House Price Crash Forum
happy_renting

Eu Students Not Paying Their Fees In The Uk

From the Independentwebsite:

Private investigators have been called in to track down hundreds of overseas graduates from UK universities who have gone missing owing millions of pounds in loans bankrolled by the British taxpayer.

The Student Loans Company (SLC) has been forced to take dramatic measures to claw back its money after the amount owed by European Union graduates who are not repaying their tuition-fee loans rose to more than £50m in five years.

Hundreds of EU nationals who have returned home and reached the income threshold at which they should be paying back their loans have slipped into arrears. Many have failed to provide any salary details, so that officials cannot even start the process of reclaiming their debts.

But many more, who are responsible for loans totalling £41m, have not revealed crucial information about where they are living, whether they are working, or how much they are earning.

From the BBC statist pro-EU website:

Nothing

Who could ever have predicted that when students live in other countries they omit to let some UK government agency/company in Glasgow know how to collect money of them?

Still, when they start trying to collect the new tripled fees, the graduates who move abroad are bound to feel a stronger obligation to pay money for the rest of their lives so things will be fine then

Y

Multilingual private investigators? For 10-20k debts?

Once traced, costing 20k, they'd probably be earning under the threshold anyway or would just quit and move somewhere else.

If you'd gone to Germany to get a degree and owe money there, would you be in a hurry to repay it?

Just a headline for the voters to make it look like they are doing something against the wicked foreigners when in reality they can

do sweet FA until they quit the EU.

I thought EU law says they have to get education at local prices. Not that they get the loans too. Why they are not made to pay up front defeats me.

Because decisions about such are made by the public sector, whilst the actual funding for it ultimately comes from the private sector Magic Money Tree.

In my university, EU students are treated like UK students - i.e. they don't count for anything as the nominal 9k does not cover the cost, and there is the uncertainty over the payback.

All the effort is going into recruiting international students with fees upfront.

Unfortunately, with the rhetoric over immigration, the best students are going to the US instead.

nice anecdotal: Senior Tutor for Admissions (responsible for intake of 5000 students a year) has just 'told' me that I have to take a student from Dubai with no proof of qualifications/attainment.

Me: 'this is a dodgy student'

Him: 'we need him, give him an unconditional offer'.

In my university, EU students are treated like UK students - i.e. they don't count for anything as the nominal 9k does not cover the cost, and there is the uncertainty over the payback.

All the effort is going into recruiting international students with fees upfront.

Unfortunately, with the rhetoric over immigration, the best students are going to the US instead.

nice anecdotal: Senior Tutor for Admissions (responsible for intake of 5000 students a year) has just 'told' me that I have to take a student from Dubai with no proof of qualifications/attainment.

I think that is a good thing, if they pay the true cost, upfront. Universities benefit from the economies of scale, so it in effect subsidises UK students, as well as being good for the UK's international relationships in general.

However, admitting any student with below-par ability does nothing postive for the academic and intellectual environment of any Uni.

Please, please assure me that this Dubai student will be awarded a final qualification purely on his academic performance, and not any other 'need'.

Takes you right back to the roots of universities, before they started admitting those pesky scholarship boys (let alone the big expansions of the 19th and 20th centuries, and such radical ideas as girls).

Or to the regular stuff of comedy through the ages ;)

I think that is a good thing, if they pay the true cost, upfront. Universities benefit from the economies of scale, so it in effect subsidises UK students, as well as being good for the UK's international relationships in general.

However, admitting any student with below-par ability does nothing postive for the academic and intellectual environment of any Uni.

Please, please assure me that this Dubai student will be awarded a final qualification purely on his academic performance, and not any other 'need'.

I am quite relaxed about this, as in my long experience, these types (ability, not origin) tend to drop out when they realise they have to a) work, and B) there is not 'negotiation' possible with the instructors.

And the latter applies in particular to privately educated UK students who think they can continue getting a 'nod and a wink' when they can barely write. :lol:

Takes you right back to the roots of universities, before they started admitting those pesky scholarship boys (let alone the big expansions of the 19th and 20th centuries, and such radical ideas as girls).

Or to the regular stuff of comedy through the ages ;)

that's one possible future of the UK Higher Education sector:

'We don't care who you are as long as you can pay'.

that's one possible future of the UK Higher Education sector:

'We don't care who you are as long as you can pay'.

It's never completely gone away. Look at our royal family. Or Cambridge's "Land Economy" degree.

Well, if you still consider that sufficiently unusual to comment on then that's probably fine :-) As long as money buys just places (and not degrees), I don't see that much of a problem with it. People smart enough to be worth educating have a large number of decent places to choose from, so it's not like you are damaging whoever would have otherwise got the place for life.

If I wanted to have a really good argument about fees, I'd point out that EU students in Scotland don't pay them whereas English students do. Only then would I worry about minor imperfections of the system, such as that EU students won't bother repaying money they only owe according to the law of some foreign country.

If a student from a low average income EU country does a UK degree on loans, can he or she go back home and pay nothing back until they are earning over the £21,000 pa repayment threshold?

In some countries possibly only the Prime Minister trousers that sort of dough...

The average wage in Bulgaria is $550 a month...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Bulgaria

The average wage in Roumania is $608 a month (2012)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Romania

Edited by juvenal

I am quite relaxed about this, as in my long experience, these types (ability, not origin) tend to drop out when they realise they have to a) work, and B) there is not 'negotiation' possible with the instructors.

And the latter applies in particular to privately educated UK students who think they can continue getting a 'nod and a wink' when they can barely write. :lol:

I guess it depends on whose buck they are living.

If its daddies money, then fine, but given how easy it is for international students to set up bank accounts and credit cards with all the banks who want in on the student market (at least thats how it was 7 or 8 years ago when i was at uni, they were virtually chasing internationals) surely a lot just load up on debt, and run back to Saudi when the debts come due, leaving the uk taxpayer the bill. Its not like our govt is ever actually going to chase someone to saudi, or allow a private company to do so. It might upset the royals.

Given it took them 4 years to track down this chap who was on a 'most wanted list so I won't hold my breath for the UK to be chasing overseas students for £21k.

lol wait until the UK graduates move abroad en masse to do the same.

lol?

I don't think a one way ticket is a good option for a young person, especially if the SHTF, or you need to renew your visa.

If you are talking the EU or commonwealth, it's very easy to find you and they are supposedly in the works to nail delinquents within the euro zone.

Also consider that it's likely the school won't recognise your time or release transcripts until the debt is repaid.

If you are a professional you could lose your institutional membership.

Blagging your way through life is of course a British centrepiece.

Perhaps pursuing SLC delinquents is a good little industry eh?

Imagine what it will be like when the gov't sells off the loan books to private interests. Trouble.

Also consider that it's likely the school won't recognise your time or release transcripts until the debt is repaid.

There is no obligation to even start paying the debt if you don't earn enough, never mind to pay it off.