House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Ignoring The Real Issue?

Over the last week or so ive been astounded of the story of the conman who sold golf ball detectors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10032949/James-McCormick-hawker-of-fake-bomb-detectors-has-blood-on-his-hands.html

Not over his actions, scammers like him seem to be two a penny.

No, the issue for me is how public organizations can waste tens of millions of public funds on something that even the most uninformed average mug would smell a rat over. And not face any questions from the media or government whatsoever

You cant make this stuff up...

Dad-of-two McCormick used a mixture of charm and sales patter to fool clients into believing the detector was a bomb finder.

He shamelessly claimed they could “bypass all concealment methods” – finding targets through walls, under water and up to 30ft underground.

"fool clients" :lol:, Clients. These 'clients' arent Maud and Horace at a BTL seminar, they are highly paid PROFESSIONALS. Supposedly

He had produced lavish brochures boasting his machines could detect tiny quantities of explosives from distances of up to three miles.

They were touted as being suitable for use at customs checkpoints, military bases and nuclear installations.

They were also said to be capable of finding heroin, cocaine, ivory, human tissue and banknotes. They could do none of those things.

:lol: Yeah, banknotes, and if you believe that, im sure they'll find pots of gold at the ends of rainbows too...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/conman-james-mccormick-sold-golf-1850330

Surely either the procurement staff were in on the crime, or else are stupid at a level that defies belief. He is merely an immoral chancer who was overcome with greed. Its the buyers at the UN who didnt do due diligence, who are the ones PAID to vet guys like this and thoroughly test products to weed out scum. Its them who the onus should be on.

Its not just McCormick who should be on trial, its dozens of people on the public payroll who either defrauded or wasted millions in public money.

Once again, the press are in dereliction of duty in covering (and indeed focusing attention) this part of the story. If the UN can waste tens of millions on something so obviously counterfeit, god knows how many billions theyve wasted on other things over the years.

Im not angry at this guy.Though I DESPAIR at public organizations however if this is the standard they use when sourcing things.

Apparently a few bribes were involved, before Iraq agreed to buy his useless tat!! :huh::blink:

Guest eight

Its not just McCormick who should be on trial, its dozens of people on the public payroll who either defrauded or wasted millions in public money.

I wouldn't have charged him with anything. In fact I think he deserves the Queen's Award for Exports.

I wouldn't have charged him with anything. In fact I think he deserves the Queen's Award for Exports.

Well he did attend a UK trade and investment seminar about 'how to sell to the UN', so i guess he should be held up as a shining success story.

Well he did attend a UK trade and investment seminar about 'how to sell to the UN', so i guess he should be held up as a shining success story.

Sensible choice. Coming to an English street any day now...

free.jpg

Bribery... I've been involved in acceptance testing for various western militaries and it's very thorough and takes a long time; what amazes me is that Belgium and Japan bought them, the managers that agreed to buy them should be looking at jail time..

Surely there's an easy test for selling bomb detectors.

Place the saleman in a minefield - if he can use his product to get out, then buy some. Anyone not willing to participate obviously doesn't have enough faith in what they're selling.

Surely there's an easy test for selling bomb detectors.

Place the saleman in a minefield - if he can use his product to get out, then buy some. Anyone not willing to participate obviously doesn't have enough faith in what they're selling.

:lol:

I like your thinking.

Guest eight

Of course, this is just one scam that got uncovered - presumably because the guy upset somebody at his local Lodge, or something. But you can imagine how many continue to this day. I suspect this is half the reason we have these spurious "wars" in the first place - so we can sell shit into the aftermath.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the other issue that annoys me about this story is that not only did the bomb detector not detect bombs (obviously), but neither did the golf ball detector detect golf balls! It was a novelty toy! A joke toy. Even the journos don't seem to understand the difference between science and science fiction. This was not made clear in many news reports. If there was something that could detect golf balls I'd be pretty bloody impressed.

Private companies scam the public?

That's kinda what they do.

Sugar famously sold hi-fi units with knobs on the front that weren't connected to anything. Now he's held up as the most successful business guru the UK ever produced.

Same old.