House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

12 Months Of Crap Weather?

Can't get any co-ordinated summary of the UK's cooling over the last 12 months, because the Met Office isn't interested in cold numbers, no surprise there. But I have extracted their numbers for each individual month going back to April 2012. I have had to estimate March and April 2013. I do know March meaned at 2.5c and I am guessing the mean to be 6.5c on the long running series. Similarly, Nottingham came in at 7.3c for April, again substantially sub par courtesy of the big freeze to the 10th April.

Departure from series mean:-

April 2012............-1.1

May 201..............+0.1

June 2012...........-0.7

July 2012.............-1.0

August 2012......+0.4

Sept 2012...........-0.7

Oct 2012.............-0.4

Nov 2012............-0.4

Dec 2012...........-0.4

January 2013....-0.4

February 2013..-0.9

March 2013.......-4.0 (crashmonitor's est.)

April 2013..........-1,0 (crashmonitor's est.)

In summary colder than average, wetter than average (until this spring). But then early-mid spring was exceptionally cold.

Can't get any co-ordinated summary of the UK's cooling over the last 12 months, because the Met Office isn't interested in cold numbers, no surprise there. But I have extracted their numbers for each individual month going back to April 2012. I have had to estimate March and April 2013. I do know March meaned at 2.5c and I am guessing the mean to be 6.5c on the long running series. Similarly, Nottingham came in at 7.3c for April, again substantially sub par courtesy of the big freeze to the 10th April.

Departure from series mean:-

April 2012............-1.1

May 201..............+0.1

June 2012...........-0.7

July 2012.............-1.0

August 2012......+0.4

Sept 2012...........-0.7

Oct 2012.............-0.4

Nov 2012............-0.4

Dec 2012...........-0.4

January 2013....-0.4

February 2013..-0.9

March 2013.......-4.0 (crashmonitor's est.)

April 2013..........-1,0 (crashmonitor's est.)

In summary colder than average, wetter than average (until this spring). But then early-mid spring was exceptionally cold.

March -3.3C

April -0.23C according to the CET averages at http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cet;sess=

Have to agree with OP's sentiment. The last year has to be some of the darkest, coldest, dankest weather for years. Months went by without cloud cover lifting. I don't think I can remember such a long time going by as this.

this is weather.....not climate....they say.

Guest eight

Very chilly out today again. Needed a jumper and thick coat and the wind was still horrid.

I have a sinking suspicion that this year is going to follow the trend of recent years except for not having the usual two glorious weeks in March/April to get everybody's hopes up.

Very chilly out today again. Needed a jumper and thick coat and the wind was still horrid.

I have a sinking suspicion that this year is going to follow the trend of recent years except for not having the usual two glorious weeks in March/April to get everybody's hopes up.

Lovely blue sky in Devon :D

Guest eight

Lovely blue sky in Devon :D

Devon might as well be the Costa del Sol from here! You are about 500 miles to the south of me!

I was saying to the missus earlier that it's absolutely incredible to be in May and still have trees in the garden which have yet to bud, never mind produce leaves.

That said, the hedgerows around here are turning into a riot of wildflowers - as everything seems to be coming out at once. Our lawn looks like a plantain and dandelion plantation at the moment. There are hundreds of them!

Have had some really nice weather these past two weeks in Barnsley, cold at night, but warm in the day, the odd brief shower, but mostly sunny with a little cloud here and there, about two weeks ago we had really strong winds, but very calm recently. What with being up at the allotment, I'm now accustomed to wearing a t-shirt and ready to get my shorts out. I already have a tan on my arms/face.

dones't seem so unusual - I remember years in teh 80's when I was pleased to be seeing flurries of snow in May in the midlands..

That said - still unusually cold here in Hong Kong at a shivering 23 degrees. :lol:

It's been shorts and t shirt weather down here in Surrey for the past week. Everything is blooming together, the forsythia, magnolia, daffodil, gentians, bluebells, orchids plus the tree blossoms, the cherry has been awesome this year.

Looking good for a few more days too.

It's quite nice down here today, fairly near ( but not in ) Wales,so I have drawn the curtains, and am on the computer! :blink:

Have to agree with OP's sentiment. The last year has to be some of the darkest, coldest, dankest weather for years. Months went by without cloud cover lifting. I don't think I can remember such a long time going by as this.

It feels like it's been continuously November for the last three years.

It feels like it's been continuously November for the last three years.

Glad it's not just me, pl1/jtb, This recent sunny warm spell is hugely welcome and has done wonders for me mood and outlook :D

It's quite nice down here today, fairly near ( but not in ) Wales,so I have drawn the curtains, and am on the computer! :blink:

Very wise, Mr Pin. I got sunburnt on the inside of one forearm yesterday. That wouldn't have happened if I'd drawn the curtains.

Start a crap weather thread and you finally get the best bit of weather for parts of eastern England we have experienced in 14 months.

Meanwhile, this cooling has delayed spring, with mentions earlier in the thread of trees still in bud as opposed to leaf.

I note farmers are having a bad time of things (according to Farming Today this morning). Surprisingly Ireland has had no proper grass growth yet and there is a fodder crisis over there. Apparently they are having to import hay from the UK. (so the weather over there has been presumably even worse). Also charitable farmers in Lincolnshire are donating hay to farmers in northern England who likewise have no grass growth.

Guest eight

Start a crap weather thread and you finally get the best bit of weather for parts of eastern England we have experienced in 14 months.

Meanwhile, this cooling has delayed spring, with mentions earlier in the thread of trees still in bud as opposed to leaf.

I note farmers are having a bad time of things (according to Farming Today this morning). Surprisingly Ireland has had no proper grass growth yet and there is a fodder crisis over there. Apparently they are having to import hay from the UK. (so the weather over there has been presumably even worse). Also charitable farmers in Lincolnshire are donating hay to farmers in northern England who likewise have no grass growth.

There were still a few tiny traces of snow on the top near Hawes yesterday! It was a beautiful day though and today is similar. Frankly I think we deserve a few.

There were still a few tiny traces of snow on the top near Hawes yesterday! It was a beautiful day though and today is similar. Frankly I think we deserve a few.

Certainly quite a few on the north Pennines, and some of them a surprisingly long way down too. A few patches left in the Lake District too (the Pennines usually get

more snow despite not being quite as high - although at just shy of 3000' the height difference probably doesn't matter that much). The lack of rain is probably more responsible for the snow staying than the cold, at least until it gets to the sort of temperatures we're having now.

Well that's eight months in a row below average or a 1/ 256 chance if these things were random, which they are not,

So what would the chances be if they were highly autocorrelated?

Very wise, Mr Pin. I got sunburnt on the inside of one forearm yesterday. That wouldn't have happened if I'd drawn the curtains.

I'll bet that was the arm you stick out of your truck window! ;)