House Price Crash Forum

London In 1927

HOLA441

http://vimeo.com/7638752?

Incredible colour footage of 1920s London shot by an early British pioneer of film named Claude Frisse-Greene, who made a series of travelogues using the colour process his father William - a noted cinematographer - was experimenting with. It's like a beautifully dusty old postcard you'd find in a junk store, but moving.

Music by Jonquil and Yann Tiersen.

Interesting stuff.

All those working class folk wouldn't live anywhere near the neighbourhoods in the film now.

Shows you the 'progress'.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Not spent much time in London then?

Agreed. One of the TV Holmes' once remarked, "Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson".

Petticoat Lane hasn't gentrified that much (yet). Plenty of dirt poor areas nearby still.

I was struck by how little these parts of London had changed. All very recognisable - especially considering the Blitz. Also strangely moving to think that almost no-one in that film is likely still alive - perhaps the young "Wendy" only. We walk in the footsteps of thousands, if not millions, of people - just like us - who are now largely forgotten ghosts. Once their lives were as important to them as ours are to us.

HOLA444

Agreed. One of the TV Holmes' once remarked, "Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson".

Petticoat Lane hasn't gentrified that much (yet). Plenty of dirt poor areas nearby still.

I was struck by how little these parts of London had changed. All very recognisable - especially considering the Blitz. Also strangely moving to think that almost no-one in that film is likely still alive - perhaps the young "Wendy" only. We walk in the footsteps of thousands, if not millions, of people - just like us - who are now largely forgotten ghosts. Once their lives were as important to them as ours are to us.

and in another 86 years you, I and another 7 billion useless-eaters will all be worm food too, with barely a trace left behind.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The fascists won the war, after all, eh?

The war changed the face of London in many ways....many forced to evacuate....constant blitz and bombing, rationing, families split, men sent away to fight......people pulled together to overcome. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The General Strike was only a year earlier - when Churchill was reported to suggest using machine guns on the strikers. Seems unthinkable now - but those in power were worried about the UK doing a Russia.

To this day, I think our monarchy worries about that.

Remember the student riots a couple of years back, when protesters stopped Charles and Camilla in their Rolls and poked Camilla with a stick? They must have been absolutely bricking themselves.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

To this day, I think our monarchy worries about that.

Remember the student riots a couple of years back, when protesters stopped Charles and Camilla in their Rolls and poked Camilla with a stick? They must have been absolutely bricking themselves.

They should worry. Frankly we should have had our revolution a long time ago. The aristocracy is hoarding the land in this country. It needs to change.

HOLA4414

We walk in the footsteps of thousands, if not millions, of people - just like us - who are now largely forgotten ghosts.

In the great scheme of things, we occupy a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the universe space and time. The Earth is 4.5bn years old, and the universe is 13.7bn years old. The human race, that evolved from the chimps, 7m years ago........

Live life now.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I've been on here too long. I posted this video in this very forum several years back. There is a long thread about it somewhere.

Worth seeing again though.

i remember that. i had to recheck the date.

and i swear the same people are replying in this thread with exactly what they posted in the last one.

it's like "Waiting for Godot" here sometimes.

HOLA4419

and i swear the same people are replying in this thread with exactly what they posted in the last one.

well here is a new comment for you- the Policeman walking towards the camera at the end looks a lot like my grandpa, and he was in the Met between 1925-1945. He served out of the section houses in that area, from what I understand. I've sent the link to an old aunt to see if she thinks it is him........

HOLA4420

The war changed the face of London in many ways....many forced to evacuate....constant blitz and bombing, rationing, families split, men sent away to fight......people pulled together to overcome. ;)

And if you dip the rose tinted specs, they also indulged in a colossal crime wave. Looting bombed houses, robbing the dead, black marketeering was rife.... The government was so worried by the rise in criminality during WWII that they suppressed the data. Stampedes in air raid shelters were also covered up etc. Its amazing how we are a nation in thrall to our own propaganda from a war that ended almost seventy years ago.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

http://vimeo.com/7638752?

Interesting stuff.

All those working class folk wouldn't live anywhere near the neighbourhoods in the film now.

Shows you the 'progress'.

Thought I recognised the pub in the very first frame it's the Pommelers Rest, Tower Bridge, Southwark now a Wetherspoons.......if you google it you will see it is little changed (couldn't get the link to work). One of my watering holes when I am in London. Spooky seeing dead people walking past a familiar spot.

HOLA4423

Thirded. And in these videos there's always someone who says the "creepiest thing is everyone in that film is now dead".

I enjoyed it second time round though, proper colour, not colorized (think I said that last time too).

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Could not help notice how clean the roads and pavements were. Not one bit of litter showing in the whole film.....

Very nice clip... thanks

Many of the buildings are black from air pollution though. Nelson's column looks like it was built out of coal.

Inspired to get myself a proper nice titfer after watching that clip...

Archived