House Price Crash Forum
mikthe20

Help To Buy On Bbc1 Sunday Politics

Jeez, wish I hadn't started this thread - two vacuous Tory and Labour idiots with fundamentally the same policies but just having a go at eachother.

Tory=Labour=hell in a handcart

I half-listened to it in the background but think it turned into something about social housing and missed the main points - but as I say, I was only half listening. I was watching Angie Dickinson in 'Pretty Maids in a Row' where she, as the teacher, seduces one of her pupils. One for Operation Yewtree methinks. Pretty amazing 'nothing' dress she has on in the bathroom scene.

I gave up with these fake political debates from the Westminster Palace Theatre.

There used to be a time when at least one of the terrestrial channels ran a good sci fi show or film opposite the Sunday political bore shows... or re-runs of Batman... but the politicos did not like the fact that 40 year old re-runs of Thunderbirds or Lost in Space got higher viewing figures that boring conversations with six-figured salaried journos and MPs.

The fact that the opposition fails to come out with the fact house prices should be allowed to fall to levels people can afford rather than subsidised to keep prices high says it all. Surely the two main parties must be running out of idiots to vote for them.

I half-listened to it in the background but think it turned into something about social housing and missed the main points - but as I say, I was only half listening. I was watching Angie Dickinson in 'Pretty Maids in a Row' where she, as the teacher, seduces one of her pupils. One for Operation Yewtree methinks. Pretty amazing 'nothing' dress she has on in the bathroom scene.

Oh, this film ? :)

50537_snapshot20101018184704_122_348lo.jpg

There used to be a time when at least one of the terrestrial channels ran a good sci fi show or film opposite the Sunday political bore shows... or re-runs of Batman... but the politicos did not like the fact that 40 year old re-runs of Thunderbirds or Lost in Space got higher viewing figures that boring conversations with six-figured salaried journos and MPs.

I think if you search Youtube or similar you will find proper political debates such as "Weekend World" where Brian Walden or Matthew Parris subjected politicians to hour long examinations, which got a lot further than "hard working families" and "the right thing to do" catch phrases.

Nice to see you, to see you, nice.

If I want catch phrases I'll watch Bruce Forsyth. rolleyes.gif

I think if you search Youtube or similar you will find proper political debates such as "Weekend World" where Brian Walden or Matthew Parris subjected politicians to hour long examinations, which got a lot further than "hard working families" and "the right thing to do" catch phrases.

Nice to see you, to see you, nice.

If I want catch phrases I'll watch Bruce Forsyth. rolleyes.gif

"Weekend World"? How long ago is that now - 1980s?

Edit:

Hardly anyone used to watch that either IIRC. It may have been harder questioning for politicians but it was basically 60 minutes of talking heads.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

"Weekend World"? How long ago is that now - 1980s?

Edit:

Hardly anyone used to watch that either IIRC. It may have been harder questioning for politicians but it was basically 60 minutes of talking heads.

Hardly anyone watches Daily/Sunday Politics. I don't want to watch them, hear them or vote for them.

It ought to be renamed "Talking crap on any subject for Sixty Minutes."

The point is compare the political debates of 20/30 years ago with todays to see how much its been dumbed down.

Good point - if Thunderbirds had been on I've definitely been watching it - more animated than these bloody politicos.

Jeez, wish I hadn't started this thread - two vacuous Tory and Labour idiots with fundamentally the same policies but just having a go at eachother.

Tory=Labour=hell in a handcart

Yep. Like the 2010 student funding 'debate', more 'top up fee's' from the tories, or a 'graduate tax' from Labour. Both payable when your income reaches a certain level.

But there is of course a world of difference between the policies, they have different names after all.

Yep. Like the 2010 student funding 'debate', more 'top up fee's' from the tories, or a 'graduate tax' from Labour. Both payable when your income reaches a certain level.

But there is of course a world of difference between the policies, they have different names after all.

+1

Yep. Democracy in Britain means 'voting for the same but under a different name'.

Good point - if Thunderbirds had been on I've definitely been watching it - more animated than these bloody politicos.

I couldn't resist.

At least the Thunderbirds never made much of a pretence that the characters weren't under the control of puppet masters behind the scenes.