House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

What People Spend On Food Around The World

A genuinely fascinating article in The Wail:

As some of the comments say, there does seem to be quite a strong reverse correlation between the amount spent and the nutritional quality, although Mexico looks to be a bit of an outlier, at least based on the family shown. The amount of confectionery that the British family eat in a week is truly horrific.

As some of the comments say, there does seem to be quite a strong reverse correlation between the amount spent and the nutritional quality

I don't about that. The amounts spend varied widely. There are all sorts of factors at play. Healthy food can be expensive in the US for example, and junk food takeaways cheap.

From the pictures alone, it looks like UK folk buy a lot of junk to prepare and eat at home, whereas in America they buy pre-made junk food. The UK and US both seem the worst for eating rubbish out of all the countries.

Having said that, the US family in N Carolina spent a load and eat rubbish, but the California family spend very little and have some healthy stuff on their table.

Anyway, very interesting.

The Wail seems to run out of stories, they ran this one a year or two ago already and we had a discussion about it at that time too... :rolleyes:

The Wail seems to run out of stories, they ran this one a year or two ago already and we had a discussion about it at that time too... :rolleyes:

I thought I was having a sense of deja vu.

One thing I did notice, is either those families were mainly tee-total or (out of a sense of embarrassment) completely understating their alcohol consumption. UK being the obvious one (one bottle of wine)