House Price Crash Forum

Guest eight

Yes that is true, but didnt really happen here in the Asturias and most of the North. It doesnt account for why so many people here seem so well off

To be fair I live in North East England and often wonder exactly the same thing.

Yes that is true, but didnt really happen here in the Asturias and most of the North. It doesnt account for why so many people here seem so well off

Yes I've wondered that myself - San Sebastian is just nuts when it comes to wealth. Also people from places like Valladolid always seem absolutely loaded. To an extent you can argue that the Spanish don't spend so much on other stuff - they don't travel so much, families tend to live under one roof for longer, etc, if the bought property over 15 years ago they would have paid off their mortgage by now, and also they like to "show off" their wealth a bit more than the English. Last week a friend from Valladolid was only telling me about a discussion he had with friends back home: they asked him how much he was earning and he replied €30k (a good salary by Spanish standards) but they refused to believe him simply because he wasn't driving an expensive German car. They could not understand why someone earning a decent salary would not want to spend most of it on the car. I think the same sort of peer pressure exists with the old ladies in fur coats - they will all be in the haidresser every Saturday morning getting their hair rinsed or whatever, ready to show it off in church the next day. Image is everything.

They could not understand why someone earning a decent salary would not want to spend most of it on the car. I think the same sort of peer pressure exists with the old ladies in fur coats - they will all be in the haidresser every Saturday morning getting their hair rinsed or whatever, ready to show it off in church the next day. Image is everything.

Yes there is quite a bit of that. People dress very well and have to look smart when they go "de paseo" with their families. It gives the impression that they are very well off, when in monetry terms they probably are not, although the extended family probably has a bunch of property assets which act as their security blanket.

I have to say that the salaried professionals behave very different to the black market workers. They are two different classes if you like

The other thing that surprised me is the generosity of unemployment benefit. Many of those unemployed young see on TV on about 9,000EUR/year in unemployment benefit. Not all of course but I know some that are.

The other thing that surprised me is the generosity of unemployment benefit. Many of those unemployed young see on TV on about 9,000EUR/year in unemployment benefit. Not all of course but I know some that are.

Those on a permanent contract are entitled to about 33 days pay for each year worked. Up until last year it was something like 45 days. So if you had worked say 8 years with a company they'd have to pay you an extra year's salary just to get rid of you. If you work in an industry with strong unions then you'd expect even bigger payoffs. Then for the first two years you'd get a generous employment benefit from the state - maybe over half your salary. Now after 2 years you get €400/month if you are still unemployed. Incredibly generous compared to the UK and the obvious reason for such high youth unemployment - nobody takes people on if it costs so much to lay them off.

On the other hand those are just about the only benefits you can expect from the Spanish state. There is no housing benefit, child support, etc. You'll get sickness benefit if you fall ill at work, and paid maternity leave, but if you're out of work there is very little.

Heh. Someone on this forum has mentioned this before, wonder who that is?

But you have to remember that Madrid's economy is totally different to that of southern parts like Andalucia, Murcia etc.

Also May is the big fiesta month in Madrid. Go in August and the place is deserted.

I bet Madrid in August is ruddy hot. down at the coast perhaps?