House Price Crash Forum
aalyas

Is Estate Agent Lying

Thinking of buying an ex-LA flat on top floor of a 6 floor block for a BTL investment. There is some wet rot (sorry not at all an expert on this but that's what it looks like to me) on the ceiling. The estate agent says the council will fix the roof in 2 weeks and there will be no cost to me for this. This is separate from and doesn't affect the service charge according to the estate agent. I have spoken to the council and they say that unless I buy the property I won't be able to get more information. How do I find out the truth of this situation ? or do I take the estate agent's word for this ?

Is Estate Agent Lying

Is The pope catholic?

Thinking of buying - Bad idea 1

..an ex-LA flat - bad idea 2

..on top floor of a 6 floor block - bad idea 3

..for a BTL investment. - bad idea 4

..There is some wet rot - bad news 5

..the council say I won't be able to get more information - bad news 6

..do I take the estate agent's word - bad idea 7

Is someone forcing you to buy this particular house, or does it just appeal because it seems too cheap to be true?

I sometimes hear horror stories of folk buying ex la properties.... suddenly find themselves on the wrong end of their share of 100's of1000's £'s of repairs at 'for the council' rates.

Ask yourself this - what is his incentive to say that there is no problem? Pretty fekcing massive. What is his incentive for saying there is a problem? Pretty fecking small.

Thinking of buying an ex-LA flat on top floor of a 6 floor block for a BTL investment. There is some wet rot (sorry not at all an expert on this but that's what it looks like to me) on the ceiling. The estate agent says the council will fix the roof in 2 weeks and there will be no cost to me for this. This is separate from and doesn't affect the service charge according to the estate agent. I have spoken to the council and they say that unless I buy the property I won't be able to get more information. How do I find out the truth of this situation ? or do I take the estate agent's word for this ?

You'll regret it.

I looked at an ex-council flat in a nice area of town. There were suddenly a whole lot for sale in the same block. The council was due to be carrying out major repairs there the following year and owners had been advised that this was happening and what they would need to pay. The estimated repair bill was so large that people were selling up rather than risk being stuck with the bill.

If the council still owns the freehold and does work then people will be charged for it. These blocks don't tend to have huge slush funds set up to anticipate future work.

The seller will most likely have put the property on the market for just that reason. He doesn't want to pay/cannot afford to pay plus he won't get a tenant to stay with that work being carried out.

Edited by Flopsy