House Price Crash Forum
Didsbury84

Ea Asking If You Can Afford It

Couldn't quite believe it when I rang an EA earlier asking for info on a property and the call was effectively screened first.

"Can you afford it," he asked? "Your file says you're looking at properties around 20K less..."

Is it any of his business? Surely, the proof of that will be when I put an offer in.

Turns out the property in question is on at £65k more than it went for in 2010 (when it was sold at a considerable loss, so the seller clear knows a thing or two about offering under the asking price).

Couldn't quite believe it when I rang an EA earlier asking for info on a property and the call was effectively screened first.

"Can you afford it," he asked? "Your file says you're looking at properties around 20K less..."

Is it any of his business? Surely, the proof of that will be when I put an offer in.

Turns out the property in question is on at £65k more than it went for in 2010 (when it was sold at a considerable loss, so the seller clear knows a thing or two about offering under the asking price).

They can query your ability to proceed, surely?

Trying to winkle out your maximum budget?

That's the inference I got. Can't blame him for trying, though if he was any good at his job he'd have worked out a better way of getting the information.

What was your answer?

Much as Stop The Ride suggests. I said the issue was whether or not I can afford the amount I would be willing to offer, which I can as I have finance in place.

Estate Agents seem to be playing every trick in the book to keep prices inflated and stoke up interest at the moment.

I can't blame them, it's their livelihood, I just wonder how successful they'll be.

Recently, I turned up to view a two bed flat to find seven other people there. I wasn't told it would be a group viewing, so I walked straight back out.

You can (and damn well should!) blame them: they could have a far better livelihood with loads of transactions at lower prices instead of a tiny number of transactions at their fantasy prices.

Wasn't the Express Estate Agency was it? They seem to be the clearance centre of estate agencies, stack 'em high and shift 'em quick!

You can (and damn well should!) blame them: they could have a far better livelihood with loads of transactions at lower prices instead of a tiny number of transactions at their fantasy prices.

The problem is that it's also their livelihood to prod vendors' greed with high valuations to get the business over rivals.