House Price Crash Forum

Austerity Effects

man o' the year

HOLA441

A few things happening locally here in North Somerset.

1) A few locals had noted that local Tesco car park was much less busy than usual over last few weeks. We have noted the acceleration self scan and self check out now taking nearly a third of the till space. Now a discussion with a couple of separate members of staff revealed that as staff leave they are not being replaced.

2) Local contractor for water board massively in debt and staff in one half of company not been paid for several weeks. Two of their suppliers are owed more than £1 million.

Contract with water board up for renewal imminently.

3) Just booked night away for family of 4 for £49 plus £17 for breakfasts in Southampton. Two months ago stayed in Surrey for £69 per night breakfast included and swimming pool! This is less than cost for our hotel. Both hotel bookings including VAT and 15% commission though agency.

Makes you think.

HOLA442

Car related observations; I was in the Brighton CAB office last month and watched as a newish Bentley was carefully parked across the road, the driver then came into the CAB office for an appointment.

Two weeks ago, again in Brighton, was admiring a Mercedes CLK AMG convertible while waiting to cross the road, a pensioner couple came out of Poundland with their shopping and got into the car, I heard the man say "I just gave you twenty quid, what are we going to do for petrol?".

HOLA443

Car related observations; I was in the Brighton CAB office last month and watched as a newish Bentley was carefully parked across the road, the driver then came into the CAB office for an appointment.

Two weeks ago, again in Brighton, was admiring a Mercedes CLK AMG convertible while waiting to cross the road, a pensioner couple came out of Poundland with their shopping and got into the car, I heard the man say "I just gave you twenty quid, what are we going to do for petrol?".

Are they thick? Remortgage the house, of course.

HOLA444

A few locals had noted that local Tesco car park was much less busy than usual over last few weeks. We have noted the acceleration self scan and self check out now taking nearly a third of the till space. Now a discussion with a couple of separate members of staff revealed that as staff leave they are not being replaced.

A few weeks ago I was hassled by the Tesco checkout gaulieter. Was stood in the queue and she insisted I leave it and use the self check machines, which were empty.

"No, it's OK, I'll wait. In any case those things are unreliable. Tesco don't install them to improve service, they do it so that the customers can do your jobs for free and then they can lay you all off."

"Oh, really, Tesco would never do that!" she said.

I despair.

HOLA445

Nice!

HOLA446
HOLA447

Nice!

I smiled quietly :-)

Anybody else been noticing old people driving brand new "inappropriate" cars? The other day I saw a nice brand new Citroen or Peugout supermini convertible in a moden pastel colour scheme, looked at the driver expecting some pretty young girl, was actually being driven by a 70 year old woman with a mad grin! MEW or what.

HOLA448
HOLA449

A few weeks ago I was hassled by the Tesco checkout gaulieter. Was stood in the queue and she insisted I leave it and use the self check machines, which were empty.

"No, it's OK, I'll wait. In any case those things are unreliable. Tesco don't install them to improve service, they do it so that the customers can do your jobs for free and then they can lay you all off."

"Oh, really, Tesco would never do that!" she said.

I despair.

I had a similar conversation with the manager of a grocery store I worked for 25 years ago at the time bar code scanners were being introduced at the checkouts.

HOLA4410

Slightly off topic but I enjoy the way the checkout people used to ask you for your Clubcard and then look at you as if you're a child rapist for not having one, whereas now they see that you look like a child rapist and say, 'No Clubcard?' Which is a great improvement.

HOLA4411

Slightly off topic but I enjoy the way the checkout people used to ask you for your Clubcard and then look at you as if you're a child rapist for not having one, whereas now they see that you look like a child rapist and say, 'No Clubcard?' Which is a great improvement.

There's progress for you!

I'm only prepared to fill my wallet with two of those cards and those are for the chains I buy petrol at. As it happens one is Tesco but I tend not to use it when shopping there as I don't want them knowing too mcuh about me.

HOLA4412

On second thoughts, perhaps they could flog the vanity plate.

MEW800M

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Anybody else been noticing old people driving brand new "inappropriate" cars? The other day I saw a nice brand new Citroen or Peugout supermini convertible in a moden pastel colour scheme, looked at the driver expecting some pretty young girl, was actually being driven by a 70 year old woman with a mad grin! MEW or what.

They worked hard all their lives and deserve it. Why don't they have any grandchildren? Why can't they downsize, none of these young people seem to have any money. It's all a mystery. I suspect foreigners.

HOLA4417

I smiled quietly :-)

My 68 y/o uncle has always liked his cars, and a couple of years ago treated himself to a 2 y/o Jag XKR (last of the 4.2s) for about 50% off the new price. Put it this way, he didn't need to MEW for it, and I don't think he shops at Poundland....

He hasn't let me have a go in it, annoyingly :angry: .