House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Dornier 17: Salvaging A Rare Wwii Plane From The Seabed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22380915

Work begins on Friday to raise a unique World War II aircraft from the floor of the English Channel just off the Kent coast. The Dornier 17 aircraft is the last of its kind, and lies in 50ft of water on the Goodwin Sands. The salvage is just the start of a two-year restoration project by the RAF Museum in Hendon.

Summer 1940 and Britain stands alone in Europe against seemingly unstoppable German military success.

For weeks on end, wave after wave of German aircraft cross the English coast, under orders to destroy the RAF and pave the way for a Nazi invasion.

The Dornier 17 is one of the mainstays of those German bomber fleets waging what the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, soon christened the Battle of Britain.

I hope they get it out in one piece, although reading the article it appears to be a major job.

I doubt very much that its in airwothy condition at the moment....

Ryanair have it booked for immediate service

The RAF Museum resolved to salvage it and put it on display at its Hendon base. To do so its raised half a million pounds, including £345,000 from the National Heritage Memorial Fund.

Is it really going to bring in help increase commercial revenues significantly for the RAF Museum Hendon base? Sounds like a big waste of money to me.

Is it really going to bring in help increase commercial revenues significantly for the RAF Museum Hendon base? Sounds like a big waste of money to me.

Doubt it - I think entry to the museum is free? Great day out though.

Ever read the story of "glacier girl"? My link

They had to tunnel an insane depth into ice and use steam to create a cave around it.

Doubt it - I think entry to the museum is free? Great day out though.

Perhaps it could lure some more German tourists over, spending in the UK economy whilst here. Told there are quite a few who like to visit areas of their war history, although I really don't know how true that is. I'm less certain on how Germans will take to the upcoming £5 notes with Churchill though.

Ah the old Flying Pencil

Not any left?...they really were useless.

Indeed! Are lottery funds paying for it? For it really is no use at all! :huh:

Ah the old Flying Pencil

Not any left?...they really were useless.

A lot of German stuff wasnt preserved. There are only six tiger tanks in the world, for example, and most Do 17's would have been scrapped by the Germans before the war ended.

Hell's teeth. Not everything has to have a financial value attached to it. You sound like Tory Boy.

Hell's teeth. Not everything has to have a financial value attached to it. You sound like Tory Boy.

If it brings German tourists it might be worth the investment.

6 tigers left eh. Think I saw something about that on a tv show about that last year.

Thought your avatar was that T-34 tank on waste-ground on Mandela Way in London at first glance. £7,000 bargain. Work of art where it is, complete oddity in the urban sprawl. Owner had lost planning permission to build on the site. Gun barrel said to be locked on target of the council offices in the distance.

If it brings German tourists it might be worth the investment.

6 tigers left eh. Think I saw something about that on a tv show about that last year.

Thought your avatar was that T-34 tank on waste-ground on Mandela Way in London at first glance. £7,000 bargain. Work of art where it is, complete oddity in the urban sprawl. Owner had lost planning permission to build on the site. Gun barrel said to be locked on target of the council offices in the distance.

I've posted this before but this Stug-III being pulled out of a bog is quite impressive. Hosed down it looks like it was dumped in there yesterday

There's a whole genre of tanks being pulled from bog videos on Youtube

My favourite incarnation of the Mandela Way T-34...

2q1ay52.jpg

Nope, that's deifinitely a Sturmgeschütz III

The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun was Germany's most produced armoured fighting vehicle during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the proven Panzer III tank. Initially intended as a mobile, armoured light gun for infantry support, the StuG was continually modified and was widely employed as a tank destroyer.

His avatar is actually the picture from the wikipedia page.

Surprised no-ones mentioned the BBC documentary about trying to re-fly the B-29 Kee Bird off Greenland. ice. Much better than it sounds even if it doesn't sound like your sort of thing. Genuine seat of the pants adventure with no need whatsoever for the modern trend of TV producers introducing faux-jeopardy.

Can't find the BBC one but this is the PBS effort:

Nope, that's deifinitely a Sturmgeschütz III

The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun was Germany's most produced armoured fighting vehicle during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the proven Panzer III tank. Initially intended as a mobile, armoured light gun for infantry support, the StuG was continually modified and was widely employed as a tank destroyer.

His avatar is actually the picture from the wikipedia page.

Its a real cutie :)

Will this be worth it ?

I remember they spent a shedload on the Mary Rose and that just looked like a pile of sticks when they brought it up, no guns or anything.

The vasa in stockholm, now that was something worth recovering. Great museum as well.

I'd love to see on of these flying. In fact I'd love to see any German WW2 aircraft at uk air shows. Only ever seen 109s

If any is interested in war relics google peleliu relics there's some amazing stuff still left there.

Also another good one is the b29, over exposed, in the Peak District which crashed in 47. Would love to visit that one.

Will this be worth it ?

I remember they spent a shedload on the Mary Rose and that just looked like a pile of sticks when they brought it up, no guns or anything.

The vasa in stockholm, now that was something worth recovering. Great museum as well.

It depends on your point of view. If you view it from a very shallow perspective then yes its a pile of sticks. On the other hand you may want to consider what an amazing piece of archaeology it is. Including the cannon they recovered. :rolleyes:

As to the Do17, considering this is the only complete fuselage of a historically important aircraft in existence anywhere in the world, then yes, for the equivalent of about a month's salary for a premier league striker, its worth it.