House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

P*ss Poor Parenting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22445847

A "rising number" of children are starting school still wearing nappies, say health experts in Kent.

Of 18 schools investigated, 24 children did not know how to use a toilet and still wore nappies.

"One school told us that due to the problem, they had to replace the carpets in two classrooms."

--

So Surestart has spent how much?

My first reaction is: carpets? In classrooms?!!!

My second is that when my mother was head of a school for mentally handicapped children (admittedly 30 years ago, hence the old fashioned name for Learning Difficulties none of them were in nappies when they started.

Progress indeed.

I heard a theory (from an old woman, so must be true..) that advances in nappy comfort make it more difficult to get children out of them. Is there anything in this?

Anecdotally I think there maybe something in that, my eldest was never particularly bothered about being changed when soiled.

My wee lass couldn't wait to get out of nappies. This wasn't anything special we did, kids vary. My nephew would have happily sat in his own sh1t until about his 10th birthday if his parents hadn't pushed him quite hard. Sounds like some parents aren't prepared to do the pushing.

I heard a theory (from an old woman, so must be true..) that advances in nappy comfort make it more difficult to get children out of them. Is there anything in this?

The technology in the best modern nappies is amazing. Our 11kg toddler put over 500ml into one nappy, and was still dry. How can what is basically 30 grams of paper hold so much liquid?!

Some people use toilet training nappies that are deliberately rubbish so the kid gets the negative feedback.

My wee lass couldn't wait to get out of nappies. This wasn't anything special we did, kids vary. My nephew would have happily sat in his own sh1t until about his 10th birthday if his parents hadn't pushed him quite hard. Sounds like some parents aren't prepared to do the pushing.

Also anecdotally, there's a boy/girl issue you've got there too.

You mean to say that it isn't the job of the school to toilet train the kids?

Teacher friends tell me that a small but growing number of incompetent parents view their own responsibilities as feeding the children (usually fast food and sweets) ... and that's about it. They expect the school to do pretty much everything a parent would normally do on top of their actual function of delivering an education.

However, any attempt to impose discipline on unruly kids (so as to actually be able to do some teaching in class) invariably rouses the ire of the parent(s), often with threats of violence.

Social degeneration in action - and accelerating. In the past the underclasses were useful fodder for wars of conquest or near-slave labour in the mill/factory. Not so any more, now they are just extra social security claimants with masses of unskilled immigrants flooding in to do the jobs that they won't do. Makes you wonder where this is all heading.

Anecdotally I think there maybe something in that, my eldest was never particularly bothered about being changed when soiled.

I put my youngest into cloth nappies when he was 3 months old. Best thing I ever did and it really isn't the work that people think it will be compared to using disposables

He toilet trained really quickly at about 2 and 2 months both day and night. There is an argument that because they're more aware of being wet in cloth nappies, compared to disposables, they grasp it sooner. Just my experience though.

You mean to say that it isn't the job of the school to toilet train the kids?

Teacher friends tell me that a small but growing number of incompetent parents view their own responsibilities as feeding the children (usually fast food and sweets) ... and that's about it. They expect the school to do pretty much everything a parent would normally do on top of their actual function of delivering an education.

However, any attempt to impose discipline on unruly kids (so as to actually be able to do some teaching in class) invariably rouses the ire of the parent(s), often with threats of violence.

Social degeneration in action - and accelerating. In the past the underclasses were useful fodder for wars of conquest or near-slave labour in the mill/factory. Not so any more, now they are just extra social security claimants with masses of unskilled immigrants flooding in to do the jobs that they won't do. Makes you wonder where this is all heading.

I suppose there are just too many misguided fools out there who see the end of mass slaughter and slavery as progress rather than social degeneration. Oh, the folly!

I suppose there are just too many misguided fools out there who see the end of mass slaughter and slavery as progress rather than social degeneration. Oh, the folly!

That whooshing sound is my point flying over your head.

I think this is pretty much spot on, but in order to get the kid out of nappies it actually requires some dedication and resistance to embarrassment.

