House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

World's First 3D Printed Gun

Didn't take them long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."

One wonders why all the world's nutters don't just relocate to Texas where they can live out their days running around in Humvees, polishing their gold and shooting each other.

Win/win.

He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore."

It'll still be illegal and if you're caught in possession you'll still be doing ten years. Downloading the schematic might even earn you a terrorist rap.

It'll still be illegal and if you're caught in possession you'll still be doing ten years. Downloading the schematic might even earn you a terrorist rap.

Have you read the entire article? (I snipped)

It's completely legal and he has a licence to do it. Manufacturing your own weapon is legal in the US.

In Texas it's probably obligatory to own one in case Obama comes to steal your gold.

Didn't take them long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

One wonders why all the world's nutters don't just relocate to Texas where they can live out their days running around in Humvees, polishing their gold and shooting each other.

Win/win.

I wonder if owning gold makes one more likely or less likely to shoot someone? Pity the statistics are not available?

But you're right. We should lump gold owners and gun nutters together anyway :)

I wonder if owning gold makes one more likely or less likely to shoot someone? Pity the statistics are not available?

In America, if they're on your land without permission they deserve to be shot.

Looks like a pretty crappy gun to me, wot's all the fuss about?! Only advantage for people making these would be in passing through metal detectors for single-shot attempt at an assassination, no? Could well prove to be a force for good in the world.... :ph34r:

;)

Looks like a pretty crappy gun to me, wot's all the fuss about?! Only advantage for people making these would be in passing through metal detectors for single-shot attempt at an assassination, no? Could well prove to be a force for good in the world.... :ph34r:

;)

Agreed, using the sort of polymer technology that is currently available to the general public you're not going to be able to make a gun any better than you could with a couple of lengths of pipe in your garage.

Where it would get serious is if metal printing techniques become available to the general public. I'm no expert but it looks like direct metal laser sintering technology is capable of building a proper firearm that would be indisinguishable from its conventionally manufactured equivilent.

I'm guessing that the cost of a machine like that at the moment is in the hundreds of thousands or more but does anyone have a view on how likely/how long it will be before this might be available in the home?

In America, if they're on your land without permission they deserve to be shot.

Red Indians tried that, but only had bows and arrows.

Here in the UK of course the Queen owns all the land.

Personally I'm not sure how anyone can 'own' any part of the universe, but that's probably beyond the scope of a topic on shooting people with plastic guns.

How difficult would it be to make a bullet?

Bullets, easy. Cartridge, more difficult but should still be within the ability of hobbyist machinist.

Of course you could always go cap and ball.

Bullets, easy. Cartridge, more difficult but should still be within the ability of hobbyist machinist.

How long until a 3D gun is made in the UK?

Maybe they are already being made. Virtually untraceable, reasonably cheap. Easy to dispose of, you can always build another.

Sort the bullets out and you could set up a small factory in your shed making 10 a day.

More relevantly to this forum, how come they're not yet building houses this way, like overnight or something?

;)

Reminds me of that film where John Malkavich's character builds a wooden gun.

The cap is the hard part.

Bullets are very simple to make. Anyone who can watch a youtube video and read a book can make rifle bullets. If you just want something that fires, you don't even need special tools. If you want something accurate and repeatable, then you do need tools to the tune of about £150.

Before anyone pipes up, yes that gun was fired with a .22 LR, which is pretty hard to make, but centrefire bullets are easy.

The interesting bit of this is not that they have produced a working gun - it is that they have reduced the barriers to getting a working gun. A determined amateur could knock up a serviceable sten gun in a home work shop - if they had a lathe, they could make a pretty accurate one. Now you can buy a 3D printer mail order (£1500 or so) and get working. In 10 years, 3D printers will be £100. Every kid will have one. It is the same with making your own ammunition - it used to be something that gnarly gamekeepers might have done, and you average oik would get short shrift from the gnarly gamekeeper. Now you watch a few videos, get busy with the credit card, and you're ready to go.

The point is that in the "old" days, someone with the smarts to make a gun probably would have been able to get a gun licence anyway. In 5 years, any scrote will be able to print one off. Single shot, inaccurate over more than 20 yards, but a poxy .22 in the head will certainly do you in.

Bullets are very simple to make. Anyone who can watch a youtube video and read a book can make rifle bullets. If you just want something that fires, you don't even need special tools. If you want something accurate and repeatable, then you do need tools to the tune of about £150.

Before anyone pipes up, yes that gun was fired with a .22 LR, which is pretty hard to make, but centrefire bullets are easy.

The interesting bit of this is not that they have produced a working gun - it is that they have reduced the barriers to getting a working gun. A determined amateur could knock up a serviceable sten gun in a home work shop - if they had a lathe, they could make a pretty accurate one. Now you can buy a 3D printer mail order (£1500 or so) and get working. In 10 years, 3D printers will be £100. Every kid will have one. It is the same with making your own ammunition - it used to be something that gnarly gamekeepers might have done, and you average oik would get short shrift from the gnarly gamekeeper. Now you watch a few videos, get busy with the credit card, and you're ready to go.

The point is that in the "old" days, someone with the smarts to make a gun probably would have been able to get a gun licence anyway. In 5 years, any scrote will be able to print one off. Single shot, inaccurate over more than 20 yards, but a poxy .22 in the head will certainly do you in.

I reload my own centrefire ammo, it's not hard. The hard part for a would be armed crim is the primer. You need a certificate to buy them

You need a certificate to buy them

Hmmm. I've never been asked for a cert. I have to produce the cert for expanding ammunition, but nothing else. They certainly aren't "counted" like ammunition, so you can buy several thousand at a time.

Guest eight

Sounds like we need to ban home 3D printing, and quickly! :ph34r:

I take your point, but currently anyone who really wants to kill someone can already do it pretty easily with a kitchen knife or a baseball bat or whatever. Not sure that a inaccurate single shot pistol is really that much of a game changer. These things are still illegal and so I can't see many crims bothering with it when they could probably get hold of a proper gun for not much more than the cost of buying the 3D printer etc.

I think you need to look at the progression of these things. I remember when Mp3 came out and it didn't make sense - why would you transfer the content of an £11 CD to a memory card that cost £50? MP3s were silly. 20 years on, the game has changed.

The same will happen with 3d printing. The costs will come down, and the quality will go up. You can bet that there are a lot of smart people working on making this stuff robust - in 10 years, the products of this technology may well be as tough as something that is machined today. Indeed, it may be better. So in 20 years, you might well be able to buy something that knocks out very strong parts for £100 in Dixons.

It certainly is a game changer, and guns are only a trivial part of it.