House Price Crash Forum
Giordano Bruno

Tax Scandal Threatens Charity Donations

A brilliant scheme:

Charity buys government bonds, sells them to a third party at a massive discount.

Third party then sells them at face value and donates the proceeds back to the charity.

Third party claims GiftAid relief on tax liability (£46M)

Charity claims GiftAid contribution from government ((£54M)

Wheel keeps spinnning, faster and faster.

A victimless crime. They're just extracting money from HMRC by entirely legal means. No-one will be punished for this.

I've looked at the accounts of a few charities in the last year and:

1) a good portion of the money people give seem to go on salaries and pensions with some people taking home BIG salaries

2) A lot of government funded institutions, like colleges for example, seem to be 'charities'

3) I came to the conclusion charities are businesses funded by mugs and the tax payers.

Needless to say, I dont give anymore.

1) a good portion of the money people give seem to go on salaries and pensions with some people taking home BIG salaries

2) A lot of government funded institutions, like colleges for example, seem to be 'charities'

3) I came to the conclusion charities are businesses funded by mugs and the tax payers.

This is correct, A company I used to work for moved offices a few years ago and we moved into the floors above a well known charity (wont mention the name but we were based in farringdon so you can find out if you wish) and the charity organised a meet and great in their offices

When we went down to meet them its fair to say everyone i worked with was fairly shocked at the offices they had, being a charity i think we expected a bit of a ramshackle office with a variety of older machines and such like. However what we walked into was the complete opposite, it was like the office of a new media company, the latest and greatest of everything in fact it wouldnt be unfair to use the words plush or luxury to describe it.

Since then ive stopped donating to large charities as i think its disgusting where they spend the money

But if you think about it, in any business those who run it get the big money. A charity is a business, the only difference the carity and any normal business is that the dividends go to good works rather the shareholders.

What rally annoy me are those so called charities which are really quangos in drag.

Just to add a bit of balance here, I'm a life member of a mid-sized charity, it cost me £200 (lest GiftAid tax relief), to offset £20 a year membership. I benefit directly from my membership. Anyway, I started to get a bit spooked a few years back when they had a big new headquarters built in commuter land. Hmmm.

But they've just announced that all memberships will be free, the only charge is for the 6-times-a-year rag if you want it. All the support, information packs, forums, advocacy continues to remain free to access for members. The outreach and support programme appears to be going from strength to strength. I always read the accounts dilligently every year and can't find any holes or any sign of the gravy train. Any employee needs a pension, the days of doing missionary work for free then living on beans in retirement are long gone.

It would be a terrible shame if these tax dodgers and the fat salary brigade stuff it up for genuine charitable endeavour.

There was advice some years ago which I guess still holds true. If you want to donate to one of the mega charities like, say, RSPCA take some money down to your local office. Even better, give non-monetary donations like dog food (obviously, not dog food to Oxfam, that would be peverse). Don't make a national donation, because that's where the money chomping overheads and fat salaries are.

Edited by Stainless Sam

This is correct, A company I used to work for moved offices a few years ago and we moved into the floors above a well known charity (wont mention the name but we were based in farringdon so you can find out if you wish) and the charity organised a meet and great in their offices

When we went down to meet them its fair to say everyone i worked with was fairly shocked at the offices they had, being a charity i think we expected a bit of a ramshackle office with a variety of older machines and such like. However what we walked into was the complete opposite, it was like the office of a new media company, the latest and greatest of everything in fact it wouldnt be unfair to use the words plush or luxury to describe it.

Since then ive stopped donating to large charities as i think its disgusting where they spend the money

it has to be remembered that many of the so called charities are just vehicles for outsourcing services previously performed by local or central government . funding is primarily from government with donations just a small part of income. Bearing that in mind why should the employees of those charities have to accept worse conditions than their pampered equivalent in local government....

I volunteered for a local charity shop 4 months ago. They asked for references, etc., and they said they would be in touch.

I didn't hear from them. They didn't follow up the references.

i dropped in last week to ask what was happening. Apparently the manager has a pile of volunteer applications and hasn't got round to me yet. They are still advertising in their window for volunteers.

I now consider them to be discourteous timewasters.

relevant to the economy tho shurely?

jsut like the chief exec salaries of most charidees are........it's not jsut the bankers whove been raking it in.

check out some of these mofo's

http://www.squidoo.com/child-organizations

'Did you know that some Children Charity CEOs earn nearly $0.5 million per year?

Save The Children

www.savethechildren.org

Charles MacCormack, President:

Jan 2010- Dec 2010: $339,767 + $51'427+ $38'500+ $28'4800=$458'174

Oct 2007- Sept 2008: $354'081 +$66'805 +$5'735 = $426'621

World Vision

www.worldvision.org

Richard Stearns, President:

Oct 2009- Sept 2010: $340,507+ $38,662 + $39,552 + $20,434 = $439'155

Oct 2007- Sept 2008: $336'472 + $44'382 + $40'327 = $421'181

Child Fund

AKA Christian's Children's Fund

http://www.childfund.org/

Anne Goddard President:

July 2009- June 2010: $258'738+ $59'170 = $317'548

July 2007-June 2008: $249'231 + $32'994 + $12'000 = $ 294'225

Compassion International

www.compassion.com

Wess Stafford, CEO

Jul 2009- June 2010: $267'058 + $39186= $306'244

Jul 2008 - Jun 2009: $214'943+ $34'743 = $249'686

Jul 2007- Jun 2008: $206.673 + $20'521 = $227'194'

Yes, it is relevant to the economy. Thanks for pointing that out.

I feel strongly that the Charities Commission has an obligation to people who donate to charity to ensure that the money is being used correctly and going to help the cause for which it was intended. Of course, some must go to fund-raising and administration but that should only be a small percentage of the income. I think there should be transparency - salaries and proportions of total budget which goes to salaries and to the cause should be made public. Just my take.

And I am concerned partly because I do contribute and I hope to leave a big wodge to charity when I die.

I cannot understand the so called charity ASH.

Set up in 1970 by the Royal College of Physicians, it is apparently a business and a charity.

Does anyone know of any members?

How do they raise funds?

Problems with charities for disabled and sick people are rife. As some of you know I belong to a group for people with a neurological disease.

We have "rivals" in that there is another group with our disease name in their title who raise funds as well. They put nothing into research and pay their CEO 100,000 per year. The trustees are all elected by the other trustees. People who have our disease cannot join the trustees or vote for the trustees. They are very high profile and advise the government.

It's impossible to tackle this because the charities commission will not take any action. Our complaints have never been taken seriously. The charities commision tell us that anyone can set up a group with anything in the name and it's up to the trustees to determine how money is spent. Trustees do not have to be elected by anyone who wants to become a member. Restricting voting members to a small, restricted group is how they maintain control.

The best charity starts at home.

Always ask why.

Listen to people.

Give your hungry neighbour/friends a meal.

Volunteer time to a cause which is of interest to YOU.

Help a random stranger in need.

Karma is a bitch.

I made a complaint to the charity commission a few years back. There was a charity operating locally where the person collecting took 100% of the collected money (about 30K PA) in salary. Also the stated aims of the charity were stupid and needed several million to even begin to operate, and the real local similar charity dismissed him as a conman.

The charity commission did nothing at all ,they made him promise to try harder to collect more money next year.