House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motch

Driver Tried To Block Me Overtaking

OK driving along the road, a few cars in front of me poodle-ling along. Get into a national speed limit road, the car in front of me sitting best part of a 100metres behind the next couple of cars in front of him. I drop the gears and floor my car to get past safely (up to the other 2 cars about 100m's in front) the car I pass floors it making it difficult for me to get past and behind the other 2 cars. He then flashes me and sits about 2 foot behind my bumper.

On the next available straight bit of road I floor it past the other 2 cars safely. This guy who was 2 foot from my bumper didn't follow even though he could of easily if he wanted to.

So why did he do it?

OK driving along the road, a few cars in front of me poodle-ling along. Get into a national speed limit road, the car in front of me sitting best part of a 100metres behind the next couple of cars in front of him. I drop the gears and floor my car to get past safely (up to the other 2 cars about 100m's in front) the car I pass floors it making it difficult for me to get past and behind the other 2 cars. He then flashes me and sits about 2 foot behind my bumper.

On the next available straight bit of road I floor it past the other 2 cars safely. This guy who was 2 foot from my bumper didn't follow even though he could of easily if he wanted to.

So why did he do it?

He was obviously pissed at you and wanted to let you know. Some peoples view of a safe distance between cars differs. He may have been satisfied with the distance he was holding before you slipped past and shortened the safe distance.

He then goes into hyper pissed mode and does some extreme tailgating...

Just a bit of road rage really.

He may not have followed as his burst of anger may have just lasted a few moments and he calmed down. Quite often the most aggressive reactive drivers are far from that in real life (outside a car)... When he was calm he probably realised that he did not want to persue an issue that could end up in a collision or both of you stopping for a straightner.

He then maybe thought that he made his point and it was better to now keep the barrier of another car/s between you so he chose not to overtake.

He did achieve in getting a reaction from you.....

Presumably because he felt you were being a ****, invading his safe distance, and in his own way trying to gently explain to you that it is better to have a comfortable safe braking gap ahead of you, even if it does mean traveling at the same speed as the car in front.

- heh - beat me to it Bosh.

Presumably because he felt you were being a ****, invading his safe distance, and in his own way trying to gently explain to you that it is better to have a comfortable safe braking gap ahead of you, even if it does mean traveling at the same speed as the car in front.

You just tried to overtake me :lol: u complete #'#'/ Flash Flash Flash

You insulted his manhood by overtaking him. So many idiots about.

I notice it frequently when using cruise control on the MM. Move out to overtake, suddenly car to my left is matching my speed until we're nose to nose, then starts gaining and I have to drop back.

Some people see being overtaken as them 'losing the race' or some such nonsense. It's irritating, but just one of those quirks that the highway code doesn't really have much to say on the matter!

I notice it frequently when using cruise control on the MM. Move out to overtake, suddenly car to my left is matching my speed until we're nose to nose, then starts gaining and I have to drop back.

Some people see being overtaken as them 'losing the race' or some such nonsense. It's irritating, but just one of those quirks that the highway code doesn't really have much to say on the matter!

I haven't read the highway code for years but it used to say that one should leave sufficient room for overtaking vehicles to pull in safely.

Before I retired I drove powerful cars, mostly because when you've got three or four hundred horsepower under your right foot it makes little difference what small minded individuals try to do, you touch the throttle and you're by. These days I have less than two hundred horsepower and have to think twice before overtaking.

I haven't read the highway code for years but it used to say that one should leave sufficient room for overtaking vehicles to pull in safely.

Before I retired I drove powerful cars, mostly because when you've got three or four hundred horsepower under your right foot it makes little difference what small minded individuals try to do, you touch the throttle and you're by. These days I have less than two hundred horsepower and have to think twice before overtaking.

Snap. I have loads of power that only gets called upon in this sort of situation. Foot down, gone, idiot left behind.

Yeah, it's just muppetry. Some people have an irrational hatred of being overtaken, even if they're not in any kind of hurry themselves. I've had it a few times, most recently a few months ago. I work shifts, and my commute is 6 miles along the South Circular. I was due to start work at 4.20am. I know from experience that even the South Circular is always quiet at that time of day, and I really really hate getting up early so I'm prone to stealing a few extra minutes in bed and only giving myself 15 minutes to do those 6 miles. It was all going fine until I came up against a rigid lorry with the logo of a national supermarket on it doing a resolute 27mph up the road. We missed a traffic light as a result, and I was queued for a minute behind him. Once the light went green I could see that the oncoming road was clear right the way up until the corner 400 yards ahead, so I stayed in second, and as soon as we were clear of the lights I floored it in second gear and squirted straight past, performing a clean overtake. I have a 200bhp 3 litre car, so I must have been doing 40mph to this truck's maximum of 25 by the time I even cleared his nose, let alone before I pulled back in with a still entirely clear road in front of me. Cue a massive headlight flashing shit-fit from the truck driver!

I thought nothing of it and carried on up the next half a mile at an (entirely safe at 4.10am) 40mph. But I must have been unlucky at the next set of lights, because I was sat there for 90 seconds, which allowed the truck to catch up- at which point I got a load more light flashing etc.! TBH, I was pretty tempted to just stop the car and block him there, get out and ask "something wrong with my car mate?!". I really don't get that- the driver's getting a wage to drive his 15t truck about at whatever speed he feels safe at, someone overtakes him completely safely albeit at slightly above the speed limit, and he loses his rag?! I was a bus driver for 20 months, and even when driving an empty bus I never exceeded the speed limit apart from on the very rare occasions that I wanted to, I knew it would be completely safe to, and I knew I'd get away with it. When I was running my bus back to the garage on the A23 at 2am after a late shift, I'd sit there at 30mph, and car drivers would rag round me. As long as they didn't cut me up, I couldn't have cared less.

