House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I ♥ spreadsheets

Oops, Credit Needed To Buy Food...

It suggests the equivalent of five million households used credit cards, overdrafts or savings to buy food.

Using a credit card does not necessarily mean your couldn't afford to pay cash.

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/myths/repayments.asp

Most people (around 60%) pay-off their balance in full each month

So, even if all of those 5M were using credit cards, that's only about 2M of them who are actually borrowing in any sense most people would recognize.

More sloppy journalism from Which and the BBC.

Using a credit card does not necessarily mean your couldn't afford to pay cash.

Correct. If you wanted to improve your credit rating you could shop at your local supermarket using your credit card and pay of the balance every month.

Then again it is the BBC.....seems that they cannot stop themselves manipulating every story, every set of figures.

Why is it borrow to pay for food?.....why not rent/mortgage or fuel, water, gas or clothes.... :unsure:

'Cos that's not the headline :wacko:

I guess I'm one of those who 'borrows' to pay for food, since I usually use a creditcard in a supermarket or restaurant. It's just like using the debitcard, but with the added bonus of cashback :)

'Cos that's not the headline :wacko:

I guess I'm one of those who 'borrows' to pay for food, since I usually use a creditcard in a supermarket or restaurant. It's just like using the debitcard, but with the added bonus of cashback :)

Putting money onto a credit card and paying it in full a few days later is not borrowing money....it is being sensible and managing your money to make the most out of it.

If someone is spending more each month on essentials than they get in each month....that is borrowing because they can't pay the credit card back in full, they pay the minimum payment. ;)

I did for 2 reasons:

1. I get cashback on my credit card so by using credit, then direct debiting to pay it off at month end, I effectively get a small discount.

2. My cash that would be used for food then earns a small amount of interest over that month.

Only small amounts but as one supermarket says Every Little Helps.

It's weird how in a financial crisis loads of people suddenly become stupid- they stupidly can't afford to pay their energy bills, their food bills and their rents.

Have I stumbled across a genuine insight here- that financial crisis are in fact caused by a mass outbreak of stupidity amongst the population?

Thing is, this is from the results of a survey so I guess it depends how the survey was worded.

Like many here, I put all my monthly spend on a credit card and pay it off in full a month later, accumulating cash back at the same time.