House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Recession And Divorce

I was perusing the National Stastics site for my Sociology homework when I came upon this

In 2004, the number of divorces granted in the UK increased by 0.2 per cent to 167,116, from 166,737 in 2003. This is the highest number of divorces since 1996, and the fourth successive annual increase. This is 7.2 per cent lower than the highest number of divorces which peaked in 1993 (180,018).

Is it just coincidence that it peaked towards the end of a recession (bearing in mind the time it takes to actually be granted)? Will the same happen this time? Either way, I would assume that it would put an enormous strain on a marriage if you were about to lose your job and your home.

I was perusing the National Stastics site for my Sociology homework when I came upon this

Is it just coincidence that it peaked towards the end of a recession (bearing in mind the time it takes to actually be granted)? Will the same happen this time? Either way, I would assume that it would put an enormous strain on a marriage if you were about to lose your job and your home.

OK, lets be miserable. Can you check the suicide and crime levels ? I don't think I will be surprised.

You obviously were not around at the time of the last HPC - divorces soared. I still meet many men who are bitter about what happened then. It seems to hit the self-employed especially hard.

I have no doubt, and this has been discussed before, that UK divorce rates will soar once the crash comes.

You obviously were not around at the time of the last HPC -

I was :D

None of it seemed to affect me or mine though. Although I remember people moaning about their motgage rates...............

Congrats on the new avatar, Libitina.

Divorce... From bitter experience there is nothing worse than a huge debt to cause marital strife. You would be amazed at how much more harmonious my family life has been since we bit the bullet and decided to STR.

My extended family feel sorry for me!!!

I feel sorry for them, especially my sister who has bought right at the top and is struggling with her conservatory etc etc.

Life is a funny thing really. Once you opt out of the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality it is amazing how many doors open to you. Everything is seen in a new light.

Life is a funny thing really. Once you opt out of the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality it is amazing how many doors open to you. Everything is seen in a new light.

Hear, hear! My friend is exchanging stuff tomorrow on their house. They were extremely lucky to get a cash buyer making a full asking price offer on their new build, giving them a 'profit' of approx £25k. Not bad in only 18 months, but they needed that to buy a house in the area of their choice -near to family and schools, cuts out 600 miles a week. The house they've bought is £67k dearer than the owner paid for it 3 years ago!

Hopefully next year we'll have an equally nice house, for a fraction of the price they've paid for theirs. Mwuahahahaha!

Edited by libitina

My target date is 2007 or 2008. In the meantime we have some things to be getting on with. Having been an OO once I am in no hurry to rush back in.

We have our eyes on the area we want and we will save and wait patiently.

There really is no rush.

My target date is 2007 or 2008. In the meantime we have some things to be getting on with. Having been an OO once I am in no hurry to rush back in.

We have our eyes on the area we want and we will save and wait patiently.

There really is no rush.

If all goes to plan I'll be starting Uni next year so we need to get our mortgage certificate before I leave work. Hubby is also spending 4 months in the Falklands next year, so as soon as his plane takes off I'll be around to the estate agents with certificate in hand. :lol:

Its just because when you're unemployed and sitting around the house all day you actually have to spend a lot of time with the missus until you manage to p*ss each other off. When you're working at least you get to get out of the house!

Its just because when you're unemployed and sitting around the house all day you actually have to spend a lot of time with the missus until you manage to p*ss each other off. When you're working at least you get to get out of the house!

wise words! ;)

edit: just took note of your name. pmsl!

Edited by libitina