If I'm in a hurry and I want to make progress, I'll overtake if I consider it completely safe to do so, and if I don't think it's safe I'll sit there and be slightly annoyed by the slow driver in front of me. I've been overtaken in that situation by drivers who have faster cars than me (thus better able to perform the overtake), or with less regard for the safety of themselves and oncoming traffic. It has never once occurred to me to speed up and make their overtake even more dangerous! :o

I can answer that in four words:

Because he's a w*nker.

Sadly, there seems to be ever increasing numbers of them on the roads and elsewhere.

Wonkers exist! The AUDI used to be a polite car for dentists, but now it isn't! :huh:

sits about 2 foot behind my bumper.

Quick flash of the rear fog lights gives the impression of your brakes going on. He brakes, sees you serenely continuing up the road, and so drives angrily right up behind you again.

That's when you stamp on your brakes as hard as you can and when he shunts you, wind the window down and shout "Ker-ching!!!" at the top of your voice before deciding where to go on holiday to spend your compo.

That's quite a normal reaction on a motorway, its more akin to keeping in step with someone walking alongside you rather than trying to stop you overtaking. I find it more noticeable whenever I have the cruise control set, I usually press the accelerator when I'm passing to get past more quickly, they soon drop back and I then reduce my speed to whatever the cruise control is set to.

What is 'cruise control' anyway? is it anything like the brick I place on the accelerator of my Rover 45 when I am having forty winks at the wheel in the middle lane of the motorway?

Was he a BMW driver?

Couldn't be. A BMW driver would never have left a safe distance in the first place.

What always impresses me when in Spain is that drivers slow down and pull over to the side to let people overtake.

It really annoys me when people drive slowly and don't realise that everyone else does not want to drive at the same speed. All they have to do is safely do what I mentioned above.

What is 'cruise control' anyway? is it anything like the brick I place on the accelerator of my Rover 45 when I am having forty winks at the wheel in the middle lane of the motorway?

Do you mean there are still cars that don't have cruise control :o . Next your going to tell me you have to wind down your windows with a funny little handle instead of pushing a button. No, no don't tell me you have to turn the headlights on when it gets dark, rather than them just switching themselves on when its not light enough.

Good gracious, how primitive. Mind you there are some who still prefer horse and carts, or better still sedan chairs.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

What always impresses me when in Spain is that drivers slow down and pull over to the side to let people overtake.

It really annoys me when people drive slowly and don't realise that everyone else does not want to drive at the same speed. All they have to do is safely do what I mentioned above.

Why don`t you paint DROP YOUR PRICE, or I STR IN 2007 on the side of your car to really get their juices flowing?

I had a bit of fun with a lorry driver (ooh err...) who saw fit to straddle across two lanes to prevent me overtaking him when the two lanes were due to merge a half-mile ahead.

When it split out into two lanes again I pulled in front of him slowed right down and sped up every time he tried to overtake. Childish, probably dangerous, but great fun. If he can declare himself sole judge of when and where people can overtake, so can I :)

So why did he do it?

If it really was 100 metres I'm not sure what his problem was and did you break the speed limit when you overtook Mr Overly Safe Gap and I'm guessing it was a straight stretch with no bends of any type ahead or side roads on the right? Please answer all these points so we might better get a true picture.

I do have a problem with your scenario (i.e. people overtaking multiple cars because of a poodler) when people are at average gaps and particuarly if any of my other points are true. Sometimes the car in front of you might want to overtake the poodler (if he's next in line) and having a car come up his "right" can be a bit dangerous if he himself is preparing to move.

I doubt if he thought I was invading his safe distance as the front 2 cars travelling around 45mph, this guy in front of me around the 45mph mark about 100 metres behind, in fact the 2 front cars were probably slowly pulling away at walking pace difference (2-3mph).

I had a run up/dropped the gears as my car nothing fancy, approx 15mph faster and accelerating before he realised I'm coming past. low and behold he floors it making it difficult for me to get past.

I had a bit of fun with a lorry driver (ooh err...) who saw fit to straddle across two lanes to prevent me overtaking him when the two lanes were due to merge a half-mile ahead.

When it split out into two lanes again I pulled in front of him slowed right down and sped up every time he tried to overtake. Childish, probably dangerous, but great fun. If he can declare himself sole judge of when and where people can overtake, so can I :)

:lol:

If it really was 100 metres I'm not sure what his problem was and did you break the speed limit when you overtook Mr Overly Safe Gap and I'm guessing it was a straight stretch with no bends of any type ahead or side roads on the right? Please answer all these points so we might better get a true picture.

I do have a problem with your scenario (i.e. people overtaking multiple cars because of a poodler) when people are at average gaps and particuarly if any of my other points are true. Sometimes the car in front of you might want to overtake the poodler (if he's next in line) and having a car come up his "right" can be a bit dangerous if he himself is preparing to move.

yes i'd say a genuine 100 metres. definetely no side roads, straight stretch ahead. Would of been a bit over the 60, but only through having to deal with this scenario.

The car in front was not wanting to overtake, other 2 cars drifting away from him at around 100m's approx 45 mph steady. Road is a pretty safe national i'd say and cruising at 60mph is fine if thats what you want.