House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Venger

Stories From The Squeezed Middle

Caught half of this on Radio 4 this morning, and about to listen to it again now. Thought I recognised the voice asking the questions; Millard.

A bit of moaning from women about money and their plights. "'We're skint" one of them says. They've been lucky, courtesy of 0.5% base rates and QE not squeezing them as hard as would otherwise have been the case, and values of their homes kept inflated.

Some of them counting on house prices, and some saying they're blessed they bought ages ago.

On iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk...queezed_Middle/

Rosie Millard travels north and south to meet those whose middle-income used to mean comfortable living but who are today finding the recession forcing them to face tough choices.

"We haven't had a holiday for two years, the boiler is broken. Before, we would have just gone out and bought one. Now we have to save up for one. We used to spend £100 a week on food. Now we spend £60 a week. Ronnie and I compete to see who can get the weekly bill lowest.".

The introduction of a minimum wage screwed them.

Corporations could then charge more for everything because a new minimum level of income was set, those had the prices increase but not their wages.

Executive pay has gone off the top of the scale since minimum wage was introduced. The people who get it are no better off because everything costs more, hence the talk of a living wage.

Sky had a piece on this yesterday, woman saying child credit changes are "difficult". Tough, if you want to pump out kids, take a job cleaning floors to pay for them if you must, but don`t expect the country to pick up the tab while you pretend to be "affluent" :lol: Clowns.

Me and mrs JFK listened to this today too, she was saying "Welcome to my world!"

... pass me the worlds smallest fiddle

The introduction of a minimum wage screwed them.

Corporations could then charge more for everything because a new minimum level of income was set, those had the prices increase but not their wages.

Executive pay has gone off the top of the scale since minimum wage was introduced. The people who get it are no better off because everything costs more, hence the talk of a living wage.

Executive pay has rocketed because of the minimum wage ?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Sky had a piece on this yesterday, woman saying child credit changes are "difficult". Tough, if you want to pump out kids, take a job cleaning floors to pay for them if you must, but don`t expect the country to pick up the tab while you pretend to be "affluent" :lol: Clowns.

Don't expect other peoples' kids to pay for your pension when you retire then.

A bit of moaning from women about money and their plights. "'We're skint" one of them says. They've been lucky, courtesy of 0.5% base rates and QE not squeezing them as hard as would otherwise have been the case, and values of their homes kept inflated.

An inspired phrase, vague enough to allow even some of the 1% to claim membership. For Ian Cowie and the Telegraph, those earning over £100k are in "the middle": http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ianmcowie/100011110/squeezed-middle-pay-higher-tax-rates-than-millionaires/

I would be more interested in hearing about the squeezed bottom.