House Price Crash Forum

Ohio Women Were Held With Ropes And Chains

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22453361

Cleveland's police chief has said the three women held captive in an Ohio house for about a decade were restrained with ropes and chains.

Michael McGrath told US broadcaster NBC that investigators believe the victims were allowed out in the backyard occasionally.

Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus have gone home and Michelle Knight was reportedly in a fair condition in hospital.

Chief McGrath said a charging decision would come later on Wednesday.

Former school bus driver Ariel Castro, 52, who owns the house where the women were found, has been arrested along with his two brothers, Pedro, 54, and Onil, 50.

This just appears to be another of those stories that's beyond believe that for 10 years some of these women where held captive in a house like this, and no one suspected anything.

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22453361

This just appears to be another of those stories that's beyond believe that for 10 years some of these women where held captive in a house like this, and no one suspected anything.

caught a beeb report that Police had been to the place on several occasions as neighbours reported odd goings on...like one woman in the garden being walked like a dog with collar and chain....naked!

HOLA444

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22453361

There could turn out to be a bit of a shitstorm over this. Apparently police were called to the house on numerous occasions. There'll be people losing serious sleep over these women escaping.

HOLA445

IIRC I read several years ago that the FBI reckons there are several hundred serial killers at loose in the US and that there are genuine reasons to fear that numerous missing women have been kidnapped and are being held against their will.

Scary.

HOLA446

IIRC I read several years ago that the FBI reckons there are several hundred serial killers at loose in the US and that there are genuine reasons to fear that numerous missing women have been kidnapped and are being held against their will.

Scary.

I'm just catching up on this from unofficial sources now. Surprised IRRO has downgraded to the Beeb as it seems that the DM has the best coverage out of the official sources.

It really is impossible to imagine 10 lost years at any age, but at that age with the rest of your life ahead, words...

As for hundreds/thousands missing across the globe I wouldn't be surprised if films such as Hostel are pretty much onto the right theme.

I hate the monetary system, but no matter what might hopefully replace it I can't see how it'd change things like this happening (maybe spur enforcers to enforce rather than seeing it as a shithole in Cleveland being not worth investigating).

Also, I've sent an email to the PSYCHIC MEDIUM that told the mother of Berry before she died that her daughter was dead, a vile ****.

HOLA447

Watched a horror film called "Chained" (self explanatory) a few months ago and said to my OH that there must be thousands of people in this sort of long term kidnap situation all over the place. Nightmare situation I don't even want to comphrehend. The big profile cases were the Austrian Fritzl who kept his daughter Elisabeth locked up for 24 years and had 7 kids with her (WTF). Natasha Kampusch who was captive fby another Austrian for 8 years and had plenty of chances to escape but suffered Stockholm Syndrome until finally making a break for it. Jaycee Dugard who escaped in America a few years ago after 18 years in captivity. It was touching that Jaycee offered words of support for these 3 Cleveland girls. Worryingly Michelle Knight, one of the Cleveland girls was quoted as saying that when she first arrived at the house after being kidnapped there was another girl at the house, and then she "disappeared". Those poor women, god knows how you ever try and recover from something like that.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I hate the monetary system, but no matter what might hopefully replace it I can't see how it'd change things like this happening (maybe spur enforcers to enforce rather than seeing it as a shithole in Cleveland being not worth investigating).

I dunno. One of the reasons the police didn't investigate properly may have been because of budget cuts caused by the state being in debt and having to pay interest to private banks. A debt-free monetary system might alleviate some of these budget problems.

Also, I have wondered for a while whether the extreme inequalities in wealth in the USA is the cause of some of this extreme behavior in people. They spout all that rubbish about The American Dream in the press but it is clearly a myth. If you are dragged through an education system that forces that rubbish onto you and then later begin to realize the lies that have been told to you perhaps that sends some people crazy.

HOLA4410

different story and even worse. luckily they got this one

Authorities said he chatted online with two men who talked about their desire to abduct, kill and eat children, and investigators found equipment in his basement to carry out the gruesome acts.

The soundproofed room in the leafy New England suburb allegedly contained a child-sized homemade coffin, a steel cage, torture devices and butchering tools

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/paedophile-brit-had-dungeon-under-us-home-114235098.html#ffXoRKb

but to lighten the mood:

this guys 911 call and interviews were classics and now its been songified

HOLA4411

Thank god so few british houses have basements. In fact, trying to keep anything larger than a gerbil incarerated in a British home is probably fairly difficult. I do wonder about all these muslim families who are found to have 'slave girls' from the sub-continent (illegal immigrants) shipped in to cater for their every whim though.

HOLA4412

Can you imagine being locked up for 10 years, escaping and ringing the police to only find that your name doesn't immediately ring a bell with the dispatcher?

The whole story is horrific. Did I really hear the brothers aren't going to be charged?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I dunno. One of the reasons the police didn't investigate properly may have been because of budget cuts caused by the state being in debt and having to pay interest to private banks. A debt-free monetary system might alleviate some of these budget problems.

Also, I have wondered for a while whether the extreme inequalities in wealth in the USA is the cause of some of this extreme behavior in people. They spout all that rubbish about The American Dream in the press but it is clearly a myth. If you are dragged through an education system that forces that rubbish onto you and then later begin to realize the lies that have been told to you perhaps that sends some people crazy.

More likely police not interested because it is a shithole area.

And my colleague says to me just a few days ago he wants to go back to Ohio 'cos America is such a wonderful country, much better than UK.

