House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moonriver

One Show Now.. Disucssing Rent Arrears

Dopey "benefit claimant" who had 6 kids in the house can't afford to pay the rent, even though he would have managed to function without it before.

No mention that rents are too high.

Missed the beginning....but hopefully this short item might put off a few prospective BTL'ers.

increase in arrears says guy delivering arrears letters because more tenants are struggling with bills and more amateur LL's have come into the market. .

During housing boom, BTL was seen as a sure fire way of making money said presenter,

LL's liked security of tenants on HB, but now with universal credit this has changed, and National LL's Assoc report there is now over £220m of rent arrears for their members.

One couple who are BTL'ers bought a family home and rented instead of selling their previous own house. They have not been paid any rent for 3 months, so they have been forced to pay their mortgage on credit cards or borrowed it off family.

:o some business if they have to resort to this after only missing 3 months rent.

They feel let down by their tenants, they say, and don't care what happens to tenants as they will be given a nice new 4 bed house, so will probably be better off than they as LL's will be. :unsure:

One third of HB clamiants rent off private LL's. There is likely to be increase in arrears when universal credit is rolled out, as piloted areas have already had an increase in arrears.

2 months arrears are allowed before action can be taken.

No mention that rents are too high.

No there never is, unfortunately.

But at least the message came over that BTL is not going to be so easy as it used to be, now universal credit is arriving.

Media seems to be concentrating on Interest only ATM.

Over the past couple of days ive heard Coalition minister 1) say "we need to get Interest only mortgages going again to help people get on the property ladder."

and coalition minister 2) say "interest only mortgages could well be the next mis-selling scandal"

Left hand not talking to right hand.

Over the past couple of days ive heard Coalition minister 1) say "we need to get Interest only mortgages going again to help people get on the property ladder."

and coalition minister 2) say "interest only mortgages could well be the next mis-selling scandal"

Same old cast-iron blinkers. After the Budget I emailed my MP to say I was in despair at this latest attempt to prop up house prices.

Received a reply to say he shared some of my concerns and would fwd my email to the housing minister.

Of course the reply I eventually got said among other things, 'It is simply not true to say that Right to Buy will support (forget the exact word) house prices.'

right hand on their C0CKs.... :angry: :angry: :angry: