House Price Crash Forum
marko192

Lesson Learnt At Hatton Garden!

Morning all,

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice – my wife stopped by a Hatton Garden Jewellers and asked if they could add a chain to a gold coin that was given to her as a present.

When she returned to collect the coin was noticeably lighter, unfortunately she didn’t make a record of what weight coin she originally had but the design matched the original (Perth Mint Lunar Series, Year of the Rooster 2005), she is now in possession of a 1/10 Oz coin so I’m guessing she originally had a ¼ Oz coin. I’m amazed this could happen in Hatton garden, the shop owner couldn’t look her in the face and ordered her out of the shop when she questioned him about the coin.

I know it’s not the Brinks-Mat millions but it’s really frustrating as we have no proof the police advise contacting Action Fraud who in turn asked her to call the Citizens Consumers helpline.

Does anyone know of a shop preferably in central London that could test the coin to make sure it isn’t a fake? Also, is there is a Jewellers Trade Association that we could inform in case it helps others?

Many thanks

Mark

Couldn't you contact the person who gave the present to your wife? They should have some records that woud prove that she originally had a larger coin.

Did they use part of the coin to make the chain? Sounds like a lot of hassle for them for what must be only a small 'profit', really most strange. Sounds quite bizarre.

Most strange. Creaming off a little each time a customer brings in this kind of job could make a tidy sum over the years, but at what risk to their professional reputation? Seems like it just wouldn't be worth it. Rogue employee perhaps?

Couldn't you contact the person who gave the present to your wife? They should have some records that woud prove that she originally had a larger coin.

Not an option I'm afraid, wife doesn't want to upset her mother who gave it to her - plus she doubts that she would still have a record.

Did they use part of the coin to make the chain? Sounds like a lot of hassle for them for what must be only a small 'profit', really most strange. Sounds quite bizarre.

No, chain was provided.

Most strange. Creaming off a little each time a customer brings in this kind of job could make a tidy sum over the years, but at what risk to their professional reputation? Seems like it just wouldn't be worth it. Rogue employee perhaps?

Apparently the work was done elsewhere not at the shop on Greville Street. I believe the old chap who she spoke to was the manager. This all kicked off yesterday so I'm going to pop in for a chat at lunch for all the good it will do me.

Does sound odd but I have only ever bought from them online many years ago but never heard anything bad about them before :huh:

I am sure if you have a word with the manager and make him fully aware that you know the score and will not take things further both off and online if he gives you a sovereign as compensation for the upset etc hopefully he might be accommodating :P

Does sound odd but I have only ever bought from them online many years ago but never heard anything bad about them before :huh:

I am sure if you have a word with the manager and make him fully aware that you know the score and will not take things further both off and online if he gives you a sovereign as compensation for the upset etc hopefully he might be accommodating :P

Yeah ask him for a 1 oz krug......that will settle it..on the other hand Awooga !

Guest unfunded_liability

Morning all,

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice – my wife stopped by a Hatton Garden Jewellers and asked if they could add a chain to a gold coin that was given to her as a present.

When she returned to collect the coin was noticeably lighter, unfortunately she didn’t make a record of what weight coin she originally had but the design matched the original (Perth Mint Lunar Series, Year of the Rooster 2005), she is now in possession of a 1/10 Oz coin so I’m guessing she originally had a ¼ Oz coin. I’m amazed this could happen in Hatton garden, the shop owner couldn’t look her in the face and ordered her out of the shop when she questioned him about the coin.

I know it’s not the Brinks-Mat millions but it’s really frustrating as we have no proof the police advise contacting Action Fraud who in turn asked her to call the Citizens Consumers helpline.

Does anyone know of a shop preferably in central London that could test the coin to make sure it isn’t a fake? Also, is there is a Jewellers Trade Association that we could inform in case it helps others?

Many thanks

Mark

Unusual situation. A tenth oz gold coin has a significant and obvious smaller diameter, thickness and weight compared to a 1/4oz, there really can be no ambiguity and you don't need to be an expert to spot the immediate difference.

Surprising that any HG jeweller would try this on and risk their reputation for 3/20 oz gold. Is there any possibility that your wife didn't know for sure the original weight (1/4 or 1/10) of the coin?

Guest unfunded_liability

Unusual situation. A tenth oz gold coin has a significant and obvious smaller diameter, thickness and weight compared to a 1/4oz, there really can be no ambiguity and you don't need to be an expert to spot the immediate difference.

Surprising that any HG jeweller would try this on and risk their reputation for 3/20 oz gold. Is there any possibility that your wife didn't know for sure the original weight (1/4 or 1/10) of the coin?

Another point I forgot to mention, Perth Mint lunar gold coins are collectors items despite being bullion coins and are actually quite hard to find - try a search on ebay. So unless the dealer happened by remarkable coincidence to have one in stock they would have had to work pretty hard to get one in at short notice. And they'd be paying 50% - 100% more for it than the equivalent size krug/maple/philly/brit.