HOLA4415

The whole story is horrific. Did I really hear the brothers aren't going to be charged?

Apparently, as the story goes so far, the other two brothers had no idea what was going on. Come on, your brother lives in a house with steel doors and blocked up windows and you don't think that there's anything odd about that? Ariel Castro must have been doing a fair amount of food shopping as well, plus baby gear.

Read today that instead of celebrating the girls birthdays he would celebrate their abduction day with a special dinner and a cake. What a nice touch. http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2013/05/08/cleveland-man-charged-with-women-kidnap-rape/QKFzvx3jojYHQ6to799eTO/story.html

HOLA4416

Apparently, as the story goes so far, the other two brothers had no idea what was going on. Come on, your brother lives in a house with steel doors and blocked up windows and you don't think that there's anything odd about that? Ariel Castro must have been doing a fair amount of food shopping as well, plus baby gear

Maybe he told them he was preparing for Armageddon and had a massive store under his house where all the food was going.

HOLA4417

More likely police not interested because it is a shithole area.

And my colleague says to me just a few days ago he wants to go back to Ohio 'cos America is such a wonderful country, much better than UK.

I think it also has something to do with the states - once people are assumed to have moved outside of a state the Police apparently often give up the search. Hence why there is that huge bounty hunter industry in the US where people are paid to bring back suspected criminals from out of state.

If you were being unkind I suppose you could say it is convenient for some US law enforcement agencies to argue that so and so has now gone beyond the state line.

Their system of Police with everything from town/city Police through to country Police to State Police and then all the Federal guys such as US Marshals, FBI, ATF, etc, can only confuse things IMPO. Who is responsible for what and how well do they actually co-operate with one another?

The other aspect is the 300 million population - how many people go missing in the US each year? Are they missing because they have been harmed or because they have just moved away? Or are they homeless on the street corner?

I have a friend who wants to move to the US because she loves the shopping and the polite manners - but she only ever sees the holiday persona and not, as all countries have, the bad things.

HOLA4418

I think it also has something to do with the states - once people are assumed to have moved outside of a state the Police apparently often give up the search. Hence why there is that huge bounty hunter industry in the US where people are paid to bring back suspected criminals from out of state.

If you were being unkind I suppose you could say it is convenient for some US law enforcement agencies to argue that so and so has now gone beyond the state line.

Their system of Police with everything from town/city Police through to country Police to State Police and then all the Federal guys such as US Marshals, FBI, ATF, etc, can only confuse things IMPO. Who is responsible for what and how well do they actually co-operate with one another?

The other aspect is the 300 million population - how many people go missing in the US each year? Are they missing because they have been harmed or because they have just moved away? Or are they homeless on the street corner?

I have a friend who wants to move to the US because she loves the shopping and the polite manners - but she only ever sees the holiday persona and not, as all countries have, the bad things.

Good post, TMT

Yeah, these tend to be optimistic, but rather blinkered and sheltered people. This guy waxes lyrical about the freedom and open roads and the huge house he had near Cleveland (got repoed!!!!). He now lives in a modest terrace in Brum with his family on an excellent salary, tiny mortgage. He's not British btw, but not a yank.

He said 'the quality of life over there is sooo much better than here. I really don't like the UK much'

I am British and had to bite my lip.

HOLA4419

Good post, TMT

Yeah, these tend to be optimistic, but rather blinkered and sheltered people. This guy waxes lyrical about the freedom and open roads and the huge house he had near Cleveland (got repoed!!!!). He now lives in a modest terrace in Brum with his family on an excellent salary, tiny mortgage. He's not British btw, but not a yank.

He said 'the quality of life over there is sooo much better than here. I really don't like the UK much'

I am British and had to bite my lip.

Thanks.

I have lived and worked in the US and the simple truth is that it is such a vast country with such a large population that you really cannot make generalisations about any of it.

There are some truly wonderful places to live out there and some pretty awful places. I also think that you have more opportunity to get on out there and I think that is why lots of Brits do really well out there - it is a country where you can flourish and be rewarded.

But some of the crime and racism and gun 'elements' are truly frightening. I can understand how many Americans want to own guns as, quite simply, you can be in places that the Police would take hours to get to you - even if they know that you need help.

The lack of health care for all is also appalling and worrying IMPO.

If I won 20 million on the lottery I could see myself buying a 1 or 2 million dollar home somewhere in Californian... and living a few months each year out there... but I would keep a home in the UK so that I could come back and use the NHS when needed.

HOLA4420

Headline news is three women who were kidnapped half a world away. What about the woman charged with three murders in Cambridgeshire? Did anyone see this in the national media?

http://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/woman_charged_with_murders_of_three_men_whose_bodies_were_dumped_across_parts_of_cambridgeshire_1_2183687

I'm curious about how the media choose their headline stories.

HOLA4421

Headline news is three women who were kidnapped half a world away. What about the woman charged with three murders in Cambridgeshire? Did anyone see this in the national media?

http://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/woman_charged_with_murders_of_three_men_whose_bodies_were_dumped_across_parts_of_cambridgeshire_1_2183687

Something about a Scottish pensioner instead

HOLA4422

:blink:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My wife, a dozen yrs in the UK but foreign, asked why the only thing on the news yeasterday was Fergie. Why was it so important?

I couldn't disagree, why is a football manager so important? To back up corevalue's point about media interest.

Important isn't the same as newsworthy.

Archived