House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pent Up

Tracker Bars

I really like these and used to buy them for my packed lunch to take to work. I'm sure they used to cost £1.99 for 8 bars. Pretty steep as it is but I enjoyed them so paid the money. Anyway noticed the other day they had gone up to £2 well that's nothing I thought so picked the pack up but to my shock its now £2 for for 6 bars not 8! Well that was some weeks and I've long since been buying the cheaper supermarket own brand, not as nice but I refuse to pay for the trackers anymore. So imagine my delight when last week browsing the confectionary cereal bar section I noticed trackers are buy 1 get 1 free. So 12 for £2 as I oppose to 8 like I used to pay, good deal yes? Well no. When I got home excited to savour my delightful treat I found to my horror that not only do the boxes now contain 6 instead of 8 but the actual bars are smaller too! I'd say around 1/3 smaller so a fair chunk off!

So overall I would say that per gram these have doubled in price. Yet the price per box remains the same (well 1p more) I'm getting sick of all these secret inflation time to a strongly worded, if pointless, letter to my MP I think.

you often get that kind of product in £1 shops, also the cadburys dairy milk cereal bars are well recommended, and also often available in £1 shops at very good discount

yeah some other bar I used to buy is now an inch shorter. This means I have to eat two bars at a sitting. I will eventually start making my own bars. Does anyone have an recipes? A nice bar I found in the health food shop was a wheat free high oat bar with a selection of added ( some nuts, raspberry, sesame seed, pumpkin seed)

I really like these and used to buy them for my packed lunch to take to work. I'm sure they used to cost £1.99 for 8 bars. Pretty steep as it is but I enjoyed them so paid the money. Anyway noticed the other day they had gone up to £2 well that's nothing I thought so picked the pack up but to my shock its now £2 for for 6 bars not 8! Well that was some weeks and I've long since been buying the cheaper supermarket own brand, not as nice but I refuse to pay for the trackers anymore. So imagine my delight when last week browsing the confectionary cereal bar section I noticed trackers are buy 1 get 1 free. So 12 for £2 as I oppose to 8 like I used to pay, good deal yes? Well no. When I got home excited to savour my delightful treat I found to my horror that not only do the boxes now contain 6 instead of 8 but the actual bars are smaller too! I'd say around 1/3 smaller so a fair chunk off!

So overall I would say that per gram these have doubled in price. Yet the price per box remains the same (well 1p more) I'm getting sick of all these secret inflation time to a strongly worded, if pointless, letter to my MP I think.

happening everywhere......also noticed they sometimes reduce the contents but keep the packaging the same size to fool you.

Try making something similar yourself, not to difficult to do. ;)

yeah some other bar I used to buy is now an inch shorter. This means I have to eat two bars at a sitting. I will eventually start making my own bars. Does anyone have an recipes? A nice bar I found in the health food shop was a wheat free high oat bar with a selection of added ( some nuts, raspberry, sesame seed, pumpkin seed)

There are lots of good recipes but like all these types of bars and granola style cereals the ingredients to make them is also going up so only buy when there are deals about and vary the contents accordingly, mainly oats, sugar/honey, dried fruits, seeds and nuts....they all store very well. ;)

I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. Bought a box of bars and opened it to find the actual bars are an inch smaller than the box they are in.

I wrote to the company that makes them complaining and in fairness to them, they sent me a long letter saying some customers had asked them for smaller sized bars and since they were a small company they only had one machine for packing them. I felt rather mean afterwards as I'd accused them of hidden inflation trickery. They then offered to send me a box for the inconvenience. About a week later, a box of a dozen big bars turned up. The rest of the day passed in a dark chocolate and brazil nut cereal bar induced sugar haze - and the missus begged me to complain again.

OP - it wasn't that long ago that Tracker bars were 10 to a box - and a quid in Poundland.

I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. Bought a box of bars and opened it to find the actual bars are an inch smaller than the box they are in.

I wrote to the company that makes them complaining and in fairness to them, they sent me a long letter saying some customers had asked them for smaller sized bars and since they were a small company they only had one machine for packing them. I felt rather mean afterwards as I'd accused them of hidden inflation trickery. They then offered to send me a box for the inconvenience. About a week later, a box of a dozen big bars turned up. The rest of the day passed in a dark chocolate and brazil nut cereal bar induced sugar haze - and the missus begged me to complain again.

OP - it wasn't that long ago that Tracker bars were 10 to a box - and a quid in Poundland.

....believe that and you will believe anything. :P

Another thing I have noticed recently is the reduction of 'active ingredients' in products such as cleaning solutions and also in creams and potions you buy in a chemist.......one big manufacturer of a kitchen spray proudly announced 'new improved' on the new packaging....looked at the ingredients closely against the old packaging and the stuff that does the cleaning work had been reduced....does that mean it has been replaced with agua? ;)

you often get that kind of product in £1 shops, also the cadburys dairy milk cereal bars are well recommended, and also often available in £1 shops at very good discount

Yes sometimes but it's pot luck what's there on a given week.

Does your MP own the Tracker bar manufacturing company? :huh:

No but he is part of the system which allows inflation trickery. It's not point so much that the bars are smaller/less for your money it's the fact that this sort will never show in te official figures. So inflation stays the same yet you get 50% less for your money.

No but he is part of the system which allows inflation trickery. It's not point so much that the bars are smaller/less for your money it's the fact that this sort will never show in te official figures. So inflation stays the same yet you get 50% less for your money.

Stop buying them, cut your inflation. ;)

I knew exactly what was going to happen here when I got two thirds into your tale of Supermarket woe and before I had even finished reading it. This is really skirting along the borders of fraud, I've had similar experiences as I'm sure many others have. Lucozade 6 pack for a bargain price? Only when you get them home and look at the bottle you realise they are smaller than the ones you buy on their own.

Surely it's OK for a Tracker bar to follow inflation (Caused by low interest rates)? :lol:

Another thing I have noticed recently is the reduction of 'active ingredients' in products such as cleaning solutions and also in creams and potions you buy in a chemist.......one big manufacturer of a kitchen spray proudly announced 'new improved' on the new packaging....looked at the ingredients closely against the old packaging and the stuff that does the cleaning work had been reduced....does that mean it has been replaced with agua? ;)

I've noticed this. I bought the cheapest paint stripper in a big DIY store. At home I noticed the percentage of 'active ingredient' was bugger all compared to the more expensive ones. It wouldn't strip anything. Even if you stuck a fiver in its bra.

I've noticed this. I bought the cheapest paint stripper in a big DIY store. At home I noticed the percentage of 'active ingredient' was bugger all compared to the more expensive ones. It wouldn't strip anything. Even if you stuck a fiver in its bra.

Should have used a blow torch. :P