House Price Crash Forum
otters

I'm Getting Mean

A couple of days ago I received a letter from Nationwide telling me they are dropping the paltry interest rate on one of my accounts, from 2 to 1.7%.

This is on top of a letter from NS&I telling me my rolled over index link bond will now only be paying 0.15 over RPI.

My response, I went online and cancelled all my charity subscriptions. Not a vast amount, somewhere in the region of £400 pa.

A couple of days ago I received a letter from Nationwide telling me they are dropping the paltry interest rate on one of my accounts, from 2 to 1.7%.

This is on top of a letter from NS&I telling me my rolled over index link bond will now only be paying 0.15 over RPI.

My response, I went online and cancelled all my charity subscriptions. Not a vast amount, somewhere in the region of £400 pa.

And with reference to the deflation thread maybe zirp has unintended consequences Japanese style.....as savers get mean and debtors don't make up the demand slack. and pay down debt.

Edited by crashmonitor

Good idea. After 4 years the pain is worse than ever. Share it.

Someone pranged my wing mirror yesterday.

So i punched a homeless guy in the face.

Like that rubbish film Pay It Forward or something.. .

Edited by gadget

did you read the charity's account? It is possible that this is something you would want to do long ago anyway..

did you read the charity's account? It is possible that this is something you would want to do long ago anyway..

That's unfair. Charities have to pay the going rate for self-righteous employees and they're all 'worth it'.

Can't say I blame the OP - particularly if as easy2012 suggests he were to examine a charities' accounts before donating............. depressing to see that in some charities the bulk of the money goes in admin fees and wages (If you want to depress yourself try reading the wages/benefits offered in Guardian's so called 'charity' jobs section)

Personally when the interest rates went negative (in real terms ie below inflation) I stopped donating to charity. And don't intend to donate a penny - I do occasionally buy books/dvd's from charity shops but that's to save me money - the benefit to the charity is only incidental. So sod 'em

I also changed my shopping habits pronto; I am on the Lidl & Aldi weekly email and I shop with one or both of them in addition to a supermarket run.

The rise of Lidl/Aldi/Poundland/Wilkinsons etc in such a difficult economic climate reflects the new reality, namely that many of us who would have laughed at the thought of going to any of the shops I listed are their greatest champions. The authorities just don't seem to realise that the low interest rate/property price manipulation policies are having a permanent change on the buying trends of what the media like to call the squeezed middle.

We have a garden & I grow a reasonable proportion of our food, living in the country I have a few friendly farmers who are happy for my assistance in cutting down trees - paid for in firewood

In public I am quite happy to admit to being mean but secretly I like to regard myself as a conscientious consumer!

Good - charities are all fraud anyway - they make sure to pay themselves well above the average wage, plus pension contributions and expenses, and the large ones like the NSPCC and Cafod don't spend a penny doing good works until half the money is swallowed up on themselves. They're just businesses.

That's unfair. Charities have to pay the going rate for self-righteous employees and they're all 'worth it'.

Yes. £150,000 a year because "I care" - embezzled straight out of the charitable donations.

I wonder how mych of that £400 pa you were giving to charity actually got through to actually helping the cause........ so much of it is swallowed up by 'admin' 'wages' and 'expenses' one of my ex's worked for a charity and although she was only in a secretary position I couldnt believe some of the stories that she used to tell me about money being completely wasted.

The people that run big charities always have plenty of money ;)

The people that run big charities always have plenty of money ;)

So give to small charities instead.

The miserly attitude on here grates after a while.

I've taken the opposite attitude recently. No point saving so I'm splashing out more. Recently got a new telly for the bedroom and a new bed to watch it from...

Good - charities are all fraud anyway - they make sure to pay themselves well above the average wage, plus pension contributions and expenses, and the large ones like the NSPCC and Cafod don't spend a penny doing good works until half the money is swallowed up on themselves. They're just businesses.

