House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeepLurker

A Matter Of Grave Concern To All Guardian Readers

Apologies if posted before - the article dates from Jan, but I've only just found out about it:

Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?

Ethical consumers should be aware poor Bolivians can no longer afford their staple grain, due to western demand raising prices.

Life must be good for Gordon readers if they have time to worry about this :)

I eat tons of the stuff (a kind of breakfast porridge every morning, mmmm), and took a tongue in cheek ribbing from the other half when she read that apparently I'm now causing south American peasants to go hungry. I hope and think that the reality is probably a bit more complex than that. And if the crop does now command such a high price (it's certainly not cheap to buy from the health food shop near me) then surely only a matter of time before production increases globally to compensate. No reason why we can't grow it here in the UK for example.

The Guardian is assuming that everyone who is vegan is vegan because they're worried about global warming and/or the farmers in hellhole dictatorships. I'm not: I was brought up as a vegan in a religious denomination (Seventh-day Adventism) that encourages the practice on health grounds, and once I grew up and it became a matter of personal choice, remained one because I believe it to be healthier and cheaper, based on objective evidence (example).

Furthermore, much of what she writes is BS. For example:

in this respect, omnivores have it easy. Britain excels in producing meat and dairy foods for them to enjoy. However, a rummage through the shopping baskets of vegetarians and vegans swiftly clocks up the food miles, a consequence of their higher dependency on products imported from faraway places. From tofu and tamari to carob and chickpeas, the axis of the vegetarian shopping list is heavily skewed to global.

Only if you're into overpriced, poncy rubbish so beloved of the Islington Guardianista crowd. Try mushrooms, spinach, peppers and most nuts: all grown in the UK and will provide all the protein anyone needs without having to buy poopoo beans (or whatever they're called) from Sodomistan.

Soya, a foodstuff beloved of the vegan lobby as an alternative to dairy products, is another problematic import, one that drives environmental destruction [see footnote]. Embarrassingly, for those who portray it as a progressive alternative to planet-destroying meat, soya production is now one of the two main causes of deforestation in South America, along with cattle ranching, where vast expanses of forest and grassland have been felled to make way for huge plantations.

That's because so much land is already in use for meat farming. Growing soybeans and then having humans eat those is still way more efficient (especially in terms of water use) than growing soybeans, feeding them to animals and then having humans eat the animals (or in the case of dairy products, eat the animals' excreta).

Human beings can survive on a diet of potatoes and butter so I say let the Bolivians grow potatoes.

Eventually became a problem in Ireland mid nineteenth century. Forget any blaming of anyone, it did prove that monoculture is not a good idea.

Eventually became a problem in Ireland mid nineteenth century. Forget any blaming of anyone, it did prove that monoculture is not a good idea.

It became a massive problem all over europe at that time. It was most acute in Ireland where a population explosion and absentee landlords exacerbated the problem. Put simply, they had to grow potatoes, knowing full well they were an unreliable crop, because there simply wasnt enough land to feed all the people with any other crop. A bit of a warning for the advocates of mass immigration and building on farm land.