When we really wanted our kids out of nappies we just put them in underpants, once they start to feel the discomfort the urge not to soil themselves follows pretty quickly. It just means you have to take a couple of sets of spare clothes everywhere.

I've heard of the odd kid revelling in the infant version of a dirty protest, but very few and far between.

I think this is pretty much spot on, but in order to get the kid out of nappies it actually requires some dedication and resistance to embarrassment.

When we really wanted our kids out of nappies we just put them in underpants, once they start to feel the discomfort the urge not to soil themselves follows pretty quickly. It just means you have to take a couple of sets of spare clothes everywhere.

I've heard of the odd kid revelling in the infant version of a dirty protest, but very few and far between.

I guess it's probably a combination of the lack of feedback to the child and lack of incentive to the parents resulting from the comfort and convenience of modern nappies. In the past, having to hand-wash cloth nappies must have made potty training a much higher priority! Even so, I was pretty relieved to get my lad out of nappies - changing even modern nappies isn't a whole load of fun.

At least, I reckon that's probably a more likely explanation than social degradation resulting from survival of the underclasses due to a lack of war and slavery. Just my opinion though.

Our oldest (girl) took about 2 weeks to toilet train at the age of about 2 and a half.

Youngest (boy) took about 2 years, just about managed it in time for school.

Surprised that no one has blames tax credits meaning that poor parents can actually afford nappies..

mumsnet invades HPC

anyone got any recipes?

Y

Unrealistic expectations for your children plus a dash of resentment that 'DH' doesn't treat you like a princess now your a bit ragged round the edges. Cooking approx time 25 years (may cause brain tumours)

The technology in the best modern nappies is amazing. Our 11kg toddler put over 500ml into one nappy, and was still dry. How can what is basically 30 grams of paper hold so much liquid?!

Some people use toilet training nappies that are deliberately rubbish so the kid gets the negative feedback.

It's got something called AGM in them - absorbent gelling material. So think crystals that expand to 100 times their size. (might not be 100 times but they grow a helluva lot). They look like salt crystals when dry. And big blogs when wet.

It's got something called AGM in them - absorbent gelling material. So think crystals that expand to 100 times their size. (might not be 100 times but they grow a helluva lot). They look like salt crystals when dry. And big blogs when wet.

I assume the contents of these blogs is clearly understood.

Our oldest (girl) took about 2 weeks to toilet train at the age of about 2 and a half.

Youngest (boy) took about 2 years, just about managed it in time for school.

Surprised that no one has blames tax credits meaning that poor parents can actually afford nappies..

Now that you mention it......:rolleyes:

At least, I reckon that's probably a more likely explanation than social degradation resulting from survival of the underclasses due to a lack of war and slavery. Just my opinion though.

In the past, 'society' hasn't much cared about the underclass as they have served a useful function to those running the show, who have no scruples about turning people into cannon fodder or grist to go in the mill. Hence, no incentive to do anything about fixing things.

Now, we have an accelerating degradation/unravelling at the bottom end of society and absolutely no ideas in the pipeline to try to reverse it.

I think that aside from the useless chav parents, many middle class parents are damaging kids by expecting perfection.

Thus they put off the mishaps of potty training because they can't stomach the intrusion of poo and pee, they cause anxiety and OCD buy constantly cleaning little grubby faces, they make a huge deal out of picking up toys and tidying, they create gruelling worthy schedules for kids to give them an early 'boost'.

Guest eight

I think that aside from the useless chav parents, many middle class parents are damaging kids by expecting perfection.

Thus they put off the mishaps of potty training because they can't stomach the intrusion of poo and pee, they cause anxiety and OCD buy constantly cleaning little grubby faces, they make a huge deal out of picking up toys and tidying, they create gruelling worthy schedules for kids to give them an early 'boost'.

Reminds me of those adverts where the middle class mother chases the toddler around the spotless white show home with a pack of antiseptic wipes. Makes my skin crawl.