

Eat lots of whole natural organic foods, especially live fermented stuff (yoghurt, saurkraut, blue cheese, that kind of thing) and you will tend towards a very different gut bacteria profile than if you eat lots of industrial pizza, crisps, sweet fizzy drinks and candy bars.