NSPCC is a particularly bad one. I should know, MiL used to work for them.

Also Sightsavers....

Guest eight

NSPCC is a particularly bad one. I should know, MiL used to work for them.

The NSPCC crack me up. I'm supposed to give them £2 a month to help stop child abuse? What are they going to do - pay people to lay off their kids?

As I don't personally abuse children I feel like I've already done my bit for the cause.

The NSPCC crack me up. I'm supposed to give them £2 a month to help stop child abuse? What are they going to do - pay people to lay off their kids?

As I don't personally abuse children I feel like I've already done my bit for the cause.

I won't give too much detail, but at a very reputable charity I know, they pay two women 35,000 each to open envelopes all day. It takes them a couple of hours doing it slowly.

They also have a 5star jolly each year that costs about 5k per head.

This subject has hit a nerve.

Why do we have child poverty?

The government seems to have money to waste on things we don't want, yet it tries to make us feel responsible for children of feckless parents.

One of my regular donations was to Doctor Barnado's, I gave that up a few months ago when I heard they tried to fire a member of staff for being a UKIP member.

If you're feeling mean then just go out and buy a house. It'll change the way you feel.

You'll stop caring about the price of houses and you'll be happier.

I actually increased my charitable payments since I bought a house. In general less bothered about money.

Someone pranged my wing mirror yesterday.

So i punched a homeless guy in the face.

Like that rubbish film Pay It Forward or something.. .

That was me!

Not to worry. I got a job as CEO of a building society and lowered the saving rates.

If you're feeling mean then just go out and buy a house. It'll change the way you feel.

You'll stop caring about the price of houses and you'll be happier.

I actually increased my charitable payments since I bought a house. In general less bothered about money.

I'm happy now, but it would certainly change the way I feel if I were to spend £400K(ish) on a house and find out it's only worth £200K in five years time. That would make me really bothered about money.

I worked in an NSPCC office about 10 years ago while a student, just temping for a couple of week. Nice office with lots of space, all brand new equipment and lots of chatter in the office about how much they all earnt for what I could tell was a part time jobs with full time hours. I had to answer the phone 2 or 3 times a day and open the post (it's amazing how much money they get given by businesses!), easiest temp job I ever did!

I'm happy now, but it would certainly change the way I feel if I were to spend £400K(ish) on a house and find out it's only worth £200K in five years time. That would make me really bothered about money.

Why? The house won't change. The glass will still be half full. Most people will still be able to concentrate on pulling in a decent wage instead of worrying about house prices.

My advice to anyone would be to make sure you're wages will go up. This will make far more difference in your lifetime than house prices.

Why? The house won't change. The glass will still be half full. Most people will still be able to concentrate on pulling in a decent wage instead of worrying about house prices.

My advice to anyone would be to make sure you're wages will go up. This will make far more difference in your lifetime than house prices.

If I wait a few years I'll have the same house and an extra £200K pocket money.

Wage inflation? I think not, for a good few years.

You seem a lot more worried about house prices since you bought one last year :rolleyes:.

Difficult to do as a minion. A better way to put it, which I concur with and especially now that almost all asset classes appear overvalued, is to "invest in yourself" - education, your own business, plastic surgery to nab a rich spouse, whatever...

Edited by mikthe20

Why not work a little less and donate the extra time instead of giving cash to charity?

Give a hand to those around you. It's what people did before our modern society outsourced good deeds to multinational charities who could target the "right" people more "efficiently".

If I wait a few years I'll have the same house and an extra £200K pocket money.

Wage inflation? I think not, for a good few years.

You seem a lot more worried about house prices since you bought one last year :rolleyes:.

Quite the opposite in fact. No matter what happens to house prices I'll be just fine. And wage inflation has been extremely high for me over the past few years.

Diversify so that you'll be fine whatever happens but more importantly get trained and educated if you're of working age. As someone else just said, "invest in yourself".