House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
long time lurking

Ll`s Bank Inspecting Their Properties

This concerns a commercial premises I rent but is mixed commercial/residential

I have heard rumors that the LL is up to their eyeballs in debt and struggling ,and yesterday received a letter from the LL stating that the banks inspect the properties every few years and will need access one day next week is this normal procedure or could they be doing their sums before they decide whether or not to pull the plug on the LL

I`t would be better if I jumped rather than being pushed

Any thoughts would be appreciated

This concerns a commercial premises I rent but is mixed commercial/residential

I have heard rumors that the LL is up to their eyeballs in debt and struggling ,and yesterday received a letter from the LL stating that the banks inspect the properties every few years and will need access one day next week is this normal procedure or could they be doing their sums before they decide whether or not to pull the plug on the LL

The bank may well be surveying with a view to re-finance or marketing what has become their property. As it is commercial and residential I'd sit tight since unlike pure residential having a sitting tenant paying rent is considered a good thing. If they kicked everyone out they would have to pay full business rates which would hurt since they would be unlikely to find new tenants in a hurry. There are bucket loads of commercial property empty. The building I'm in is currently about 60% let, 30% to us. Our previous office never got above 40% and for many years was closer to 25%. The bank repo'd it, the landlord won it back again in court - but lost everything else. After we left everyone else moved out and the bank repo'd it and sold it on quite a bit less than the LL paid for it. Such is the way of the world.

Our London office has been 'surveyed' quite extensively on several occasions by 'banks'.

Dont' panic!

The bank may well be surveying with a view to re-finance or marketing what has become their property. As it is commercial and residential I'd sit tight since unlike pure residential having a sitting tenant paying rent is considered a good thing. If they kicked everyone out they would have to pay full business rates which would hurt since they would be unlikely to find new tenants in a hurry. There are bucket loads of commercial property empty. The building I'm in is currently about 60% let, 30% to us. Our previous office never got above 40% and for many years was closer to 25%. The bank repo'd it, the landlord won it back again in court - but lost everything else. After we left everyone else moved out and the bank repo'd it and sold it on quite a bit less than the LL paid for it. Such is the way of the world.

Our London office has been 'surveyed' quite extensively on several occasions by 'banks'.

Dont' panic!

Thanks for the reply, i`m not really panicking i`m looking for a bigger place at this moment in time anyway ,but the place I was looking to move to also belongs to the current LL so i`m a little apprehensive about doing so ,but if it`s seen as normal procedure I could be worrying over nothing but there again they may just pull the plug ,I suppose only time will tell

Do you like the landlord?

If not, maybe ask the inspectors what a 'second mortgage' is as you have had some callers to the property trying to find the landlords contact details who used that term.....