House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penbat1

Excellent Comments By New Childrens Czar On Bullying

Bullying is brutal.

It defines people for their whole lives and reflects the casual nature of violent thinking in this country.

Many bullies are not even aware that this is what they do because it is so normal for them.

To my mind it is a problem with deep roots and will never completely go away.

But concerted mass-involvement by all in society saying it is unacceptable is a start.

Bullying is brutal.

It defines people for their whole lives and reflects the casual nature of violent thinking in this country.

Many bullies are not even aware that this is what they do because it is so normal for them.

To my mind it is a problem with deep roots and will never completely go away.

But concerted mass-involvement by all in society saying it is unacceptable is a start.

Good post. Just to give a few examples, Toyah Wilcox, Ozzy Ozbourne, Billy Connolly, John Peel and Kate Bush were all badly bullied or abused in their childhood and it affected them greatly. John Lennon was a seriously bad bully, f*cking up the lives of his wife Cynthia and son Julian.

Unfortunately the government (New Labour in particular) often uses bullying as a political tool so they are unlikely to stamp it out. Just to give one example in the recent Terrorism Bill there was arm-twisting, spin and bullying involved to try get the MPs to tow Tony Bliar's line. Using the threat of an ASBO to make children respectful wont work - it is a two way process - adults need to earn children's respect as well.

Your mention of Lennon raises the point about adult bullies.

Power-relationships (whether it is through coercion or manipulation) seem to be so acceptable it is not surprising that children's behaviour echoes what they see in their own families and other adults around them. The old chestnut about the abused becoming the abuser also comes to mind.

The irony for me is that the names you have quoted have probably used their childhood experiences as a wellspring for their creativity. The energy created by these childhood experiences can be harnessed and used positively but most don't swim, they sink or repress it/pass it on to others as being normal.

Your mention of Lennon raises the point about adult bullies.

Power-relationships (whether it is through coercion or manipulation) seem to be so acceptable it is not surprising that children's behaviour echoes what they see in their own families and other adults around them. The old chestnut about the abused becoming the abuser also comes to mind.

The irony for me is that the names you have quoted have probably used their childhood experiences as a wellspring for their creativity. The energy created by these childhood experiences can be harnessed and used positively but most don't swim, they sink or repress it/pass it on to others as being normal.

I take your point, Toyah Wilcox managed to displace her anger at being bullied into becoming a punk singer and from that she managed to move into being a mainstream media person. But most are likely to come badly out of bullying but we dont know their names because they arent famous.

But most are likely to come badly out of bullying but we dont know their names because they arent famous.

That's true.

PS Interesting website BTW. I have not looked at it in depth but have you documented much research about the positive effects of reading (esp. novels) on EQ and the development of empathy?